Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Anyone hunting this from Mill Creek or Swampy Pass trail heads.
Looks like I will be hunting it alone.

Camping at trail head with two mules.

Arriving Wed, Oct 16th, departing Monday, Oct. 28

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Son-in-Law and his brother will be going up the trail from mill creek 1st season. I believe he's talked with you before about how to hunt that unit. I took a pass this year, maybe another time.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Son-in-Law and his brother will be going up the trail from mill creek 1st season. I believe he's talked with you before about how to hunt that unit. I took a pass this year, maybe another time.

Yea, first season gets to be some crowded. It usually takes me 3-4 days to find the elk and then the season is over in 5 days.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I never understood why 1st rifle was only 5 days. They could add a couple of days at the start of the season without interfering with other seasons.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Vince:

I just got back from a backpack trip into that area. Hiked the Mill-Castle loop in Four days, three nights. The upper basins are pretty dry, forage is poor above 12,500'. No large herds hanging out in the high basins. The forage is really lush around timberline and I think that's where they are hanging out right now. Local outfitter told me that it was dry early in the season but has been raining lately.

It rained every evening while I was there. But a lot of the seeps are dry. I think this year will be a lot like last year.

I took this photo from the Mill Creek parking lot.
[Linked Image]
I have a 3rd season tag otherwise I would jump at this invitation. .

For any of you guys who want to learn something about elk hunting, saddlesore is a great guy to learn from and he's good camp company.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
KC. Was there water in Mill Creek?

Looks like my plan of where I told you I would hunt might be good, if they drift down to those low hay fields.

Thanks for the report.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Vince:

Sure there's water in Mill Creek. Even in the driest years there's always water in that creek. But the level is low enough that it's not too difficult to cross.

Good luck.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I'll be in 54 starting next Wednesday. Pm me after ml and I'll give you a report you've been very helpful to me in the past.

West Kentucky Boy
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm going in the third season.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought everyone was going to boycott Co for their gun grabbing ways. Boy that lasted a long time. LOL

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
I thought everyone was going to boycott Co for their gun grabbing ways. Boy that lasted a long time. LOL

I didn't send them $750+ for moose, goat an sheep license. What did you do to help the cause?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I didn't send them $750+ for moose, goat an sheep license. What did you do to help the cause?

I didn't hunt there this year and I bypassed them while on vacation this spring on my trip to the gulf of Mexico.

NRA Lifetime Member
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just got back from a weekend trip. Saw this pretty little 4x5 and a couple others.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry for the poor picture quality from my small point-and-shoot.

KC

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Sure doesn't look they are way up high.

Vince

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Can you get out the message to especially boycott are 23 / 24, which is the Meeker area. I know a guy who knows a guy who said area 23 / 24 is VERY anti-gun. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TAGLARRY

Can you get out the message to especially boycott are 23 / 24, which is the Meeker area. I know a guy who knows a guy who said area 23 / 24 is VERY anti-gun. smile

The rich guys up the White River may be anti-gun, but they aren't residents. The Meeker Gun Club is one of my favorite ranges and the members that I have met are all first-class gun guys. Now that the petroleum boom is subsiding, hunters and anglers are one of Meeker's important economic drivers.

I have spent a lot of time in Meeker and surroundings for the last twenty years, and not just during elk season. Never met anyone who was particularly anti-gun. Hell, the sheriff is an avid hunter who hunts just about anything and hangs out with Greg Tannel.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by mudhen

The rich guys up the White River may be anti-gun, but they aren't residents. The Meeker Gun Club is one of my favorite ranges and the members that I have met are all first-class gun guys. Now that the petroleum boom is subsiding, hunters and anglers are one of Meeker's important economic drivers.

I have spent a lot of time in Meeker and surroundings for the last twenty years, and not just during elk season. Never met anyone who was particularly anti-gun. Hell, the sheriff is an avid hunter who hunts just about anything and hangs out with Greg Tannel.

I was just poking fun to keep the non-residents out of my favorite hunting area.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I had every intension of doing just that. Then my older brother calles me up and tells me that he's ready to go again and am I up. What can I say I gave into peer pressure.......

Bad decisions make good stories.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mudhen

I was just poking fun to keep the non-residents out of my favorite hunting area.

Well, it is true that those guys have pretty much shot all of the elk and the mule deer haven't recovered from the awful winter of three years ago...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KC
Just got back from a weekend trip. Saw this pretty little 4x5 and a couple others.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry for the poor picture quality from my small point-and-shoot.

KC

Thanks for posting these up KC! I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw that guy hopping the fence so close to us - he had no clue we were there. I can hardly wait for 3rd season to come around!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (257 mag, 44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 10 invisible), 1,610 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.