Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Any of you running one? Any issues?

I bought one and a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster for a light weight pocket pistol for cargo shorts etc. Turned out to be a bad idea, darn thing jams at least twice per mag and shoots a foot low at 12yds. Not to mention the horrid accuracy when it did shoot. Tried Win SXZ, UMC FMJs, and Federal GB 115 JHPs, same results for all. Davidson's is going to replace it, but I'm not so sure I could even trust a replacement. I suppose a few hundred flawless rounds could change that opinion. May trip the replacement and go with the LC9.

Thanks,

loder

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They require about a 150 rounds for a proper breakin. At least my first one did. Most of my new CCW handguns, I put at least 200 rounds downrange before carrying for self defense.

That being said, I still hated the trigger on the Keltec and the tiny sights. So I traded mine off for a Kahr CM-9' which costs about another $150 bucks & never looked back. Great trigger & great sights. I think I paid $389. For my Kahr new.
You won't have any problems selling your Keltec, should you decide to trade up.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for the info. I don't mind spending the extra at all, the only reason I went with the PF9 was it was the lightest I handled at the LGSs I shopped at. I wish I could have gotten my hands on a CM-9, but all the local shops had were CWs. It was close between the PF-9 and LC9, but the lighter weight of the PF-9 won out. If I had my drathers I'd pack my XDmc, but that's alittle big for pocket carry. How is the CM size wise in comparison to the PF9?

Thanks!

loder

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Looked in the classifieds and low and behold a CM9 with 3 mags for $375 shipped. Done deal laugh

Looks like the replacement PF9 will be going down the road.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That was a great deal! Kahr mags are $35 bucks apiece. You'll love the trigger & sights. It's about the same size as the Keltec, excep wider. It still fits in the pocket of my Wranglers.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a new Kel-Tec PF9 earlier this year. Took it out of the box and put 200 rounds through it in one, one-hour session without a hitch... except to my hand. Chewed up the base of my thumb knuckle from the pounding and made my hand a little tender. Probably somewhat contributable to the short little grip not allowing me to keep such a lightweight little gun from moving. Part of the tradeoff for compactness I guess.

No functioning bobbles of any type. Liked the sights for such a tiny gun, and loved the trigger; matter-of-fact, I liked the trigger better than my Kahr P9. I used to own a Kahr PM9 and this P9, but didn't like such a short grip and decided the concealability wasn't worth it, so I sold the PM9, but kept the P9. Guess I changed my mind back again when I bought the Kel-Tec. wink Actually, I also bought a Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 and a full-size Ruger SR9, so I've got the bases covered from tiny to full-sized.

Here's a picture after my 200 round shooting session as it came from the box blued...
[Linked Image]
And last month I got it back from Mahovsky's Metalife. Looks like this now...
[Linked Image]

Last edited by bhemry; 09/10/13. Reason: added a couple words for clarification
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Our department stopped allowing officers to carry a Kel Tech as a off-duty gun, too many problems. The .32 and .380 seemed to have the most issues.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Really ? My little Keltec .32 is the most reliable .32 auto I ve ever owned, including Beretta Tomcats & the SeeCamp.

Mine has never jammed with hardball or ANY HP Ammo. And I can hit golf balls at 10 yards with it all day long. I wouldn't take $500 for mine. JMHO

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Like Chili says, the 32's, most of 'em, run fine. The 380 Keltecs are jamma-matics, many of 'em. Keltec QC sucks and blows.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Really ? My little Keltec .32 is the most reliable .32 auto I ve ever owned, including Beretta Tomcats & the SeeCamp.

Mine has never jammed with hardball or ANY HP Ammo. And I can hit golf balls at 10 yards with it all day long. I wouldn't take $500 for mine. JMHO

They were cut about 2 years ago with the option to be grandfathered in. Now, there are just a handful left.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Any of you running one? Any issues?

I bought one and a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster for a light weight pocket pistol for cargo shorts etc. Turned out to be a bad idea, darn thing jams at least twice per mag and shoots a foot low at 12yds. Not to mention the horrid accuracy when it did shoot. Tried Win SXZ, UMC FMJs, and Federal GB 115 JHPs, same results for all. Davidson's is going to replace it, but I'm not so sure I could even trust a replacement. I suppose a few hundred flawless rounds could change that opinion. May trip the replacement and go with the LC9.

Thanks,

loder

Yes, I have had one for several years.

The only problem I have had is mine shoots about 3 inches left at 25 yards into a 6 round, 6 inch group. Which for me isn't bad. I plan to file the inside of the rear sight to allow more adjustment when I get to it.

I did put the trigger shoe on it. I liked the improved feel. Same for the pocket clip.

Wal-Mart 115gr Remington JHP's work without issue in mine. Actually, so has any of the ammo I have tried.

FWIW, I still have a P-32. I have owned it for several years. It is a better front pocket gun and penetrates better than a .380.
It too has been reliable.

The Kel-Tec's haven't replaced my G-27 or G-19 but they are serviceable enough in hot weather. I prefer to carry the PF_9 in an IWB holster myself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just sent my pf 9 back to kel tec, failure to eject on a couple rounds every other magazine. sorry I don't want to waste 200 rounds of ammo when I am having this many problems. they sent me a new ejector, so I went to replace it and with very light torque the screw stripped out. so now the gun is on its way back to kel tec.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I sold my PF-9 when I started to see signs that the little beast was not going to have the longevity I expected. I bought the CW-9 and couldn't be happier. A tad larger, but significantly better engineered. But not perfect.

When you really look at the PF-9 you see that it has been engineered to the absolute minimum specifications to contain the round. If you go to the Keltec owner's group KTOG, you find a lot of problems with the gun, but the long time Keltec owners always say the same thing: "Send it back, Keltec will make it right."

I find that advice - in a carry gun - to be nothing short of ridiculous.
A lot of corners were cut to make the claim that it's the smallest and lightest 9mm semi-auto on the market. I'd rather it be an ounce or two heavier and a bit more robust. I can carry the weight. I'm not a puzzy.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks guys!

I'm getting this one replaced and sending the replacement down the road. Looking fwd to trying out the Kahr CM9.

Have a good one,

loder

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 160user, 19rabbit52, 16Racing, 67 invisible), 3,136 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.