Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm looking at getting a cabelas s30V alaska guide Vanguard knife and wondering if:
1. Anyone has one and if brittle issues?
2. Will I need new sharpening stones?
3. Will solvents or lacquer thinner remove the cabelas logo off the blade?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I know a lot of you guys are into custom knives here, but no one has an opinion on a higher grade working mans knife?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have one, they aren't brittle but you need to be more patient sharpening SV30

Yes, the logo can be scratched off, the coating behind it didn't show any marks

Last edited by Spotshooter; 09/11/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot of guys like that steel, holds and edge well. Not sure about the logo, if it is etched into the blade its not going anywhere. You should check out some of the custom makers on this site, for another 50 or 60 bucks you can get a quality custom that is not mass produced but handmade, and made well. Customer service with a custom maker will always be better than dealing with a big chain if you have questions or concerns. These guys like what they do and are passionate about making sure their customers enjoy their finished product, because after all their name is attached to it. Just my 2 cents.

God Bless,
MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I once had a Alaskan Guide 110. If used as a knife and not a pry bar you'll have no problems with brittleness. If you let s30v get dull then you'll wish you had diamond stones. I too couldn't stand the cabelas logo. Never tried to remove it.

IMO you should contact Vince and get yourself something special.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Cabelas does not make knives, so I don't know what company or country these come from.
What do you know about this knife other than the name????

CPM S30V is an excellent knife steel. If mfd and heat treated properly, there should be no brittleness issues.
If you are using soft Arkansas stones now, yes you will need to make a change.

If the logo was etched in, removing it would probably mean grinding the bevel down as deep as the etch. I doubt it is painted on. Why would you destroy the logo of a "higher grade working mans knife"????

If you like the knife, buy it. A field report back could be helpful to others.
jmho
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 09/11/13.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't have one, but I would suspect the logo was etched, in which case you won't take it off with solvent. If it is etched, a little light sanding starting with a fairly heavy grit paper working with strokes always in the same direction as the current scratch pattern will likely take it right off. Work down with progressively lighter grit paper working thru to about 2000 grit paper or until you are happy with the finish and it's consistent with the rest of the blade should get you there. As I said, it's all just speculation since I've never even seen the knife you're talking about. If the heat treat is done properly S30V is tough steel, hard to sharpen, but will hold an edge a long time. Think diamond stones and once you get it sharp, don't let it get dull.

Dale

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by woodson

IMO you should contact Vince and get yourself something special.

What is Vince's handle?

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Cabelas does not make knives, so I don't know what company or country these come from.

If the logo was etched in, removing it would probably mean grinding the bevel down as deep as the etch. I doubt it is painted on. Why would you destroy the logo of a "higher grade working mans knife"????

Knife is made for cabelas by Buck. Basic vanguard with a black coated and a yellow cabelas logo.

Why remove the logo - its ugly and I don't care to advertise for company's by paying for their logo... kinda like when you see a kid wearing a under armor logo hat... no function to the fabric in the hat other than saying "I am willing to pay 3x for a product with no performance bennefits other than 3 square inches of stitching for vanity and to advertise for under armor".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
o

It's a Buck Vanguard with a Cabelas logo.
I'm sure you know that Buck makes a great knife right here in Idaho=USofA and has one of the best warranty/CS records in the industry.

I have an old Vanguard I bought when they first came out some 30+ years ago. Not sure what steel it's made with but it preforms like stated above, ie; hard to sharpen but tougher'n an old boot heel. Can't speak to the brittle part as I don't use my knives as pry bars but fwiw it hasn't broken after field dressing and skinning probably two dozen Deer and it gets plenty cold here in ID.

Custom knives are nice (especially for a working man;) and I'd sure go that route if you can afford it but there's nothing wrong with a good ol Buck knife.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A custom won't work with the above scenario by the OP as it will most assuredly have the makers logo on it.

Buck has always been known to produce a good knife.
Are they still totally American made????
Paul Bos was their heat treat guru so that should not be and issue.

I would expect the knife in question to perform at least up to its price point and quite possibly beyond. Most do.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
vcmcustomknives.com

good guy to deal with! If he doesn't have what you are looking for there he can point you in the right direction.

Randy

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by humdinger

Knife is made for cabelas by Buck. Basic vanguard with a black coated and a yellow cabelas logo.

Why remove the logo - its ugly and I don't care to advertise for company's by paying for their logo... kinda like when you see a kid wearing a under armor logo hat... no function to the fabric in the hat other than saying "I am willing to pay 3x for a product with no performance bennefits other than 3 square inches of stitching for vanity and to advertise for under armor".

I wear UnderArmor boxer/briefs, but at least you won't see the logo on the elastic waist band. laugh

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
TOOOOOO much info here.

Albert Einstein

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I too recommend VinceM http://www.vcmcustomknives.com/ and Dale/MtnMan1 http://www.howemtnknives.com/, they were a big help in getting me/us started with custom knives. As hard as she was to convince we needed sharp knives in the kitchen, the wife now will not be giving up her Mike Miller's or those by Varmintsinc anytime soon!!

That said, my EDC and used daily are Bucks. I went through their plant when they were still in Commie-fornia (tried to line up a date with young Ms. Buck and our son!) Recently had a my-fault service issue which they took care of no-charge. Have nothing but good things to say about them.

Have noticed Buck fixed knives pop up at very reasonable prices here, fleabay, and other forums - wonder why OP doesn't get one of those - no Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc. logo? Or just buy a knew Buck from Buck or Wal-Mart - no logos?

If things were as obvious as they initially appear . . . then men would be riding horseback sidesaddle . . . and not women. - Will Rogers
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by GunGeezer
I too recommend VinceM http://www.vcmcustomknives.com/ and Dale/MtnMan1 http://www.howemtnknives.com/, they were a big help in getting me/us started with custom knives. As hard as she was to convince we needed sharp knives in the kitchen, the wife now will not be giving up her Mike Miller's or those by Varmintsinc anytime soon!!

That said, my EDC and used daily are Bucks. I went through their plant when they were still in Commie-fornia (tried to line up a date with young Ms. Buck and our son!) Recently had a my-fault service issue which they took care of no-charge. Have nothing but good things to say about them.

Have noticed Buck fixed knives pop up at very reasonable prices here, fleabay, and other forums - wonder why OP doesn't get one of those - no Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc. logo? Or just buy a knew Buck from Buck or Wal-Mart - no logos?

Standard Vanguards are 420HC stee, or something like that. The attraction to the Cabela's version is the premium steel.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Proof for the doubters - the blade is coated and the logo was baked on powder so it only "stained" the coating a bit.

Look at the ghosting in the second image. I had to look at it damn hard to see if is still there... you can barely make it out.
In fact I didn't think I could see it at all until I tried to see it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by mtnman1
I don't have one, but I would suspect the logo was etched, in which case you won't take it off with solvent. If it is etched, a little light sanding starting with a fairly heavy grit paper working with strokes always in the same direction as the current scratch pattern will likely take it right off. Work down with progressively lighter grit paper working thru to about 2000 grit paper or until you are happy with the finish and it's consistent with the rest of the blade should get you there. As I said, it's all just speculation since I've never even seen the knife you're talking about. If the heat treat is done properly S30V is tough steel, hard to sharpen, but will hold an edge a long time. Think diamond stones and once you get it sharp, don't let it get dull.

Dale

Nope not etched - see pictures above.

I think I used a soft blade knife to scratch it off, that coating they have on the blade is pretty hard so all it left was a very, very light discoloration.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (204guy, 160user, 12344mag, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 163bc, 55 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,635
Posts18,455,246
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.