Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm looking for a back-packable tent heater. Coleman used to have one called the extremecat.
I know it's kinda whimpy and lady like to want a tent heater...but...
The allergy I have is much more tolerable if I can take a bit of the chill off first thing.

Need one that runs off the Propane/Isobutane/butane blended fuel types. Small, compact and light weight.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Any fossil fuel will DUMP moisture into your shelter. What is wrong with wood heat? Stoves have gotten mighty light these days. Also, have you checked out "wearable" bags, like the Feathered Friends Winter Wren? A bag like that makes getting up in the cold a lot more bearable.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I hear what you're sayin. The tent I use is a Alps mountaineering jagged peak 2 man. It really doesn't lend we'll to a wood stove.

With the vents in this tent I think the moisture build up would be minimal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't looked real closely but the blackcat from Coleman was the smallest I remember seeing. REI have anything for those metro type campers wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a floorless tent with a stove jack. I know they work damn good in NW Montana.

It's helps a lot with my allergies too. I'm allergic to living in a tent that sucks. Really, a wood stove in a tent is like having a hot tub, it takes away aches and pains that come with years of real life. I'm betting it would weigh less than your current setup as well.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cocadori:

I think you're SOL for backpack sized space heaters. I checked REI, Cabelas and Campmor. This is the best that I could find. It uses 16 oz. propane canisters. Not exactly what I would call backpack sized equipment.

[Linked Image]

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___81337

I own a small cheap single-burner propane space heater made by Texsport. You can get them at Amazon.com for $25-$30.

[Linked Image]

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&am...b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8zqrmss3qh_b

Isobutane would be the smallest and lightest way to go but I couldn't find any heaters that use Isobutane. You might consider a small butane lantern like this one.

[Linked Image]

http://www.rei.com/product/643063/snow-peak-giga-power-lantern

Or you could just use a candle lantern. Might take a long time to make a difference to the temp inside a tent though.

If all you're going to do is run it for a few minutes to heat up your tent before you get out of the sleeping bag, then why not just use a butane canister stove?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have two of the Kifaru wood stoves and absolutely love them. Does require wood though, and there are hunts, open country caribou for instance, where wood is scare or non-existant.

For a number of reasons I am leary of non-vented liquid fuel or gas stoves. Death from CO poisoning for instance, would be inconvenient. Being dead AND wet due to using a non-vented, liquid fuel stove would be really irritating.

It would be interesting to explore a hybrid option ... a vented liquid fuel or gas stove or a mod to use with a wood stove when the situation fits.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or... You could use one of these
[Linked Image]

I used that a lot before I bought one of these....
[Linked Image]

2 Lbs 7 Oz.

Put that in a BCS 2 or a Sawtooth and it would still weigh less than your current tent.

I'm Irish...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by OregonCoot

It would be interesting to explore a hybrid option ... a vented liquid fuel or gas stove or a mod to use with a wood stove when the situation fits.

BTDT, its called the Yukon Stove, Uses five gallon cans of gasoline. It sucks balls. Wood is a LOT smarter and safer.

Some of the AK crew have posted about the "Arctic Oven" tents they've used on winter fly in hunts, not for backpack use though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They have wood in SW Montana....

I've seen it.

I'm Irish...

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Wood is only smarter if you can obtain it.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Lotsa good feedback. I appreciate it.
Might have to rethink...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,853 guests, and 1,407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.