GB2

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Why only change the oil once a year? I suppose one might get by with a 12 month interval at the outside, but I would imagine most people hit the mileage interval well before that. I know some of the Hondas specify a 600 mile interval, some probably longer, but oil breaks down after it has been exposed to combustion by-products. I'd run cheaper oil before I stretched the change intervals that far. Certainly twice a year won't break the bank, and in severe climates, once a month has worked out very well for us (though I do cheat and follow the mileage spec on our Yam/Griz. At 800 miles per change, that means about 5-7 changes per year.)

If I need to change it more I certainly want to.
I just dont know how often to change it.I am certain I will be running the Machine about 50 miles a month for 10 and a half months and probably 10 miles a day for the deer season.
If I dont sink it and get water in it, riding 2 to 15 MPH or so during the off season with the toughest riding(most mud and water and stop and goes )during the deer season,how often would you suggest changing the oil ?The plug,the diff and gear oil?Air and oil filter?
Thanks
Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by blairvt
I use Rotella 15-40 for about everything. Never had a problem

I use a HD diesel oil as well. formulated way more robustly than gasoline rated oils. and Rotella comes in a 10w30 as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bcraig
....how often would you suggest changing the oil ?The plug,the diff and gear oil?Air and oil filter?
Thanks
Craig

I just don't feel comfortable keeping the same oil in these little engines more than about three or four months. When in doubt, I change it. In the cold months, especially when the engine may not get thoroughly warmed during short periods of use, I change the oil each month. Oil filters come out every time for replacement. I generally use EMCO, but I'll use a FRAM from time to time (since it comes with an O-ring for the cover which can sometimes leak if it gets sliced a bit when the cover is removed or replaced.)

I like to change the gear cases fluids every year, though Honda suggests 2 years for the interval. I check the air filter from time to time to see how much dirt is getting into the box; they say every 600 miles. I must admit that I rarely even turn a spark plug on these ATVs. I think I've changed the plug once - just because it seemed like something that should be done- on my 98 300 TRX; that machine must have at least 30,000 miles on it.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why only change the oil once a year? I suppose one might get by with a 12 month interval at the outside, but I would imagine most people hit the mileage interval well before that. I know some of the Hondas specify a 600 mile interval, some probably longer, but oil breaks down after it has been exposed to combustion by-products. I'd run cheaper oil before I stretched the change intervals that far. Certainly twice a year won't break the bank, and in severe climates, once a month has worked out very well for us (though I do cheat and follow the mileage spec on our Yam/Griz. At 800 miles per change, that means about 5-7 changes per year.)

I say that because I don't use mine year round, i'd be lucky to put 500 miles on in a year. I've had no issues with my motor/transmission/differentials other than swamping it in a high creek a few times. I always check the oil and diff levels before going on a ride and top off as required but usually my fluids are good to go. I know your situation and it is certainly much different than mine.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

In cases where a conventional oil is perfectly adequate, using something "better" is often equivalent to using stainless nails in the construction of a house. Are they better? Sure. Do they do anything better in ordinary, non-salt-soaked wood)? No. Do they cost more? Yes, a lot more.

Synthetic oil, especially in small quantities for an ATV do not cost "a lot more". You are literally talking about a couple bucks. It sure helps on mornings when its cold and that to me is worth a couple of dollars

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I just ended up getting the Honda Motorcycle oil 10w-30 and the gear oil from a Honda dealership.Only thing I forgot to get was the Air filter oil,Is there anything else I can use for this as it is over a 45 mile round trip back to dealership.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just go to any auto parts store and tell them you need some foam air filter oil.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks ,I appreciate the information.

Craig

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BWalker
Not to mention the shearing effect many atv engines have on oil...Oil is cheap insurance.

Never had an ATV, but have worked on a few for people....

have had several air cooled Motorcycles tho over the years...

must be left over from my old college days and keeping VWs on the road...

I know you can't run 'any old oil' in an application with a wet clutch, unless you want to have to replace it earlier than need be...

In the motorcycles I have owned, I only rode them in warm to hot weather, and I let them warm up a little, like I do any engine, before I take off in it...

so due to that and the shear factor, I ran plain old diesel rated 30 wt... If I had to run Multi Wt for any reason, then it would be a good name brand 15 W 40.... I am partial to Mobil brand oils tho...

I'd put 8 to 10,000 miles a year on a motorcycle, so I'd usually do two changes a year.... the second on July 15th which would be half of riding season over with...

My motorcycles were Hondas, and I checked it out and found out it worked, instead of the spendy small motorcycle filters, I found a Honda Car filter would spin right on there and was also was bigger, and cheaper and could be picked up at any auto parts store....so I just ran a high quality brand auto filter...

would spray paint the filter cannister flat black before installing it..., so I didn't get any crap from some of those motorcycle purists...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use Mobil 1 in my lawnmower, quad, truck, and 2 cars. Have for years and all run perfect and use no oil. I run the 5w-30 in all year round.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
mobil 1 in my 2008 650 brute force

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FYI:

Originally Posted by mobiloil.com

Using Mobil Synthetics in ATVs with Single Oil Supply for Transmission and Engine...
Question: I've been considering using your Mobil synthetic oil in a couple of ATVs I own; however, I'm concerned about what effect it may have on their transmissions since both the engine and the transmission u...
Answer: We would recommend Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 motorcycle oil since it has been designed specifically where transmission performance is important as well as engine lubrication.

I'm sure Mobil appreciates the customer loyalty to their Mobil 1 automotive product. However, even they don't recommend it as the most suitable for engine and clutch/transmission applications. One will never be mislead my looking for the ATV engine manufacturer's oil rating recommendation. (And some are okay with an automotive oil rating.)

Last edited by Klikitarik; 09/15/13.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
356 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,859
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.