Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
bcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
All big bores Must have Open Sights!>That is a Must!Enjoy.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Yes, those are Talley QD's and the front is an extension base.

I did skim bed the Medalist. Don't know if it needed it, just makes me feel better... smile

You got a good eye for this stuff... cool

DF

Thanks for the answer. Looks like it made up into a fine rifle!

As for my eye -- sometimes I pay attention! grin

Al

Spend your life wisely.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Is your bottom metal 06 length or standard mauser length?

Defend the Constitution
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Standard Mauser.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sorry DF, was asking Mossyrock. Nice snag on the FN.

I mostly let the bottom metal be my guide as well, but do chop without any consternation...of course, my smitty is no hack...:)

Better to be satisfied with the choice than enduring the cognitive dissonance involved with cartridge remorse later...and action-wise for me, there is no substitute for fine old mausers...

FWIW, my advice to the OP is to do the action purchase justice by taking enough time in making sure of your cartridge selection decision, rather than worry about doing a little smithing on a commercial mauser action.

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by tomk
Sorry DF, was asking Mossyrock. Nice snag on the FN.

I mostly let the bottom metal be my guide as well, but do chop without any consternation...of course, my smitty is no hack...:)

Better to be satisfied with the choice than enduring the cognitive dissonance involved with cartridge remorse later...and action-wise for me, there is no substitute for fine old mausers...

FWIW, my advice to the OP is to do the action purchase justice by taking enough time in making sure of your cartridge selection decision, rather than worry about doing a little smithing on a commercial mauser action.

I agree with that statement.

Those fine classics don't need to be messed with, IMHO.

Go with what they were designed for.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
grinning...yeah, in a couple hundred years the museums will be curious as to why have to go to Louisiana to get a unadulterated example and there are none around the Great Lakes...

I wonder if anyone has produced more 375 H&H on 98 mausers than FN? One thing is for sure, you don't see any used Mark X 375 H&H for 400 bucks anymore...had a couple Browning 98s 375s go thru my hands with knockout wood....kinda regret that a little now...

Defend the Constitution
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
We got some Cajuns and good food in Louisiana, too... laugh

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
must be why they decided to re-build New Orleans and start plowing Detroit under...

My wife is a French-Canukie Cajun derivative and it's been interesting...:)

Defend the Constitution
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by tomk
must be why they decided to re-build New Orleans and start plowing Detroit under...

My wife is a French-Canukie Cajun derivative and it's been interesting...:)

laugh

I wouldn't recommend a trip to Louisiana, or New Orleans, looking for "purists" of any kind... blush

After all, this is the home of Laissez les bons temps rouler.

That said, this is just my opinion and what I would go with. No telling what these Cajuns would do with a pristine, vintage Mauser action. If it won't go in a gumbo, they may not do anything with it. Lot more shotguns than rifles down on the bayou. More rifles and Rednecks in North LA.

DF

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
It is a former FN military Mauser that I bought as a bare action. I lucked into a Mark X bottom metal, so we are talking standard length all the way. Right now, with the exception of the bottom metal, safety and bent bolt (which I will likely replace with a longer Oberndorf style), the action is pretty rough. Once I get the Husqvarna 9.3X57 and the Model 70 Featherweight off of my bench, this will likely be my next project. If nothing else, I will do some clean up and polishing and will likely replace the military trigger. Or, if I get ambitious, I will convert it to a single pull trigger and try to get it below its current ten pound pull weight.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That Husky 9.3x57 should be a sweet project. Not quite the bite of the 9.3x62, but a nice round, nonetheless.

Look forward to photos.

DF

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Well, that Husky is kind of interesting. When I got it, the finish was very worn, but the bore was pristine. It wasn't drilled and tapped, so I elected to have an XS receiver sight installed instead. I also had it converted to cock-on-opening and had a model 70-style safety installed. I am just finishing up with the refinish. At some point in it's life, someone cut off the stock short. And I mean SHORT. I removed the pad that was on it, added two spacers and a 1" pad and brought it up to an even 13" LOP. Yeah...it was THAT short. Oddly enough, this rifle has a VERY nice stick of wood with very nice figure. Most of the checkering was gone when I got it, so I refinished the stock with a sanded-in finish. I SHOULD be able to put it together tonight. Maybe I will snap a few pics when I get it put together.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Is that you Tom???

Jim

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Below is a picture of a .375 H&H on a commercial FN Mauser in a Brown Precision stock and light, 22" Shilen. As pictured, it went about 7.75 pounds. Now it has a Leuopold 2.5x and goes about 7.5 pounds. It feeds slick and balances like a nice shotgun. Other than a proclivity for eating scopes, probably my most perfect rifle, and I don't mind that an old Higgins FN got cut to get to this result:

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
well yeah...:)

Defend the Constitution
H
hmo Offline
H
Originally Posted by z1r
Jeff, Here you go.

The most recent 9,3x62 I finished. Not my usual build but the Owner lives in Alaska and wanted an all weather rifle. Built on a 1930's Banner model 98 action. Synthetic stock & Cerakote finish. Note the custom bases that were required to fit the side saddle scope base holes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very good looking gun!

May I ask what exact colour this is?

Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (10Glocks, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,169 guests, and 1,465 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.