Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,186 of 1,842 1 2 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1841 1842
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Are sharpies tasty? I've never shot at one, much less eaten one. I was guessing there were sort of like a spruce chicken.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I'm cleaning rifles and organizing my stuff for speed goat camp in a couple weeks. woohoo!

grin...and ya have a nice new hunting knife to work with! grin grin

I do at that! there's a little hold up on the return one, but it's coming, I aint forgotten

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by BrentD
Are sharpies tasty? I've never shot at one, much less eaten one. I was guessing there were sort of like a spruce chicken.

I like them. It's dark breast meat but it's good (In my opinion).

The birds are generally larger than a ruffy, very fast, whistling wings.

The field expedient field dress practice of stepping on wings and pulling the legs doesn't work for sharpies. You need to clean them more like a chicken, it's a little more time consuming. Unlike the handy feather covered walking meat snacks we call ruffed grouse. They seem to be packaged in an easy access wrapper for our convenience.

I like sharp tail cubed and prepared as a home made chicken noodle soup or even in a chili or as meat for a stew.

I've wing shot my share of sharpies but I honestly like ground sniping them from a distance with a rimfire.

I'm a little bit more of a meat collector than I am a challenge seeker.

A little tip though, for the magnum rimfires I like a solid nose, sometimes even an FMJ (especially in a .17)

Poke a hole, the bird dies and eats just fine. Hollow points make for mechanically separated chickens.

If I want chicken pieces I like intentional clean cube cuts rather than a meat/dirt/feather/lead slurry.

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't shot or eaten sharptails, we have a bunch around here I just aint shot any. yet.

a lot of folks around here say they taste bad, but they are a game bird, so can't be too bad. I'm anxious to get out and get some this year.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
grin

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Spent a fun weekend up at a buddies place hunting....are you ready for this?.....sharptails in Minnesota.

Hey B-man, We have tons of sharpies but season typically doesn't open on them till a week after it opens on ruffed grouse.

I take that back.

I looked at the book this afternoon. this year they opened it all on the 14th.

Ruff, , spruce, sharp and huns all opened on the 14th this year.

They usually hold till the 3rd week in sept for sharpies.

Interesting, this just means that legally I could have and should have shot up that covey of sharpies I saw last Sunday... crazy

oh well.

grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
How do you get all that black ink out of them? LOL!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
whew, for a minute there, you had me worried! They arent as good as ruffed, that is for sure.

We cleaned them by just taking off the skin on the breast then pulling the bottom of the breast away from the innards until all you were left with was a breast and 2 wings in one hand and innards, back, head, etc in the other. all of ours were shot on the wing. I got into a nice little flurry and ended up with 4 on the ground. Took some good dog work to find them as my marks were a little lacking cuz I was busy shooting! fun for sure.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If any of you ever get the chance to get up to BC during the fall take a .22 along. I have never seen so many grouse, both roughs and sharpies in my life. They were all over the logging roads. It was nothing to see 25 at a time.

Locals pretty much ignore them, so they're dumb as heck.

One of the guys in our moose camp shot better than 30 of them.

He roasted a couple on a stick over the camp fire and we all got to sample them. Not bad at all.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
If any of you ever get the chance to get up to BC during the fall take a .22 along. I have never seen so many grouse, both roughs and sharpies in my life. They were all over the logging roads. It was nothing to see 25 at a time.

Locals pretty much ignore them, so they're dumb as heck.

One of the guys in our moose camp shot better than 30 of them.

He roasted a couple on a stick over the camp fire and we all got to sample them. Not bad at all.

Now my co-workers can hear my tummy rumbling......

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I went to thunder bay, OT as a kid. On one of the logging roads to old fort William, we mush have seen dozens in just a few miles.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We have a few sharpies in the UP. Even have a season on them. Never seen one in the wild, much less et one.

Got 64 kids through Hunters Safety class last week. Still don't have my voice back. Pretty cool though. All those little hunters will be out this weekend after deer for our Youth deer hunt now called our "Liberty Hunt". Includes youths under 16 and Vets with 100% disability.

Interesting factoid: State says the youngest person to buy a deer license last year was 18 months old.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hey Charlie,
Are you aware of the discounts you get from being a firearm safety teacher? Beretta, Tikka, Sako, Burris, Leupold, Savage, Marlin, Tritronics and many others. It is usually about 45% off retail. I have taken advantage of the Sako and Leupold ones and they are smoking good deals.

Shot 3 geese this morning on my birthday hunt! Have I ever told you guys I love fall?

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool. How do you do that BM? I have my card...just give them the #?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
IHEA.com. International Hunter Education Association IIRC. Last I checked it was like 55% off Luepy and Burris, 30% off Weatherby, Ruger, Beretta, Sako, Tikka. They have Columbia, Thermocell, real good deals on harnesses from Treestand Safety? Like 80% off.

Funny, some of the larger American companies like Rem and Browning won't or don't participate. Its a nice thing for those who volunteer their time, but that's obviously not why we do it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
yep, that is the place. I have the password if you need it (PM me).

Lots of companies there and I agree, that is not why I do it, but is a darn nice perk for putting in a lot of effort teaching those young'uns. The fact that they recognize us for our efforts also makes me brand loyal to those companies.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I actually like Ruger rifles, so that's good! I'll have to take a look tonight. I need to get a littly guy safety harness too. That may work out well! Thanks!!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I will PM you the login info.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Browning, Buck Knives and Primos are all there as well as many more.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I was in Wally World Sat afternoon after the class. Thought I'd get a sixer for after watching the game after cutting the grass. Lo and behold the two twin HS students I just had a hour earlier come around the corner! Hi Instructor Steve! As said instructor literally throws unknown parcel into potato chip display! whistle

There are eyes everywhere!

Page 1,186 of 1,842 1 2 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

570 members (1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,017
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.