Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Parden me I stepped on the dang hook while tosing the sinker.grin

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if taken care of properly it is some of the best wild game meat....if treated poorly it is some of the worst.....get the critter skinned and the meat in a cooler ASAP and it is outstanding....let the critter bounce around in the back of the pickup all day, especially on the typical warm day of speed goat hunting weather and sometimes dogs wont eat it crazy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rattler
if taken care of properly it is some of the best wild game meat....if treated poorly it is some of the worst..

That sums it up perfectly. Good antelope beats elk. Bad antelope makes a shoe taste good.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I agree and I'll add that you have to do a good job of shooting it as well. Shoot it in the leg and chase it all over the prairie trying to finish it, or shoot it in the guts and chase it all over and you'll end up with less than quality fair.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kawi

Looks like you hooked a shiner and an old carp.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've only managed to draw an antelope tag in Idaho once in my life. The one I got was pretty good eating. It tasted a lot like mule deer (I know some will say that's pretty bad).

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rattler
if taken care of properly it is some of the best wild game meat....if treated poorly it is some of the worst.....get the critter skinned and the meat in a cooler ASAP and it is outstanding....let the critter bounce around in the back of the pickup all day, especially on the typical warm day of speed goat hunting weather and sometimes dogs wont eat it crazy

100%

My first antelope was shot on a snowy day. Some other hunters spooked the herd. I shot my buck as they milled around trying to cross a fence. We gutted him and dragged him a mile back to the truck. The buck (other than for the photo shoot) rode in the truck for about 8 hrs before I skinned him. I could barely eat him, he was so gamey tasting. frown As a new hunter, it was so bad, it could have caused me to quit, because I didn't like the taste. All subsequent antelope have been skinned imediately after gutting, placed in cheesecloth and transported inside my canopied truck. Now I would rate antelope as the finest meat I have harvested and I have harvested sheep, WT, MD, elk and moose. My sister who doesn't like game meat, will eat antelope.

Treat an antelope right, and it is the best IMO.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Only killed two lope. One was delicious, one was gross. Both were bang flops and skinned right away and cooled down.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
It seems folks either love antelope meat, or despise it.. As mentioned elsewhere we make jerky out of all of our antelope.. I think my wife cooked some tenderloin for a game dinner for the relatives from out of state.. They enjoyed it.. When we had lots of antelope, I had a couple families that preferred it to other game.. Since there were lots of permits available, I would give them two or three each year.. Antelope makes the best jerky of any of the wild game.. We love it, so that is how it is used.. Mostly antelope I handle are skinned with in minutes of shooting probably at most 30 min to an hour before the jacket is off..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Antelope meat is some of the finest game fair to grace a dinner table, IMHO. Yet, as others have stressed, putting the animal down and treatment is the utmost requirement. I have taken many, many antelope and have yet to be disappointed in the flavor. I will not shoot at a running 'loper buck or doe. It is important to find that 'loper the is resting, feeding or merely milling around. Dress them right away and get the hide off without getting too much hair on the carcass. Get him/her into a cooler with ice. If no ice at least keep the meat out of sunlight as much as possible. Then get them to a meat processor as soon as possible. Venison is good, 'loper is better. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of the finest game meat available in the US, although I've not put any bighorn on my table yet.

1Minute
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had the meat from my mountain goat made into Thurenger(sp) sausage. Did not last long. Mountain goat is true goat. Antelope not really a goat. Antelope, Pronghorn, are a species unto themselves having a flavor unlike venison. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had a few made into jalapeno cheese sausage, good stuff, almost anything is good with cheese and jalapeno in it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Had antelope (roast/tenderloins) for the first time last night since my 12 yr old son and I tagged out last weekend. Wife & kids approved...so I'll be putting in for antelope rags again next year.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've only managed to draw an antelope tag in Idaho once in my life. The one I got was pretty good eating. It tasted a lot like mule deer (I know some will say that's pretty bad).

I really like antelope, and I've never had a bad mule deer buck either, even the great big ones. Obviously field care, cleaning, aging are the keys.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MTGunner
I had the meat from my mountain goat made into Thurenger(sp) sausage. Did not last long. Mountain goat is true goat. Antelope not really a goat. Antelope, Pronghorn, are a species unto themselves having a flavor unlike venison. MTG

Yep. And they're not even an antelope, either. I read that their closest living relative is the giraffe. The reason that they are so speedy is that there used to be an American Cheetah (although may not have been closely related to the African cheetahs).

Last edited by Sagebrusher; 09/25/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fixed the subject line for you! wink

Eric

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have shot a few (12), and they all sucked worse than eating the azz out of a menstrating skunk.
Shot, skinned, deboned, and on ice very quickly.
Had burger and summer sausage made out of the last 4. I use the burger to make jerky.
It's the best. Guys at work want me to sell them pounds of it. Nope, Im stingy.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kawi

Whee! I stepped on dang stone while tosing and strikink the great white snak. Just me.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My buddy And I got two apiece in SD a few years ago. The temps were in the high 80's so we got them cut up and on ice quickly. Aside from being a bit chewy, the flavor of all of them was very mild. IMO milder than whitetail.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 3,129 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.