Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hey Gents,
Looking for a rifle sling that won't slide off my shoulder while wearing a full-size internal frame pack; still-hunting in steep mountain terrain.
Last year I used a nylon one with a wide suede backing & it about drove me nuts. I even took some hardware & made a catch so it wouldn't slide off. It made it a better, but did not really resolve the problem. I like both my hands free when in brushy steep country.
I see where Butler Creek Mountain sling gets good recommendations as well as homemade paracord, & ching slings in the right config. What say you?

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Have you looked at the kifaru gun bearer? I went through the same thing and that was the solution I found. Fits almost any pack and holds the rifle with out your hands.

Very stable and not bad on the pocket book surprisingly....!! Plus I like it because if I slip and fall my rifle is protected.

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kifaru Gun Bearer or Gunslinger Corral are the two I would look at. I have the gunslinger and it works pretty well.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
check out sloganoutdoors slings.
it wont slide off and is easy on your shoulder.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
http://sloganoutdoors.com/

The best I've found by a long shot.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Unfortunately, on the Gunbearer, that's where my water bottles go. I was thinking of something more on the traditional lines. Even though the pack I wear is full size, it is only 10% full when I'm hunting and then of course would be fully loaded when packing out game. Thanks all for your recommendations. Any more?

Originally Posted by twintips16
Have you looked at the kifaru gun bearer? I went through the same thing and that was the solution I found. Fits almost any pack and holds the rifle with out your hands.

Very stable and not bad on the pocket book surprisingly....!! Plus I like it because if I slip and fall my rifle is protected.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Another vote for the Slogan. Great sling.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
bad link in my last post Please email, Text, or call me at 253-606-4643 for purchase information.

Made in the USA
SLINGSAVER

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I tried the gun bearer on my Kifaru pack. Nice product, it just didn't work for me.

The Slogan does work for me.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I use a Safari Sling. It's a little weird at first but with some packs you can get the sling looped over the top of your pack and take the weight. Rifle lays across your chest and frees you hands up for glassing.

R
R
+1! Once you get used to it, nothing else can work as well.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another vote for the Slogan. Best sling I've ever had.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For serious backpack hunting: make a sling from thin, lightweight 1" synthetic webbing, and coat the inside with rubber cement for about 12-14 inches to keep it from slipping off the shoulder.

I use steel quick-release attachments taken from a leather sling, and lightweight lexan slide locks from REI to loop onto the attachments pieces and adjust length.

For hunting closer to a road with a heavier rifle I have a big padded leather sling! laugh

Plan B: Put a stick in a top side pocket of the pack so that it sticks up an inch or two, and hang the rifle sling over that. I am right handed and like the stick on my left side with rifle slung forward. The rifle rides muzzle up along my left shoulder/side and I can grasp the grip, lift it off the stick and swing it forward easily. If your pack doesn't have a pocket in the right place it probably has other options to hold the stick in place. On older frame packs, the top of the frame worked. Make it a dry, lightweight stick and zip pocket or cinch straps to hold it in place.

Last edited by Okanagan; 08/31/13. Reason: Plan B
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I do use the gun bearer but I have been very happy with the Montana slings and the gun stays very stable with a pack on. I have found anything that has any kind of give usually bounces and slides out of position at some point.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Take some GE silicone and smear a 12" stretch where the sling meets you shoulder. Will work with any sling.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I like my slings a little bit wider and more flexible. The one I recommend most frequently is the Butler Creek Comfort Stretch, http://www.butlercreek.com/products/comfort_stretch_slings.html. They're not as pretty as the thinner leather strap type, but it is what I've come to prefer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I homebrewed a couple of slings for testing recently. Light, instantly adjustable, and able to be used as a SLING, not just a carry strap.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bloodworks
http://sloganoutdoors.com/

The best I've found by a long shot.

These slings look great. Is there a preference between the regular Ultraflex and the Long Magnum Ultraflex as a one sling do all occasions and longarms?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,392 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.