Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I like the thread about the 45, figured this was another good idea.

I'm thinking about the S&W 617, I want stainless but what is the best?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My $.02, S&W 17, though a case can be made for the model 18.

If someone says LCR I'm going to puke. grin

MAGA
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
.........If someone says LCR I'm going to puke. grin

lol

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In a revolver in really like my 617. In a semi auto it would be the S&W model 41for me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Model 17 Smith & Wesson. Hands down.

My personal Favorite... Ruger Single Six. Not the same quality, but tons of fun in an affordable package.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I like the thread about the 45, figured this was another good idea.

I'm thinking about the S&W 617, I want stainless but what is the best?
I think stainless makes any revolver better. I've never owned either a 17 or 617 so my advice is hearsay but when I think of the answer to your question, that's what immediately jumps to mind. There may be eras of the 17 that were better than when the 617's were made though. I'll let the experts sort that out, but if I were looking for the best revolver, the 617 is what I think of. If it had to be more packable, I'd go 63 in a heartbeat. I've owned at least one of those and it was great. Wish one of each was in the gunsafe right now.

If for some reason you wanted a single action, I'd get a Colt Scout-sized New Frontier with the extra Mag cylinder or a stainless Ruger Super Single Six. My wife has the Colt but I'd actually kinda lean towards the Ruger on this one.

Overall, 617.

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 09/26/13.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a used S&W model 17 with an 8 3/8th barrel and it the most enjoyable revolver I have ever fired, not as accurate as my Ruger .22/45 with the red dot, but that's my old eyes - not the gun.

Terry

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I dunno, maybe a S&W 63-3, SS, 4" round butt. Not a 22 revolver guy. My thing's 22 autos:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
In a revolver, I'd have to take a Freedom Arms. I've currently got a S&W 617 4" no dash, have had several K22's of various vintages (and not all is sunshine and roses with those revolvers; two of mine were finicky about ammunition, the other two spit lead. My 617 has neither failing), and have a S&W 317 3" no lock and a Ruger SP101 .22lr 4.2". All are fine revolvers. The Freedom Arms revolvers in 22lr I've handled are, however, on a whole other plane of precision and accuracy. If you want the "best," and in stainless, that'd be my pick. I don't own one. Yet. For what I paid trying out K22's I could have bought a Freedom Arms and been done with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hands down the LCR.......

Where's the puke? 617 4" may not be "the best" but it's pretty darn good.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The 617's are nice; I like mine because it balances almost exactly the same as my 4" 586 .357 Magnum. Heavy for a 22lr, but the weight helps with fast DA shooting.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
JJ..there are lots of "best"s...question I have for you is what is your primary use going to be?

If you are looking for a double action that is a match to the Mountain Gun then the 6 or 10 shot 4" 617 would be hard to beat. Finding one, especially a pre-IL, is very hard and going to be expensive. A blue Model 18 4" Combat Masterpiece is also a nicely balanced gun.

I'm in the process of some "downsizing" and in looking what I have for DA .22 revolvers the two that I am probably going to come down to is a stainless 4" Model 63 .22 LR that has an extra fitted .22 Magnum cylinder and a blue 70s vintage 4" Model 48 .22 Magnum that has a .22 Long Rifle cylinder fitted to it.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Model 17 K22 Masterpiece and a (M48 in 22 mag), one of each 8 3/8" Both first models

Model 63 4" first model

Model 41 with both barrels (early model)

I have these but would like a good 6" revolver to fill the gap!

Last edited by Gibby; 09/27/13.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
FA M97, without question.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Model 17 K22 Masterpiece

This. Slick as eel snot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Might not be the World's best, but the little Model 63 4 inch is dang hard to beat.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm quite fond of this one:

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I can't think of a better choice than my old S&W 6" K-22 that I've had since the early 60's. I carried it on a trapline for many years and it's never let me down.

early 60's ? ..THAT'S 50 YEARS.. shocked

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I jut recently found this 18-2 for $500 out the door. Dealer said it is from the early 60's but I haven't looked up the numbers. This is 6 at 20 yards hand held resting on a bag.
[Linked Image]

It might do better when I get use to it. This is the only 6 shot group of the session. I shot a lot more in some targets and just wore out the center with a few fliers thrown around.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always wished S&W had made a stainless match to the early M17's without the full underlug. I know some like it, but I could do without the extra weight.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I jut recently found this 18-2 for $500 out the door. Dealer said it is from the early 60's but I haven't looked up the numbers. This is 6 at 20 yards hand held resting on a bag.
[Linked Image]

It might do better when I get use to it. This is the only 6 shot group of the session. I shot a lot more in some targets and just wore out the center with a few fliers thrown around.

R.H.,
Let me know if you don't "get used to it". You stole that one! Nice.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Smiths are alright.

I like my LCR better.

Haven't tried one of the SP101's but if you like S/A's I don't think you can beat a Single Six.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Freedom Arms made, apparently, at least one M83 in .22LR. It was tested by the American Rifleman and they raved about the accuracy, some absurd groups like 1/4" or so at 25 yards - equal to Olympic Free pistols, or so they said. smile still a huge revo for .22, I think they were catering to silhouette shooters.

One of the full-lug 617's ought to be a more reasonable option. There is a pre-lock 6" model at the local Gander Mountain, but I really don't want to pay $950 for a .22, and I have a 5-screw K22, anyway. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, come to think of it, it might be real interesting to find a 5 screw S&W, and hand it to a master like Bowen and let them install a new barrel & line bored cylinder. It would be expensive, but probably worth it.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Actually, come to think of it, it might be real interesting to find a 5 screw S&W, and hand it to a master like Bowen and let them install a new barrel & line bored cylinder. It would be expensive, but probably worth it.

Now that'd be a neat pistol!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking at stainless firearms only -

A Smith 617 is, after all, a S&W Model 17 which is and always has been one of the finest .22 revolvers in the world. But the 617 suffers from that totally useless underlug which adds weight to a handgun that never needed it. If the weight doesn't bother you then the 617 is still top dog for a quality DA .22 revolver.

The S&W Model 63 in it's original 4" form or one of the earlier iterations, like the 5" model, is a great .22 revolver for packing. The current 3" model is still good but IMO not up there with the original. The only problem with the original is the red ramp sight is too wide for the rear notch, or the rear notch is too narrow, take your pick, but that's a small quibble. If'n I had my druthers I'd get the 5" model where they remedied that by putting a nice all black front sight on it to give it a very good sight picture, but those are pretty rare on the used market.

Have no experience with the new Ruger SP101 4" model but everything I've read shows it to be a typical Ruger. Tough, accurate enough, but not very refined in trigger pull.

The new Ruger Single Ten is a dedicated 22LR single action handgun so from what I understand they remedied the oversized bore of the convertible models which were sized for .224 .22 Magnum ammo, not the slightly smaller .22 LR. The longer 5 1/2" barrel gives it a nice sight radius so one should be able to do some decent precision shooting with it. Lipsey's also makes a 4 3/4" barrel stainless model. Other than that I don't know much about them.

Bearcats are neat but without an adjustable sight you are stuck with wherever it wants to hit which may or may not coincide where you want to hit.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

I'd have to go with the Freedom Arms M97, even though it's a bit heavy for my taste (5 1/2" bbl is 44 oz). It has a dual firing pin setup and I can't ever remember having a misfire with mine (and that is unusual with all the sub par .22 ammo around). I had a 617 and was not impressed. Have a new SP101 and also not impressed. Love the K22 and J frame 22s (including the aluminum frames), but probably not the "best". Probably the best value for what you are looking for would be a Stainless Ruger Single Six.

[Linked Image]

FWIW,

Paul

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by paul105

I'd have to go with the Freedom Arms M97, even though it's a bit heavy for my taste (5 1/2" bbl is 44 oz). It has a dual firing pin setup and I can't ever remember having a misfire with mine (and that is unusual with all the sub par .22 ammo around). I had a 617 and was not impressed. Have a new SP101 and also not impressed. Love the K22 and J frame 22s (including the aluminum frames), but probably not the "best". Probably the best value for what you are looking for would be a Stainless Ruger Single Six.

[Linked Image]

FWIW,

Paul

Now that is sweet!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Dunno if it's THE best but I would say a S&W 17-8 Performance Center Lew Horton Heritage Edition is up there. I choot d'crp outta mine grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by alukban; 09/27/13.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Paul,

That thing is bitchin'.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd say a pre-war K-22 Outdoorsman

(Not my guns or pictures though, too rich for my blood)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Jim,

Gotta agree with the odd choice of the underlug. Why? I think the 63 is a better choice for carry, but then only 6 shots.

Am I correct in assuming the 63 and the 617 differences are only the underlug and capacity?

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Not all 617's are 10-shots; my early 617 has a steel 6-shot cylinder. Later 617's have alloy, 10-shot cylinders. The 10-shot models have a distinctly different double action feel, which is why I wanted a 6-shot version as it is timed, and has the same action "feel" as my 6-shot L-frame .357's.

S&W likely went with the underlug so that the 617's and underlugged 17's would have the same balance as the L-frame .357's. They make for heavy 22's, but good "understudy" revolvers for the bigger bores.

Last edited by Oregon45; 09/27/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim,

Gotta agree with the odd choice of the underlug. Why? I think the 63 is a better choice for carry, but then only 6 shots.

Am I correct in assuming the 63 and the 617 differences are only the underlug and capacity?

63 is built on a J-frame. 617 is built on a K-frame.

63 pocket size. 617 medium size.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you really need more capacity in a J-frame 22lr, the 317 has either a nine or 10 shot cylinder. I can't recall which as I don't have my 317 3" pre-lock handy right now. They're light guns but built quite well. Tough to shoot DA, however, given the trigger is several times heavier than the revolver itself. Shot SA they're a joy.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
AB2506, thanks for that clarification, there are a plethora of models it makes my head spin!

The 6 shot would have a completely different feel in DA, after all the rotation of a 10 shot cylinder is pretty small.

My limited experience with DA .22 rimfires is that they need a rather stiff trigger to fire the rim based primers. Again maybe this is just my experience and not true in all cases. However it has been mine so far. For this reason I think the medium frame revolver might have a smoother trigger. This begs the question.

Which has a better trigger? J frame 63 or K frame 617?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
K-frame 617. The J-frame triggers are both stiffer, and proportionately heavier in relation to the weight of the gun itself so they feel less smooth and cause you to pull the gun one way or the other while firing DA.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I could certainly make a case for the Smith 18, but I'm limited to the Ruger LCR, SP101, Single Six, Smith 63, Smith 317, no particular order here.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The K frame definitely has the better trigger compared to the J frame. The levers are bigger with the bigger frame.

Also, I find that I have to really hook my thumb down on the J frame (or point it strsight up) because the tip of my trigger finger runs into it at full pull.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 18 (4" medium K-frame) would be a great choice, I sure like mine, but it's blued. Of course, it could always be cerakoted.

Just my totally subjective opinion, but a blued older Model 17 - 6" K frame (medium frame) with no underlug, is just about unbeatable for a combination of accuracy, great sights, good sight radius and great trigger pull in a revolver that, while heavy for a .22, won't drag your pants down. Then have it cerakoted for rust protection.

They are a used market proposition only and folks are proud of them, but there are enough out there in good mechanical shape but with bluing wear that it wouldn't break the bank to buy one and then have it refinished with a protective coating anyway.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
The best I have ever had are two K's made in the late 40's...

George, those are some beautiful Smiths... You have fine taste..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hell I bought a 1953 K-22 6" for the princely sum of $250 last week grin

Wonder if I got a good deal? grin

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Colt Officer's Model Match. Lacking that, then a 5-screw K-22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hands down Smith and Wesson 617 over anything Ruger and FYI I own and shoot both

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My opinion the best 22 revolver is the Smith 617 Pre Lock six shot

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would not turn up my nose at a Colt Diamondback in .22 LR or a S&W 17 or K-22.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calif. Hunter
I would not turn up my nose at a Colt Diamondback in .22 LR or a S&W 17 or K-22.

Yep. I have always wanted a 4" Colt Diamondback in .22 lr. Sweet little revolvers. But I'm damn sure not paying Gun ShowPrices! Those fellas think they are made out of pure Gold!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes my apology for excluding the diamond back ,I looked at one a few years ago 4" barrel as new in box 1500.00 and just recently saw one with 6" barrel at 1695.00',beautiful guns,just ALOT of money for a 22 that you'd feel guilty just banging around with.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Speak for yourself.....I'd bang it. And not feel guilty......

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The 18 (4" medium K-frame) would be a great choice, I sure like mine, but it's blued. Of course, it could always be cerakoted.

Just my totally subjective opinion, but a blued older Model 17 - 6" K frame (medium frame) with no underlug, is just about unbeatable for a combination of accuracy, great sights, good sight radius and great trigger pull in a revolver that, while heavy for a .22, won't drag your pants down. Then have it cerakoted for rust protection.

They are a used market proposition only and folks are proud of them, but there are enough out there in good mechanical shape but with bluing wear that it wouldn't break the bank to buy one and then have it refinished with a protective coating anyway.

Smith still makes the 6" 17.

Travis

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
63 with extra .22 Magnum cylinder...

[Linked Image]

Patridge front sight...

[Linked Image]

Plain Jane 63...

[Linked Image]

Stainless Charter Arms Pathfinder....

[Linked Image]

Diamondback with extra .22 Magnum cylinder...

[Linked Image]

Model 18 round butt...

[Linked Image]

Model 34 round butt that now wears a 6" Model 35 barrel...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/SMITH-WESSON/DSCF4336.jpg[/img]

Model 51 .22 Magnum...also has a .22 LR cylinder...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/SMITH-WESSON/DSCF4334.jpg[/img]

60s vintage Model 18...that is at the smiths now being fitted with a .22 Magnum cylinder...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/SMITH-WESSON/DSCF5844.jpg[/img]

70s vintage Model 48 with extra LR cylinder, 50s vintage hammer and grips with Combat wide trigger...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/SMITH-WESSON/ColtCC091611004.jpg[/img]

Just a few thoughts for you JJ...

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bob, I'd REALLY like the patridge sight on the top 63, if'n it had a gold bead stuck in it....

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It has a recess for a white dot and could easily be drilled for a gold bead....wish I knew who did the work...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One Of The Best:
- - - - - - - - - -

Colt Officer's Model Match, DA Revolver, 22 LR

Bought it in 1971 - NIB
Sold it in 2011 - - 97%

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Be very hard to beat a 63. Mine is an old pinned and recessed one that guy wanted 300 for. I said something along the lines of "ok i reckon i can give you that for it" to make him feel like he wasnt getting reamed. Beautiful little pistol that is so fun and cheap to shoot. Mine will never be for sale along with my old 686. All the rest of my pistols are replaceable.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The "best" from a pure shooting stand point would have to be the Smith K-22, 6 inch, I had back in the 60's. Hate to admit how many quail, doves, and squirrels I shot with it. Killed a hawk at 125 yds. once. Ground squirrels up to 50 yds. were in real danger. It would put all six into 1 1/2 inches, outside spread at 25 yds.
I couldn't leave it alone. Had a four inch barrel put on it. Big mistake.
On a four inch gun, I like a little extra weight from a full lug barrel.
My current .22 hunting pistol is a Ruger Single Six. Not because it shoots better, it doesn't shoot quite as well. I use it because it can fire the .22 Rimfire Magnum ammo. Makes a real difference on live targets. E

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Where the heck did you find a Diamondback with a magnum cylinder?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Speaking of Magnum cylinders.

I have only had a couple experiences with these switchable cylinder revolvers. I may have just had an off manufacture on the one I owned. But the other was not "great" either.

Because the barrel is a bit bigger the .22 rimfire bullets just did not seem as accurate as I would have liked. Neither one of the guns was a double action or even a S&W, so that may have been the problem.

I'll say this, those .22 magnums are lethal far and away beyond their diminutive capacity. I'm not sure what more a person would want for an inside the house self defense round. If the crazy high performance of those little bullets does not kill or debilitate an intruder, the muzzle blast will likely knock him unconscious anyway. Is there a sharper more painful report, and muzzle blast from any handgun made today?

I've killed some stuff with the .22 mag, some pretty big stuff. Things you would no way ever consider it to be effective on. I'm not suggesting that the .22 mag is a big game cartridge, however It will deliver a far more devastating lethal impact then what I would have ever imagined had I not done this and seen it with my own eyes............. plenty of times!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Again, "worlds best" would be the FA M97. Do you like your M83?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
"Worlds Best" as far as accuracy. While technically Not a revolver.

The Colt "Camp Perry"

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I vote for the Model 63 also. Affordable, handy, accurate,and the cylinder and latch operate in the correct directions.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

My personal Favorite... Ruger Single Six. Not the same quality, but tons of fun in an affordable package.

+1
The Single 6 is a winner. $ for $ the most fun gun you can get.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RJM
Model 18 round butt...

[Linked Image]

Bob, what's the story on this??

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
All of the Smith's are great. I like the SP 101's. My latest is the 8 shot model & it is built like a tank for a 22.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28
All of the Smith's are great. I like the SP 101's. My latest is the 8 shot model & it is built like a tank for a 22.

The more I use the 8 shot SP101 the more I like it.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not having ever shot the SP101 how does it compare to the S&W for trigger and accuracy.

I have seen great reviews for the sp101 but in most cases it's along the lines of "for a ruger"

It's not really comparable to say a S&W 617 by most folks accounts. If in fact it is I would certainly look at them. I've just been led to believe they are not in the same league.

Is the SP101 comparable in frame to the J or the K?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The trigger on mine is heavier and rougher than the 617's I've shot. Accuracy has been very good. It's a tweener on size, very solidly built but not oversized or to heavy in my opinion. It's heavy enough that it settles down on target but not so heavy that it's uncomfortable on the belt. The factory grips aren't the best but they can be replaced cheaply with very comfortable hogues. Very rugged build.

I don't consider it "the world's best .22 revolver" but I do consider it the best for all around use (target to sweaty carry on the farm). 8 rounds is nice, like the size, like the weight, like the finish Ruger uses on the stainless. Thinking it over, with a smoothed up trigger it might be in the running.....

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by whelennut

The gun is a friend of mines... I found him the extra .22 LR cylinder assembly and he was able to find a smith to rechamber it and fit it to the gun.

Bob

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by RJM
Model 18 round butt...

[Linked Image]

Bob, what's the story on this??

DMc

..simple...take a perfectly good Model 18 and add a belt sander....

[Linked Image]

No clue who did the "work" but the gun does fit everyones hands... Perfect gun for training ladies as it has a very smooth double action pull and the grips are small enough to be comfortable...

Bob

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Model 18-3
target Hammer
target Trigger
target stocks

my fav

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by whelennut

The gun is a friend of mines... I found him the extra .22 LR cylinder assembly and he was able to find a smith to rechamber it and fit it to the gun.

Bob

I thought my Diamondback was awesome until I saw this one!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have to go with the Freedom Arms...but 2nd best by far....Ruger Single Six...I have had them for 40 years or so...different barrel lengths...old and New Models....built like Ruger builds everything....Tank like....

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
May not qualify as best gun,
But best value might be the charter arms pathfinder 4" barrel with both 22mag and 22 LR cylinders

Never saw one, made 100% in USA and only 500 bucks with both cylinders.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
But best value might be the charter arms pathfinder 4" barrel with both 22mag and 22 LR cylinders

....have never shot one but have handled them at the SHOT Show...very underwhelming.

Bob

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

JJ,

Do yourself a favor and avoid the pathfinder. I had one for the same reasons you state, sent it back to the factory for repairs and it came back with the same problem. In my opinion, they are inexpensive for a reason.

I sold mine at a deep discount with full disclosure and was glad to be done with it.

FWIW,

Paul

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Does anyone like the Dan Wesson .22s? Out of production, but still around used.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a Dan Wesson 22, great revolver. Close to a K or L frame. Also had a Colt Trooper in 22LR. My favorites are a H&R 999, and a S&W 617. To me the S&W's are the best 22LR Revolver.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Colt OMM, Smith 17 and 48.

A Single Six for the SA lovers.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Smith and Colt all the way !!!

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Does anyone like the Dan Wesson .22s? Out of production, but still around used.

I have one with 4 and 6" barrel assemblies...shoots very well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

500 bucks? You can get a Ruger Single Six convertible for less.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My S&W 617 has seen many, many thousands of rounds down the 6" tube, most in competition at a winter league in Logan, Utah, it has done very well against the semi autos. My best time for 9 shots, 3 each on 3 different targets is 2.99 seconds. You start out holding your gun on a red dot on the wall. All were A zone hits. A 4" gun would be a better packing gun.
Pheasants hate my 617! Took 3 with a 14" T/C contender in 410, also took 2 with 2 shots using my 617. The red dot is a Leupold/Gilmore.

[Linked Image]

Dick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm getting in on this thread way late. For what you're looking for, the 617 is the best stainless .22 revolver there is period.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This is the best I can do, and of course I think the best there is...
[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My 617 is the first K22 I've had that hasn't been ammo-sensitive; in that respect, I like it more than the '48 K22, the '66 M18 and '73 M17 I had. Nice revolvers, but they were a bit picky and if I'm going to deal with a picky 22lr revolver it's going to have "Freedom Arms" etched on the barrel grin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
S&W 17. Sold one a while back that was made in 1951, regretting it ever since. Ruger Single Six's are great guns, carry a 6" that has taken all kinds of grouse when out deer hunting. Great revolver for the money, IMO.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My favorite is the old S&W 63 I used to have. It would group minute of squirrel's head with Remington sub-sonics though it is very hard to choose between it and the model 17.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have had three single six revolvers

Only one shot great, the other two were okay for kids and cans but they were I long shot worse then my patience.

One had both cylinders, the 22 mag was pretty good, but the LR was just horribly bad.

I looked at that ruger SP101 today. I'll tell you, that is a very well made little gun. I'm not sure if I trust it to be accurate, but it's made with visibly great quality.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Original flat top single six before they changed the bore for magnums. reflex264

Last edited by reflex264; 10/09/13.

[Linked Image]

.264 barrel current number of shots:2122
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well I think the SP101 ends up being the best combination of weight size quality and capacity.

I really like the 63 but it's small and light with a stiff trigger
The 617 is brilliant in every way but size is kinda on the big side

The SP101 is like blending the 63 and 617 together.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They are built like a tank, and the trigger with work and money can be fixed. Accuracy will be what ever it is. It is after all a Ruger. Worlds best?? Not even close for myself.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I guess the FA probably owns this title

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not saying that a SP101 can't be a good one, just that the odds of it being better than several others is not as good. For myself I could never shot a SAA style very well, S&W, Dan Wesson, and the Colt Diamondback are different animals.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Well I think the SP101 ends up being the best combination of weight size quality and capacity.

I really like the 63 but it's small and light with a stiff trigger
The 617 is brilliant in every way but size is kinda on the big side

The SP101 is like blending the 63 and 617 together.

This is why I went with the SP101. I don't think it's the "best in the world", but do believe it best fits what I'll use it for...if I had the "best in the world" I probably wouldn't do anything but shoot targets with it (or sell it shocked ).

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Gibby
Model 17 K22 Masterpiece and a (M48 in 22 mag), one of each 8 3/8" Both first models

Model 63 4" first model

Model 41 with both barrels (early model)

I have these but would like a good 6" revolver to fill the gap!

Bought a 95% Model 48 no dash 6" with box and all contents yesterday. It belonged to the father of a friend of my son. I might not keep it. If the son wants to buy it back, I will sell it back to him. The son is not thinking straight right now.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
S&W Model 53 .22 Jet with the extra cylinder

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by pacecars

Yep, add the right inserts, you could have it all:

.22 short, long, Long Rifle and .22 Mag., WRF.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The older 50s to 80s K22s are head and shoulders above all competition.

Get one while you still can find one for a decent price.

!!!!!!!

Troll Slayer--Last Best Hope and Lord and Savior of the unwashed masses.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by pacecars

Yep, add the right inserts, you could have it all:

.22 short, long, Long Rifle and .22 Mag., WRF.

Yep and it is C&R to boot and they never depreciate!

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by GutshotBuck
The older 50s to 80s K22s are head and shoulders above all competition.

Get one while you still can find one for a decent price.

!!!!!!!

Very true. You can close your eyes and work the action and just feel the quality. They were masterpieces. This is a KTM circa 1961

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 1951 made K-22. It purely rocks!! Accurate as a laser beam. Fired my first rounds at age 4 out of my Dad's K-22 and this one popped up and I just HAD to have it. My Brother has Dad's gun.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sure would like to handle and shoot the best 22.

In the meantime I have no complaints with these Smiths...

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just for the shear pleasure of plinking and growing up in the 50's w/ all those cowboys, a Colt Peacemaker is hard to beat.
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I ended up with RJM's 34/35 last year smile

It may not be "the best" by any objective measure but all I know is that it hits a 4" plate at 25y in DA standing like you were throwing magnets at a refrigerator.

There is something about the sight radius of a 6" barrel on a TINY steel I-frame - ridiculously handy but practical field accuracy aplenty!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by alukban; 02/28/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Colt New Frontier .22lr with the 7.5" barrel with beautiful case hardening that was out-shooting any other .22lr. hand gun I had including a bull barreled Single shot Thompson contender with an adjusted super light trigger pull. It outshot S&W Model 41, Ruger Target Competition bull barrel shooters, and many other target autos.

Foolishly I traded it in for something in a bigger caliber....big mistake. I've looked and looked for a replacement and the only ones so far had been used and abused and start at $800 and on up.

I ended up getting a Ruger New Model Single Six stainless in 6.5" barrel that shoots within a whisper of the Colt. Shoots almost as good as the Colt but doesn't look and feel like the Colt. I resigned myself to the Ruger and am semi happy with the best to date substitute for the Colt.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don't think you can beat a K22 in any version. This one hasn't been fired yet.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Colts are OK, if you can find one that isn't too expensive, or trashed.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 03/01/15.
RGK #9647048 03/01/15
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When choosing a .22 LR handgun consider an autoloader instead for these reasons.

The autoloading pistol is easier to shoot and carry well and easier to aim well.

A autoloader can be carried in the field in my back pocket butt down, shirt out and be concealed and comfortable to carry. I carry mine chamber empty.

The autoloading 22 can be aimed with your other hand reaching under it's barrel to steady it. We can't do this with revolvers!

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I feel like a pariah because my choice would be a Bearcat.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by RGK
I don't think you can beat a K22 in any version. This one hasn't been fired yet.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Those things were meant to be shot! Choot it! grin

[Linked Image]

Mine just LUVS CCI Blazer...

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Either my 6" K-22 masterpiece or my 6" Colt Diamondback.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Savage_99
When choosing a .22 LR handgun consider an autoloader instead for these reasons.

The autoloading pistol is easier to shoot and carry well and easier to aim well.

A autoloader can be carried in the field in my back pocket butt down, shirt out and be concealed and comfortable to carry. I carry mine chamber empty.

The autoloading 22 can be aimed with your other hand reaching under it's barrel to steady it. We can't do this with revolvers!

[Linked Image]

This is some of the dumbest schit i've ever read, even from Dumb Don, and THAT's saying something.

I suggest Don carry that 22 auto with the muzzle taped in his ear with a round in the chamber and and a stick wedged in the trigger guard

Ps. Someone quote me so he can see it

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

JJHACK #9649734 03/02/15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is truly stupid. Even if what the idiot does what he says with an autoloader, the same could be done with a revolver.

DumbassDon has taken his stupidity to new "heights". Unbelievable.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

[Linked Image]

I am at a loss. What do I do? I have over a dozen .22 Autoloaders. I need a drink to ponder this dilemma.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sometimes ya gotta hit the slow pitch out of the park...

A autoloader can be carried in the field in my back pocket butt down, shirt out and be concealed and...can't do this with revolvers!...

[Linked Image]

JJHACK #9650574 03/02/15
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

[Linked Image]

I was going to PM you in private and tell you what a dumb ass you were for posting this, but for some reason you have me on ignore. I made 137 posts since 1/10/15 I must have hurt your feelings along the way apparently. So I will just post here you are a dumb ass.

I like liberals-------------------------------------they make good bear bait! grin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

<sigh>

first, the revo can be carried with different types of ammo. Say snake shot in the first chamber, and high velocity hollow points in the rest. The auto frequently won't function correctly with the snake shot, or with subsonic loads. The revo won't care.

The revo does not litter the landscape with empties when you shoot it, which can be an issue sometimes.

I don't know of any instructor who suggests a grip as you suggest. If you want a rest under the barrel, use a fence post, a mono pod, or something similar.

And I do have three .22 autos. Neither the Browning Medalist, nor the High Standard victor are especially easy to carry. The little Ruger .22 SRP is the one exception, but it's a casual plinker, not a target gun.

JJHACK #9651097 03/02/15
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Worlds best 22 revolver?

Korth. And you're in luck - there's one on gunbroker right now for the tidy sum of about 10k.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=470223572

JJHACK #9652698 03/03/15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Korth exists to demonstrate to everyone that fools really are born every day.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by alukban
I ended up with RJM's 34/35 last year smile

It may not be "the best" by any objective measure but all I know is that it hits a 4" plate at 25y in DA standing like you were throwing magnets at a refrigerator.

There is something about the sight radius of a 6" barrel on a TINY steel I-frame - ridiculously handy but practical field accuracy aplenty!

[Linked Image]

...yea it was lust at first trigger pull wasn't it.... laugh

I figured if I didn't sell it to you I simply would have disappeared...and you would have ended up with it anyway.

The S&W Model 53 .22 Jet is a one hell of a machine... But the round from a 6" revolver isn't all it's cracked up to be. Factory Jet ammo is hard to find and expensive when you do. Also the only loads now available are loaded with the Hornady .222 Jet bullets that are not as accurate as the original Remington 40 grain soft points. Velocity is only in the 1700 fps range and that is only a little faster than a .22 Magnum from a 6" barrel.

Put about 1000 rounds of Jet through mine and ended up having to find a new barrel. The forcing cone looked like a funnel and there was a loose spot in the barrel about 1" in front of the forcing cone. Jets are not only hard on the barrel but one round without hearing protection can cause permanent tinnitus...the frequency of the blast has to be experienced to be appreciated.

It is too bad Smith never made a 6" 651 .22 Magnum with an extra Long Rifle cylinder..that would have been a nice "Outdoorsman's Gun"...

Bob

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Korth exists to demonstrate to everyone that fools really are born every day.

I bought a Korth about 18 years ago for $1000.00. It is now worth close to $10,000.00. I wish I had been foolish more often.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a 6", 6 shot, 617 and it never leaves home, too damned heavy.

For me, the 4" S&W 48 would be the best choice if blued CM would work. If stainless is required, the unloved and under-appreciated Rossi 515 would get my nod. I have 4 Rossi 515s scattered around the Country; 1 each in CO, NE, NH, and SD. They are, pretty much, a metric clone of the S&W DAs, but an odd frame size, falling in between the J and K frame S&Ws.

I picked a .22 Magnum revolver so that I would have the advantage of the extra power and stronger bullet construction of the .22 Magnum, while using two sets of MCACE chamber inserts to shoot .22 LRs for plinking and casual paper punching. Most folks wouldn't be caught dead shooting a Rossi, but the Rossi stainless revolvers that I have in .22 LR (518), .22 Magnum (515), and .44 Special (720) have all treated me well and since they are reasonably cheap, and stainless, they get carried and knocked about quite a bit more often than my nicer S&W revolvers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Wow. I can think of plenty of reasons to use a .22 autoloader - but none of the above would be on that list.

Gents - I have had the pleasure of witnessing a grand total of one person shooting a handgun as described by this poster. Don't know where he learned it, but it wasn't doing him any good. I would have attempted to help him out, but he's one of those guys.....

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

JJHACK #9654987 03/04/15
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am rather partial to my M63 that I bought in 1978. My second handgun.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
EdM #9655524 03/04/15
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by EdM
I am rather partial to my M63 that I bought in 1978. My second handgun.

[Linked Image]

I like mine too. One of the most useful guns east of the Mississippi.

I like your grips. Where?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,848
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.