Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have wanted one of these awesome rifles since I was a teenager in the 70's, had a couple of them but had to re sell them soon after due to financial crisis of one sort or another. I finally have one - a long tang Deluxe no less - that is in wonderful conditions, shoots nice tight (2 icnes at 100 yards, tight by my standards for peep sights) groups and I am in a position to KEEP it and hunt with it.

I bought it for hunting Elk or large bodied whitetail deer in the timber as well as Coastal Black bear which can get pretty big. Roosevelt Elk in addition to the other game. I have on hand three possible loadings to use, seeking intel from persons who have actually used the 348 on big game and their impressions. My load number 1 is 4 boxes of late manufacture 200gr Silvertip ammo. I am thinking this to be a pretty good deer load, but a deer load only. Moving up the scale a bit, I own a good supply of Barnes Original style bullets with the pure copper .032 jacket and pure lead core flat nosed cannelured bullets for this cartridge in both 220gr and 250gr flavors. My gut feeling is to load and use primarily the 250gr Barnes Originals for anything that is not a deer. BUT, maybe I am selling those 220's a bit short? What say ya'll?

Thanks in advance,

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
BP-B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
yes I have. I have only owned my 71 Carbine a little over a year now, but I did take a 265 lb live weight Missouri Buck last year with it. 200 gr Hornady flatpoints over a stiff charge of IMR 4350 did the trick nicely.

[Linked Image]

I would not hesitate to use this same combo on elk or moose, but I think there are also some better options. I really need to get my hands on some Swift Aframe's. I bet those would just be devastating on elk and moose.

I plan on carrying this rifle again this year as it suits my style of hunting very well and I can't think of a better woods gun.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice buck, nice rifle, and PERFECT shot placement! I want to hunt whitetails in some hardwoods forests someday after I get a Kidney Transplant and have some energy to do so. Looks like loads of fun, and way different from my CRP grasslands mule deer hunting where my 348 is badly out of place and outclassed.

Thanks for the report and photo! Keep em coming.....

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I'm telling you what Safariman I absolutly love the M71 for woods hunting. I have always been a M70 guy ( and still am), but I also have a thing for stillhunting and tracking. IMO there is no better rifle than a m71 for that job. The stock design is spot on, and the 348 puts em down.

That buck in my post showed no sign of being hit other than kicking like a bronco, and the blood trail and chunks of innards were amazing. It's a keeper for sure.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've only shot one deer, a medium sized doe, with a .348, using the 200 gr. Hornady FP. That was about 25 years ago (wish I still had that rifle) and I have a very clear memory of the experience. At the shot the deer instantly went down and all four legs kicked up in the air, once.

That deer never knew what hit it and it remains the most impressive deer kill I ever made. It was a behind the shoulder, heart/lung area broadside shot. The bullet "overpenetrated".

I would not hesitate to use that bullet on an elk or moose within the .348's range limitations.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 09/29/13.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad just shot a huge Elk this AM with his. He called to tell me, talk about excited. I will post pics if and when I can. He was using the 250 original barnes and a Skinner peep sight, if I recall. He turns 69 in a few days, so it is a very fitting Birthday present! The biggest bull of his life.

Shortside

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've not used silvertips in that cartridge but I find they fragment like crazy in .30 cals. But a good solid bullet (not necessarily a "premium") would be fine on elk and moose in my opinion.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thusly, I am shooting up all of my 200gr Silvertip ammo - as quickly as my tender shoulder will allow - and re loading the cases with 250gr Barnes Originals for large game and 220gr Barnes Originals for deer sized animals. Since so few of you have actually used this cartridge and especially the Barnes Original bullets in this caliber I guess I will have to take it upon myself to go slay some stuff and report back here. Sigh..... SOMEBODY has to do the heavy lifting.... <G>

S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have shot several whitetails with the hornady 200 rn and several with the hawk 270 fp. I now only use the hawk 270 gr FP, it just hammers them. The 71 348 win is one of my all time favorite's.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, many whitetails myself and three other guys in our Northern Wisconsin deer camp used the M71 as well. It was the go to rifle in our camp. Everybody used basic 200 grain silvertips but occasionally used the old 200 grain remington loads as well! That combo probably took 80 or more deer (we go way back to 1936!). Never a problem. One guy used his for elk and moose as well and never had an issue.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
saj,

NICE buck and VERY nice rifle there! Thank you for sharing/posting!

I hope it is me in a similar pic really soon. My deer hunting area is not a good one for such a rifle, but there is other game in our woods that could use some big and fast lever power.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Milwroad
Yes, many whitetails myself and three other guys in our Northern Wisconsin deer camp used the M71 as well. It was the go to rifle in our camp. Everybody used basic 200 grain silvertips but occasionally used the old 200 grain remington loads as well! That combo probably took 80 or more deer (we go way back to 1936!). Never a problem. One guy used his for elk and moose as well and never had an issue.

Thanks for relaying this, Milwroad! Yeah, I would imagine those 200gr pills would really hammer a whitetail. Someday I want to hunt the North big woods with my model 71 and all of my Filson and LL Bean hunting wear. Red and Black Plaid clothing, shoes made from rubber and leather, of course.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now you got it! Nothing better than fresh snow, red hunter plaid, swampers on your feet, Coleman lanterns for light, straw ticks for mattresses, an old wood stove, a drafty outhouse, a good card game at night for entertainment, venison tenderloin and eggs for breakfast, a sagging old buck pole, and a well worn Model 71.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now you got it! Nothing better than fresh snow, red hunter plaid, swampers on your feet, Coleman lanterns for light, straw ticks for mattresses, an old wood stove, a drafty outhouse, a good card game at night for entertainment, venison tenderloin and eggs for breakfast, a sagging old buck pole, and a well worn Model 71.

That was better poetry than most of what I had to read in college.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

That was better poetry than most of what I had to read in college.

Yep, but it is making my elk hunting itch all the harder and scratchier!

I am going to go shoot up another box of 200gr Silvertips today so that I can handload up some more Barnes topped ammunition.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Shot my first deer using a model 71, and the 250gr silvertips, in the 348W. Too much bullet, but killed the deer. We were actually hunting Elk, but never saw any (due to the outfitter not taking us to the right place, real pos person). I keep seeing the 71s at gun auctions and might, one day, buy one (I had borrowed the one for the Elk hunt, this was in 1959). I do think, considering the composition of the OLD style 200gr bullets, if using older factory ammo, especially with the silvertips, would go to a heavier bullet, as believe the 200s would tend to expand too much on Elk etc. Used the silvertips in my 45/70, and they tended to just flatten out. None of them penetrated anything.

Last edited by tisha; 10/03/13.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Anyone load the Hornady Leverelolution 200 grain 348 offered by Midway. If so what results? Also need a new compass for my 71 as the one in my stock is broke. grin GW

After I posted this I found Yalie's thread on the Hornady bullet. PS still need a working compass. grin GW

Last edited by oldtimer303; 10/05/13.

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I whacked my first elk with a model 71 Deluxe using my cast loads. DRT.

At one with the gun.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I located and bought 50 brand new 348WCF cases at a gun show yesterday and was so excited about my find that I styed up way past midnight (had to go visit in laws after the gun show till about 11PM) loading them all up. All of my 250gr Barnes Originals are now stuffed into fresh cases backed by 61 grs (book max) of H4831SC powder for about 2350fps and ther few remaining cases were topped with Barnes 220gr Originals ahead of 63 grs of that same powder, also book max. Should be running at about 2450 with that charge from my 24 inch bbl'ed full sized rifle. I am loving this thread, truly appreciate all of the stories and pictures, and now I am itching like crazy to go use my big boomer on some sort of live critter. I sure wish our Elk hunting here was not so poor, and that I felt better (I have late stage Polycystic Kidney Disease, makes me pretty sick much of the time) but I have to admit that having this rifle, loading the ammo and all is a wonderful elixir.

F
F
I've shot over 25 whitetails in Missouri over the years with a 71 Deluxe. Always used the standard 200 grain Sivertips and it always dumped them over in one shot if I did my job. I absolutely love it.
It's got the original sling which makes carrying it much easier. Even thought its about a 9# rifle, the balance is wonderful and I never tired of carrying it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
448 members (1Longbow, 300jimmy, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,214 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.