Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Several of us 'bama boy's have decided that we'd love to host a Public Land deer hunt get together.

As the thread progresses, I'll continue to update the OP so information is easily accessible.

Here is what we're starting with.

Date: TBD**

Alabama Deer Season is from October 15th - January 31st. The Bankhead National Forest is huge and there are lots of areas to hunt. Not all of it is WMA land but if we decide that we want to hunt the Black Warrior WMA in Bankhead then we are limited in the dates that we can do so. Below is the information covering the WMA. If we do not decide to hunt the WMA, then any date within the entire season is up for grabs!

*Black Warrior Wildlife Management Area (Lawrence and Winston Counties)
PERMITS: Permits for Gun Deer Hunts will be issued from the Black Warrior Headquarters Checking Station, 200 yards off of Hwy. 33 on the Northwest Road (Forest Service Rd. 208), on the dates of the hunts and from 3:00 to 5:00 PM the
day before the hunt. Permits for the Youth Turkey Hunt will be issued from the checking station on the day of the hunt; Check Station will be open by 5:00 AM. Season map/permits for Small Game, Archery Deer, Primitive Weapons Deer, the
Either-Sex Gun Deer Hunt on Zone A, the Special Feral Swine Hunts, and Spring Turkey Season may be obtained from Western Auto, Moulton; Dependable Service Center, Russellville; Wren Grocery, Intersection of Hwy. 33 and 36, three
miles south of Moulton; J.D.�s Quick Stop, Hwy. 24, Mt. Hope; Wal-Mart locations at Hwy. 195 East, Haleyville and at the intersection of Hwy. 24 and 157, Moulton; the Winston County Coop, Hwy. 195 east, Haleyville; Lawrence and Winston
County Courthouses; U.S. Forest Service Office, Hwy. 33 North, Double Springs; or by printing from the internet at www.outdooralabama.com/hunting/wildlife-areas/wmamaps/ (both front and back pages of the internet map/permit must be
together to be valid): or from the self-service issuing station located at the Management Area Headquarters. All deer, turkey and feral swine harvested by any means shall be reported and/or logged at the checking station located on the Northwest Road (FS Rd. 208) prior to leaving the WMA. Trapping Permits must be obtained from the area biologist: Matt Brock, 21453 Harris Station Road, Tanner, AL 35671

Zone A:

DEER: Gun Stalk Hunting Hunter�s Choice (except spotted fawns � two deer per day, one unantlered deer and one
antlered buck): ** Nov. 27-30; Dec. 11-14; and Dec. 26-31

Zone B: DEER: Gun, Stalk Hunting Hunter�s Choice (except spotted fawns � two deer per day, one unantlered deer and one antlered buck) with buck antler restrictions: minimum 4 points at least 1 inch long on one side: ** Nov. 23; Dec. 5-7;
Dec. 20-21.

For anybody considering joining us from out of state, here is a link for licensing and fees.
http://www.outdooralabama.com/licenses/ALLicenses/NonResRec.cfm

$128 for a 3 day
$181 for a 10 day

Of course, there are a lot of hunters out and about on opening weekend, but the National Forest is large enough to accommodate everyone and I've not seen it over crowded in the past.

There are a few campgrounds that we can use. The two main hunting camps are McDougle (which has water and a toilet vault) and the Wolf Pen which is for tents and hammocks only. Other campsites do have hook ups for RV's (like Brushy Lake Recreational Area) but the space is limited with only 13 sites. So staking a claim early is paramount.

Brushy Lake Recreation Area
Area Status: Open This area is Open

Brushy Lake Recreation Area offers everything from camping, picnicking, boating, and fishing to sanitary facilities including a bathhouse.A 33-acre lake, Brushy Lake has 13 campsites that accommodate very small recreational vehicles and tents. Campers occupy sites on a first come, first serve basis.
At a Glance
Fees $5 per night - camping$3 per vehicle - day use
Open Season: All year
Usage: Light
Water: Drinking Water
Restroom: Vault
Operated By: Forest Service

So, there are some things we have to decide and in short notice. As decisions are made, I'll update this post so that the information is immediately available.

Hope to see you there!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
HAJ,

I mentioned in the other thread that I'd like to try this one. Definitely interested in the possibility of a hunt around the second week of December or January.

I'll keep an eye open to see what kind of time frame is decided on, and we'll go from there.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sounds great bud! I hope we can set this up so that you can make it.

For that matter, I hope we can set this up so that I can make it!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sign me up!

Over in bombingham currently

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I may have to try and make this! If we can figure out some dates I will see what I can do about vacation time.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Will keep a watch on this for when date decisions are made. Thanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Count me in. If I miss another season, I will have to check into Betty Ford clinic

"The liberals preach tolerance and diversity until presented with an opinion other than their own."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in. I don't know how it is at Bankhead but the National Forrest I hunt is much less crowded on non WMA hunt weekends . Our National Forrest's have WMA lands sprinkled within them that are only open to gun hunters on certain weekends like the ones HAJ bold faced.

I'm good for anything and really excited about this, with enough notice I can make just about any date work.

Thanks for putting this up there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would love to join you guys as well. I used to spend a lot of time in the BHF years ago and have seen some nice deer. If memory serves, the rut is really early there compared to the rest of state. Might want to keep that in mind when planning the hunt date. Regardless, it would be nice to meet up with you all.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Glad to see some interest in this! It would be great to see some familiar faces and meet new ones.

CrimsonTide mentioned the second week of December which would coincide with an open WMA availability.

Bankhead is about 50% WMA and only 50% of the entire WMA is open at any given time. So, that means if you are interested in hunting the WMA, it'll be open and available, and if you aren't interested in hunting the WMA, you still have half the forest that you can hide away in. 444Matt is correct in that when the WMA opens, the woods become considerably more busy. But most of those guys are hunting the actual WMA.

I'll try to find a digital copy of a map so that you guys can start looking at areas to hunt.

So, all that to ask, how does the second week of December look for you guys?

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will make time for any open available time slot.

What is the weather like like in December? Temp ranges, snow/rain?

Is the prevalent wind NW?

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2nd week of Dec works for me!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spears legal?

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think so

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by badger
Spears legal?

YES!

But now rockchucker and NHK9 will be showing up! grin

Turdlike, by default.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Thanksgiving is a great time to hunt Bankhead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How's everybody else feel about early December?

How many nights/days do you want to plan for?

I'll probably tow my smoker up with me, have at least one good night's worth of eats for us all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can take at least 2 days off of work for a thur, fri, sat, sun affair. Perhaps more

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I might make a trip down for an evening.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4 day Thursday-Sunday would be good for me. That might get us on both the WMA and the National Forrest Land as I think the WMA is just a weekend gig.

Ok never mind, I just checked the dates WMA opened Dec 11-14.

Last edited by 444Matt; 09/30/13. Reason: I was wrong.
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,096 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.