Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Honestly my friend, this may not be what your looking for in a Eastern whitetail hunt. For your needs you may want to consider TN, KY, or VA.

Although there are some decent sized deer in the Alabama woods, they aren't in high numbers. Most deer that I've seen here tend to be smaller than the deer father North.

What Alabama does offer is the near guarantee that you'll fill your freezer. Deer and pigs are everywhere and you can take one a day.

As far as the camp amenities go, it'll be tents, hammocks, and maybe a RV or two.

There are toilet facilities and water available.

Shooting distances, you'll be hard pressed to shoot any father than 50 yards.

It may not be that kind of hunt that you're looking for. But as you well know being a veteran of campfire get togethers, it will be a good time and there is game in these here woods.

Would love to see ya again, but completely understand if what you're looking for is found elsewhere.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Mark, I'd say a .348 would fit in fine around there.

It would be most excellent for this hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Honestly my friend, this may not be what your looking for in a Eastern whitetail hunt. For your needs you may want to consider TN, KY, or VA.

Although there are some decent sized deer in the Alabama woods, they aren't in high numbers. Most deer that I've seen here tend to be smaller than the deer father North.

What Alabama does offer is the near guarantee that you'll fill your freezer. Deer and pigs are everywhere and you can take one a day.

As far as the camp amenities go, it'll be tents, hammocks, and maybe a RV or two.

There are toilet facilities and water available.

Shooting distances, you'll be hard pressed to shoot any father than 50 yards.

It may not be that kind of hunt that you're looking for. But as you well know being a veteran of campfire get togethers, it will be a good time and there is game in these here woods.

Would love to see ya again, but completely understand if what you're looking for is found elsewhere.

Actually, I think this hunt just might be the deal I need. Anyone have extra space for me in their tent or RV? I am not going to be able to pack any such stuff in an airline sized suitcase. Is the hunt area anywhere near an airport I can fly into? I don't want to be a pain in the butt to anyone, but will need a bit of logistical assistance at that end such as a place to sleep and a ride from and back to an airport If I make the journey.

How much is a non resident license and tag? Or tag(s)? Any tree squirrels in those woods? I LOVE hunting and eating tree squirrels and would probably make the trip just for that!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can fly right in to BHM or into Huntsville I believe. Would be willing to offer a ride from BHM as I live just 30 minutes south of there, and space in my tent, I might, just MIGHT be able to borrow an RV from a friend you are welcome to that as well. IFIC you're a big fella like myself and figure you could use the room.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plenty of tree rats, and the season runs through February so you'd be good on that.

For anybody considering joining us from out of state, here is a link for licensing and fees.
http://www.outdooralabama.com/licenses/ALLicenses/NonResRec.cfm

$128 for a 3 day
$181 for a 10 day

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK, just need to look at air fare costs, I am about 1/2 way there! Partly for the tree ratz!

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If you decide to fly into HSV (Huntsville) it's less than a 5 minute drive from my house. I'd be MORE than willing to give ya a ride.

Would be great to see ya again!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Matt,

Thanks for all the assists on this thread, amigo! You're help has been invaluable!

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very excited about this Mark, thanks for grabbing the idea and running with it. I think we all are going to have a great time and hopefully feel some freezers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck I'd pick up Safariman just to drool on his M71 (I'll wipe it off when I'm done!)

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
He does have a lot of cool toys.

I'd pick him up because the hour of conversation on the way to the woods would be worth the cost in gas. grin

You're gonna like him.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Regrettably the calendar is full so I can't make it.
I hope you have a good time.
Has anyone heard if there are any 2014 24 HCF Hog Hunt plans in the works?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R1150R

Yeah! I want to know about that one, too!

I am still about 60% in the can and will go department on this hunt. Largely due to the kind outpouring of help with logistics as I will need to fly in and share some lodging. Also because of the warm welcome to the hunt from those going. Much appreciated! I sold off a few toys today at a local gun show and am going to try to squirrel away enough money to make this happen. The truck and our home need repairs more than I need to deer hunt, but if those don't eat up all of my gun show money then I will likely be in like flint.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

This is usually about the time of year that rumblings start to happen about that, but I haven't heard any yet.

Was a great time last year.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

This is usually about the time of year that rumblings start to happen about that, but I haven't heard any yet.

Was a great time last year.

just make sure to give us a heads up if you bring your wife again so we can make sure to get her her own jar of moonshine.....she really did not like giving up the jar.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Moonshine....There was moonshine at the hog hunt? I'm sorry, I just can't believe that.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Was being the key word here.

She really liked it.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Moonshine....There was moonshine at the hog hunt? I'm sorry, I just can't believe that.

sorry you had to find out this way, we tried to protect your delicate sensibilities while we were there......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'll get over it.....

By the way, happy birthday, HAJ!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank ya kindly sir

Turdlike, by default.
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,894 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,525
Posts18,452,829
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.