Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've eaten pronghorn from several others' killings. It has been excellent. I've eaten Mt goat of my own killing - it too has been excellent- nearly the quality of wild sheep. The two species (pronghorn and mt goat) are not related...

IIRC, the mt goat is most closely related to antelope, while the pronghorn is way out there somewhere on it's own...

Like said above, much depends on shot placement, and after-shot care, tho individual animals can vary somewhat.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
I've eaten pronghorn from several others' killings. It has been excellent. I've eaten Mt goat of my own killing - it too has been excellent- nearly the quality of wild sheep. The two species (pronghorn and mt goat) are not related...

IIRC, the mt goat is most closely related to antelope, while the pronghorn is way out there somewhere on it's own...

Like said above, much depends on shot placement, and after-shot care, tho individual animals can vary somewhat.

goats and sheep are related to bovines and true antelopes

prong horn belong to the same general group but they split off much earlier than the others with no truly close relatives....all of them, sheep, goats, bovines, speed goats, giraffes, deer ect belong to the same Infraorder: Pecora.....

they then split off from there with bovines, sheep and goats going to the family Bovidae and girrafes and speed goats going to their own families of which speedgoats are the last living member of theirs though there used to be a heck of a variety.....same with the girrafe group only the subspecies of girrafes and okapis today but used to be a whole lot....

Last edited by rattler; 10/01/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As stated over and over, care is the key to any game.

We hang ours in a meat locker on the ranch to cool for at least 14 days. For a lot of people it's not possible due to temps, but we are able to do it and it makes a significant difference.

6 days is minimum for us when we dry age otherwise there isn't much point.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You are a splitter rather than a lumper, right? smile

Infraorder is waaay back there... family not so much, even if you are the last hold out.

Would that make the pronghorn the "tan and white" "sheep" of their family? smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah i tend to split.....but i also think the system is full of issues cause if yah spend any real time dealing with it, ESPECIALLY when you start messing with plants the whole thing starts looking half retarded at the genus level....start messing with orchids and you really start shaking your head alot....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
dts, Interesting what you wrote about hanging antelope.. Years ago, I read a piece about hanging game.. They recommended 10-14 days for elk, 5-10 for deer, and after 3 days it made little diff. for antelope.. We have let them hang as little as 2days or as many as 10.. But the jerky was still the same excellent..
We may try a tender loin of antelope this mth. as soon as I take another doe.. The first is already in jerky and about half gone..
My relatives are still here, we just had a tenderloin from my mulie taken this fall, excellent.. My stepson pan fried it.. It will be easy to try the antelope this way.. More later..

Molon Labe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm hoping to get a chance to shoot an antelope in a couple of weeks and I'll try hanging for just two days if I get one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dtspoke
I'm hoping to get a chance to shoot an antelope in a couple of weeks and I'll try hanging for just two days if I get one.

in theory, hanging speed goats shouldnt do much cause they dont have near as much of the connective tissue in their muscle that needs broken down like beef does....believe one of the Wyoming Universities did a scientific study on this awhile back.....that said if your temps are ok to do it it sure aint gonna hurt....

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I used to get the whole goat made into jerkey, best there is, friends will fight over it!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
This morning before the family left, we slipped out for one last hunt.. I had a doe permit, which we filled just as the sun came up.. While they did some packing, I skinned the antelope, and pulled the inside loins out of the doe.. Washed them off and told my step son if he liked we could fry them up just as he had done the mule deer tenderloin several days ago.. Just to see how antelope would taste fried.. With seven people, there was just about one little steak apiece.. I must say it was very good..A slightly different taste than deer or elk, but good.. Everyone like it, even the non game eater of the clan.. Some of the boys liked it a bit better than deer.. But the rest will still go into jerky.. I think all our jerky is in the Chev. truck headed to Mich.. Great still have a buck tag to fill..

Molon Labe
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dang. Can't believe you turn good antelope into jerky. I reserve the real ordinary cuts of the gut shot and or rutty old animals for such use.

Jerky tastes the same whether I use the best meat or the nasty, so why not save the delectable type game and cuts for steaks?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Favorite way is take a 1.5" pronghorn backstrap steak(aka boneless New York) and grill it 3 minutes per side at 450F.

Let it set under tinfoil for a minute or two then devour.

I like a little spicy salt with it, or not.

So good.

So tender I sometimes forget to properly chew and about choke out sometimes......grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yep. 99.99% of the folks who say they don't like antelope meat didn't clean it quickly, cool the meat down and/or age it.

If it's done right, it's superb. I killed a little meat buck this year. Super tender meat and it tastes great!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Favorite way is take a 1.5" pronghorn backstrap steak(aka boneless New York) and grill it 3 minutes per side at 450F.

So good.

So tender I sometimes forget to properly chew and about choke out sometimes......grin

I hear ya! Usually bread ours, but basically the same deal. So tender and mild. Delicious!

If I was on Death Row, I would request pronghorn backstrap as my last meal, that's how much I like it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

So good.

I hear ya! Usually bread ours, but basically the same deal. So tender and mild. Delicious!

If I was on Death Row, I would request pronghorn backstrap as my last meal, that's how much I like it.
Breaded then grilled? Mind expounding a bit? I have a few in the freezer awaiting and am interested in something new.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"If I was on Death Row, I would request pronghorn backstrap as my last meal, that's how much I like it."

Exactly. Antelope backstraps are the best game meat ive ever had.

Josh

Life is hard,its even harder when you are stupid.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JoshK
"If I was on Death Row, I would request pronghorn backstrap as my last meal, that's how much I like it."

Exactly. Antelope backstraps are the best game meat ive ever had.

Josh

Agree. The one I shot last year was fantastic. The backstraps can't be beat.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

So good.

Breaded then grilled? Mind expounding a bit? I have a few in the freezer awaiting and am interested in something new.

Dip in egg, roll in flour, throw in hot pan with lots of oil.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't get too complicated with my cooking. smile

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Here's a variation of that, finger steaks. Roll meat in flour with salt and pepper, dip in egg and then roll in crushed saltines. Pan fry in deep oil.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 668 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.