Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Reading all the doom and gloom thought I would share a little bout the school/kids I drive bus for.

At any given time I'd say 30% of the kids are wearing shirts with a crucifix and the words God, Jesus and Love on them. Don't seem to be the first complaint anywhere.

Had a 3rd grader with a shoe box full of bullets he and his dad found whilst relic hunting. Apparently having bullets at school ain't a reason to lock down the building.

Lots of sirs and misters flying around. Older kids look out for the younger kids. Little girls have no problems putting band aids on little boys that scrape their knees running to the bus.

Taught one of the older boys on the bus some of the controls of the bus, how to stop and how to use the emergency brake and radio, just in case I happen to drop dead while driving.

The kids continue to impress as does the school. It's only 45 or so kids but I'm liking how the future looks.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good to hear, good idea to teach them how the bus works, you never know.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Is that a private school? If so, what affiliation, if any?

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't sell it......

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Negative, it's a public school

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Reading all the doom and gloom thought I would share a little bout the school/kids I drive bus for.

At any given time I'd say 30% of the kids are wearing shirts with a crucifix and the words God, Jesus and Love on them. Don't seem to be the first complaint anywhere.

Had a 3rd grader with a shoe box full of bullets he and his dad found whilst relic hunting. Apparently having bullets at school ain't a reason to lock down the building.

Lots of sirs and misters flying around. Older kids look out for the younger kids. Little girls have no problems putting band aids on little boys that scrape their knees running to the bus.

Taught one of the older boys on the bus some of the controls of the bus, how to stop and how to use the emergency brake and radio, just in case I happen to drop dead while driving.

The kids continue to impress as does the school. It's only 45 or so kids but I'm liking how the future looks.
Most of the schools around here are like that, despite some stupidity from a few school employees that is immediately widely publicized from time to time. Most of the kids hunt and shoot too, at least the boys. Quite a few girls too. Many rodeo. Almost all have critters to take care of and lots belong to 4H.

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 10/04/13.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had to attend some parent meeting a couple of months back. The new female Principal explained the new cameras in the halls (and I'm not in favor of them but...) by saying something to the effect of, "the government won't let us have guns at school to protect the kids so we have to resort to other measures,".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Dad did the same with me when I was about 9. Taught me how to drive a manual trans in case something happened to him at camp - I could at the least get down the road to the neighbors with the truck.

Me

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks, I needed that.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks, Steelhead. Great post.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Now there ya go, bringing a little sunshine to this depressing, end of the world place...

Keep up the good work smile

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nice to hear that Scott.

Have no doubt you are doing your best to help them to do the right thing and enjoy life too!

Way to go.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
After thirty-two years in the classroom and another six years subbing and volunteering, I can attest that there are a great many really wonderful kids in our schools. What we need to do is set things up to provide them with a good basic education that is unhindered by those who do not wish to take advantage of what is offered. If we do that, they will do well.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How do I time travel back to 1955? I wanna be on your bus too.

- Rogue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good job!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been fairly involved in my kids extra-caricular school activities so have gotten to know quite a few kids in the schools over the years. Somehow I've been volunteered to be the burger flipper several years running at the high school homecoming tailgate party and the cross country running region championships race. The kids are by and large very polite and curteous. Several of them found a simple thank you insufficient so came up to me to say how much they appreciated what I was doing.

A couple weeks back I volunteered in a couple of the biology classes to tell the kids some details of how oil makes it out of the ground and through the pipeline, how science plays into it and how many different engineering jobs there were related to the industry. A few kids kinda had that look that they'd rather be somewhere else but most of them were tuned in and full of questions.

Somehow we tend to put too much energy focussing on the misfits and failures. I'd say the future doesn't look nearly so grim and there are some exceptionally bright and thoughtful kids that will be coming up in the future.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I've been fairly involved in my kids extra-caricular school activities so have gotten to know quite a few kids in the schools over the years. Somehow I've been volunteered to be the burger flipper several years running at the high school homecoming tailgate party and the cross country running region championships race. The kids are by and large very polite and curteous. Several of them found a simple thank you insufficient so came up to me to say how much they appreciated what I was doing.

A couple weeks back I volunteered in a couple of the biology classes to tell the kids some details of how oil makes it out of the ground and through the pipeline, how science plays into it and how many different engineering jobs there were related to the industry. A few kids kinda had that look that they'd rather be somewhere else but most of them were tuned in and full of questions.

Somehow we tend to put too much energy, resources, effort, and attention focussing on the misfits and failures. I'd say the future doesn't look nearly so grim and there are some exceptionally bright and thoughtful kids that will be coming up in the future.

Had to add.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
458 Lott said:

"Somehow we tend to put too much energy focusing on the misfits and failures. I'd say the future doesn't look nearly so grim and there are some exceptionally bright and thoughtful kids that will be coming up in the future".

It's my observation that we spend 80% of the schools time and money with the top 10% who are going to fail and the 10% who are the gifted and talented. The 80% of the kids who are not dysfunctional and who are not at risk to fail and who are the average student who just wants to graduate and move on get the 20% of the time and money.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our rural kids are all like that. Quite capable, they watch out for one another, and they can look an adult in the eye during a conversation.

By rural, I mean those that have a 100 mile run to town, and they don't need a smart phone for entertainment.

You are blessed to be there.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice to hear all is not lost yet. Do they call you Crankshaft, how is Fettermans mailbox fairing? smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great story, thanks for sharing.

Kids sure do tend to bring out the good side in a man don't they?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Smiling.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What a nice change of pace from all of the negative things that we constantly hear about happening in the world today...

Thanks for sharing Sir!

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nice!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Rural Louisiana?

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Rural anywhere. Most of the city kids ain't half bad either. I went on a trip to inner-city Milwaukee last year, to the ghettos, and didn't find most of the kids there much of a problem either.

It's just that the bad apples get all the attention (and seem to be inordinately drawn to political lives).

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Tennessee.

There is one mail box in danger on the route, I already scraped it enough to take me reflective tape off.

What are people thinking, the box is on the white line. If the bus is 8' wide the lane on those narrow roads are 8'1".

That mailbox is right on the line going into a sharp curve. I can't tell you how many folks drive in the other lane on these narrow roads, makes it sporty for sure.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Don't forget to thank the messenger...

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Ken Howell?

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
The Halloween bus trip should be a doozie.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
I've already given out several bags of gummy bears, lollipops and gum.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Sounds like we need to bus in some city kids and some ACLU members to improve the situation there. Last thing we want is a bunch of well-adjusted kids who get along most of the time and believe in God.

Gotta ram diversity down their throats whether they like it or not. Heck, watch TV and you'll know right away that the country is 30% black, 40% Latino, and 29% gay. All the Christian white folks died off back in the 1950's....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Is this one of them there kitten threads referred to in that there Jesus Cave thread?

GOA
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I think I might make a night raid and help those people move their mail box. Accidents happen.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
You that's what kids are about

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This really is a happy post, it has been over a month and nothing from BrentD since he posted here on the 4th of October...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd venture a guess that those bullets were found somewhere around Shiloh???? Not a student of history and don't have a good memory for details but seems I remember a battle taking place in the area on a sunken road or something like that?

It speaks well of you to be a mentor to kids today, Scott. Being a person who does not enjoy the society of kids I have to admire you. I don't find kids so repugnant if they are mannerly and not bullies. If I hate anything in this world it's a bully.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Our rural kids are all like that. Quite capable, they watch out for one another, and they can look an adult in the eye during a conversation.

By rural, I mean those that have a 100 mile run to town, and they don't need a smart phone for entertainment.

You are blessed to be there.

The thought came to mind that the kids are blessed that Scott is there. Sounds like a good deal for all concerned.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Good post Steelhead. Those kids might change your thoughts about God if you aren't careful. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MColeman

It speaks well of you to be a mentor to kids today, Scott. Being a person who does not enjoy the society of kids I have to admire you. I don't find kids so repugnant if they are mannerly and not bullies. If I hate anything in this world it's a bully.

Yes sir! Totally agree. There are a couple of kids around here who would benefit from this kind of wisdom and insightful thinking.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
There's a new girl on the bus, 8th grader. A 1st grade boy has taken a shine to her. He is good kid and is missing most of his front teeth at present.

He sat next to the girl the other day 40 minutes before his stop. After he left the bus I said to the girl that it looks like she had a new boyfriend.

She then told me, yea and do you believe he calls me BUTTERCUP.

I laughed and laughed.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Now I can't get that old song "build me up buttercup" outta' my head.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a new girl on the bus, 8th grader. A 1st grade boy has taken a shine to her. He is good kid and is missing most of his front teeth at present.

He sat next to the girl the other day 40 minutes before his stop. After he left the bus I said to the girl that it looks like she had a new boyfriend.

She then told me, yea and do you believe he calls me BUTTERCUP.

I laughed and laughed.

Sounds like he's got the girls figured out about 50 years ahead of his time. grin

Nice kind of "happy post" btw.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great post. Great kids almost always means great parents. Involved parents make all the difference in the world.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 44mc, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.