-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems to be a common theme with the TB Sledgehammers. I've heard more than one PH express a disdain and lack of trust in the bullet.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Shakari
Worst I've ever seen are the TBBC and the best I've ever used by a country mile are GS Custom monolithic solids. smile

I use GS Custom exclusively in all my hunting rifles. Are you talking about the FN or the HV in your above post?

...and are you talking in a hunting sense or in a stopping rifle?

Last edited by KMG; 10/06/13.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In my tiny statistical experience with buffalo I have experienced NO failres with either Hornaday 500 grain softs or solids, the 300 grain softs and solids in .375, and the 300 grain .375 steel solids from Woodleigh. I have, however, seen the nose of one Woodleigh .375 "expand/flatten" and look as if it had been "smeared" to the side of the bullet. The buffalo didn't notice and was dead in less than a minute or two. I also had a 300 grain Hornaday soft that looked as if only one half of the bullet had hit bone - it opened up only on one half of the bullet.

Some wonderful hours have been spent with my best pals talking about our experiences with recovered bullets and how the animal reacted. So far we have NO idea of what caused what some would call "failures" and why there seemed to be no difference in the reaction of the animal.

Terry

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
CEB solids....

+1...... The Barnes Band solid in flat point form is also in that category but I am not a fan of the round nose version

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
KMG

I was referring to the FN mono solid & I reckon they're the very best for both hunting & stopping. smile

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Shakari,

How do those GS flat-nose solids feed in bolt actions?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Shakari,

How do those GS flat-nose solids feed in bolt actions?

When I first saw them I thought it'd be a BIG problem but I was completely wrong....... they slide in like butter. smile

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good deal! Since the trend toward flat noses solids started there have been some problems in that area. What rifle or rifles are you shooting 'em in?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used then in a Z24 action (404 Jeffery) & a L/H Weatherby MkV action ((rebuilt to) .500 Jeffery)

Also seen them used in umpteen calibres & actions & never seen a single problem with them.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Great! Thanks for the info.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Incidentally, one of the chapters of my books focuses on bullets & has a fair number of pics that illustrate the point that FMJ solids don't come close to a good mono solid..... esp the GSC FN.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Originally Posted by ingwe
Winchestermodel70: Please GFY.

Such language! What's your problem?

Why don't you let Mule Deer speak for himself so we can learn from his personal experiences shooting DG with solids?

Why do you do this kind of thing constantly? confused

We get the message that you have been to Africa a bunch of times and shot some African dangerous game;that really takes nothing more than the ability to stroke a bunch of large checks.

Be reminded that Elmer Keith doled out a bunch of good advise on dangerous game rifles, cartridges and bullets,is frequently cited,and IIRC went on a grand total of one safari.

Your advise is appreciated, but calling out other people for passing along information (appreciated especially considering his stature in the shooting/hunting community) is distracting and,(how do they say?) unseemly grandstanding. smirk

My gripe with Mule Deer is that he persists in opining on hunting DG when he has no personal experience hunting DG. He's never hunted or shot elephant, rhino, lion or leopard, yet he can't restrain himself from giving his opinions on what works and what doesn't. And when confronted with that fact, he does all he can to avoid admitting that in truth, he's never done it.

And, sir, if you think hunting DG and taking the Big Five is simply a matter of writing checks, then I suggest you write the checks, go on the safaris and let us know if you still hold that view to be true after you have completed the deed.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've reread his post. He specifically "opines" on bullets deforming based on what they are made of. Seems you look for something to gripe about and have a chip on your shoulder -- that's what's unseemly.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

My gripe with Mule Deer is that he persists in opining on hunting DG when he has no personal experience hunting DG. He's never hunted or shot elephant, rhino, lion or leopard, yet he can't restrain himself from giving his opinions on what works and what doesn't. And when confronted with that fact, he does all he can to avoid admitting that in truth, he's never done it

Not to grind this into the turf,but as far as I know from his writings, he has hunted Cape Buffalo,made several trips to Africa,and has hunted grizzly bear here. Both Cape Buffalo and grizzly are generally and widely regarded as "dangerous game",are they not?

He has years of studying terminal ballistics and observed results on game.

Seems to me, you were stalking him like a pointer working singles after a covey burst... wink

I read his post,and he made general comments on the behavior of solid bullets.Was there something "wrong" in what he said?

Since when is he required to pass your litmus test before he offers an "opinion"? By his profession and his experiences,he qualifies as an "expert"....it's you I am not certain of.

Experts gather knowledge not only through their own experiences, but from other sources as well.

Why? Because "personal experiences" can be thin,flawed,wrought with personal prejudice and limited perspective,and not so all encompassing in scope. I would bet that you did not come by "all" your knowledge of solid bullets strictly on your own...if you are honest,you will admit to having at least SOME advise along the way.

Otto von Bismarck is credited with having said that a wise man learns through the experiences of others; a fool through his own.

In any event your carping and sniping (in the interests of your own self-aggrandisement)detracted from the thread.My apologies to the OP for having done likewise.

Thanks for the tip on hunting dangerous game; I have only done so twice.You are not the first person, here or elsewhere, to have stroked a five figure check for the privilege.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH

My gripe with Mule Deer is that he persists in opining on hunting DG when he has no personal experience hunting DG. He's never hunted or shot elephant, rhino, lion or leopard, yet he can't restrain himself from giving his opinions on what works and what doesn't. And when confronted with that fact, he does all he can to avoid admitting that in truth, he's never done it

Not to grind this into the turf,but as far as I know from his writings, he has hunted Cape Buffalo,made several trips to Africa,and has hunted grizzly bear here. Both Cape Buffalo and grizzly are generally and widely regarded as "dangerous game",are they not?

He has years of studying terminal ballistics and observed results on game.

Seems to me, you were stalking him like a pointer working singles after a covey burst... wink

I read his post,and he made general comments on the behavior of solid bullets.Was there something "wrong" in what he said?

Since when is he required to pass your litmus test before he offers an "opinion"? By his profession and his experiences,he qualifies as an "expert"....it's you I am not certain of.

Experts gather knowledge not only through their own experiences, but from other sources as well.

Why? Because "personal experiences" can be thin,flawed,wrought with personal prejudice and limited perspective,and not so all encompassing in scope. I would bet that you did not come by "all" your knowledge of solid bullets strictly on your own...if you are honest,you will admit to having at least SOME advise along the way.

Otto von Bismarck is credited with having said that a wise man learns through the experiences of others; a fool through his own.

In any event your carping and sniping (in the interests of your own self-aggrandisement)detracted from the thread.My apologies to the OP for having done likewise.

Thanks for the tip on hunting dangerous game; I have only done so twice.You are not the first person, here or elsewhere, to have stroked a five figure check for the privilege.

Bravo! I wish that I could convey my thoughts as well through the written word

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
BobinNH & Ingwe:

Is Mule Deer so weak in the knees that he can't defend his own opinions and depends on his usual minions to do it for him? If I'm a pointer, then you guys are lap dogs.

The guy may have a lot of experience handloading, hunting deer, elk, geese and whatever. He may know what makes a rifle shoot tight groups and how many grains of powder X to put in a .30/06 case, but he's never stood in front of a charging elephant, dropped it and then watched whilst the bullet was recovered. Until he does, he simply has no credibility on that topic. Not with me, anyway.

Craig Boddington, on the other hand, has done well over 100 African safaris and taken the Big Five multiple times. When Craig writes about solids and how they perform on heavy DG, he speaks with authority based on his wealth of DG experience and I listen. That's because he's been there, done it and has "seen the elephant". Up close, in the bush and not just at the Bronx Zoo. See the difference?

If you can't "see the difference" between actual experience and conjecture, then I am at at loss as to be able to explain it with any more clarity.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have shot all my "dangerous" game with AP (armor piercing) bullets! wink

And we know that all things work for the good for those who love The Lord, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8-28
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Stop being a dickwad, dickwad. You're doing it just because you can.
Also you are damaging Model 70s everywhere by your association with them.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah I get it..... smirk

Now you have to be Craig Boddington to voice an opinion on bullets.... smirk

You don't want him to express an opinion because you don't think he has enough experience....not that he said something that is factually incorrect...but you don't want him to voice an "opinion"....at all...because he does not meet yourstandards.

They call that censorship.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,867 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,952
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.