Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I love mine. The #25 Skinner at the bottom I've had for about fifteen years and has skinned (helped to anyway) everything from Cape Buffalo to American Bison. The one on top is on it's second sheath and I flew with it during my entire flying career in the Navy. Second from the bottom I bought to go with my Sharps and the second from top I just sold.

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna

[Linked Image]this Randall #11 has been my 'go to' dead animal knife for 25 years or so. I have newer, more modern knives, but I still reach for the old Randall.
I do wish Gary Randall would start using newer steels. 440B is a joke. The prices these days are steep, and I probably won't buy any more. The few I have will have to do.
At my age, the 5 year wait is out of the question as well. laugh

Last edited by Mannlicher; 10/07/13.

Sam......

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Was just looking at knives on eBay, those Randalls command a hell of a cash wad. Are they really that superior, or am I seeing more of a collectable market.

I have one and it is very good knife. One of my favorites. Their value only increases as time goes by due to the lead time and name recognition.

I always recommend people order one just to have a real Randall. They charge you the price of the knife at the time you place your order, so you can never really lose money on them.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Just found their website, are the new knives considered as good as the older ones, minus the collectable value?

They look like a quality knife, but if I were to buy one for use I would probably look for one that shows some ware and a bit cheaper because so. Nice looking knives.

I've carried a Randall 14 over a bit of the world... I think it's the best tool I ever had and it's now on a 3rd sheath.

[Linked Image]
The same Randall is on this young buck sergeant.
[Linked Image]

Doesn't get much cooler.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Years ago, I visited the Randall shop 3-4 times, just to hang out and look at their small museum off to the side of their showroom. They always had a few knives for sale and you could have them without a wait if you could be happy with what was there.

At the time, I just couldn't afford them. I agree they're good knives, but these days they're not the only good knives available. Nostalgia and a link to the past is a powerful thing, though, and I wouldn't discourage anyone from having a Randall.

One day about 25 years ago, I was in a meeting and a young man sitting next to me opened his hard-sided briefcase to get something. He did it real quick, so that nobody could see what he had in there.

It was a Randall, in its sheath and looked brand new. I saw it only for a second, no more, but I knew what it was, which is a kind of testiment to the mystique of their brand, I suppose.

I leaned over to him and whispered, "Is that a Randall-made knife you've got in there?" The look of astonishment on his face was priceless. Not that I saw the knife but that I had known what it was and I had said the magic words "Randall-made."

He said he'd just picked it up and his father had ordered it for him years before as a gift. It was pretty funny. (And no, I still don't own one.)

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
was reading a book from a knife nut that is former special forces type from the 70's and 80's and listening to some of the chit they did in their down time to knives for entertainment and "testing" is unreal.....back then they were real happy with Randall's cause they could torture the hell out of them, use them for near anything off the wall and it was near impossible to break the blade unlike the issue KaBar which had extremely variable quality depending on which run you got one out of from which contract company....they had no clue if it was gonna snap on the first solid twist on the blade or not so the lot of them usually carried some sort of Randall cause they knew they would be able to trust it every time....

today there are any number of makers that can supply you with the same but a Randall is still gonna work too....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rattler
....back then they were real happy with Randall's cause they could torture the hell out of them, use them for near anything off the wall and it was near impossible to break the blade ....

About the time I was living a short drive from Randall's shop, I knew a guy whose EDC was a Randall Salt Water Fisherman. He used it as a pry bar, scraper, wire cutter, chopper, poker ... just about anything you could do with and to a knife.

It was his second, I think. He didn't just use a knife, he used-up a knife. And that Randall could take it for a long time.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm going to order a Randall #1 for the hell of it.

Figure if you throw $5.00 a month in an envelope, for five years, you'll have it paid for pretty easily. grin

Travis

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by deflave

Figure if you throw $5.00 a month in an envelope, for five years, you'll have it paid for pretty easily. grin

Travis

Travis,

I have 4 Randalls' and would not part with them for no amount that is reasonable. You won't regret it.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What's wrong with the steel they use Sam?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Although I don't own one, here is a good source:
http://www.agrussell.com/knives-by-maker-randall-made-knives/c/2537/

FJB & FJT
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Travis

Travis,

I have 4 Randalls' and would not part with them for no amount that is reasonable. You won't regret it.

Yeah, always wanted a #1 even though I doubt I will ever use that pattern.

This is the one I use for hunting.

BUSHmaster.... grin

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]

The No 1 makes a very good fruit tree trimmer.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI
What's wrong with the steel they use Sam?

Jorge, the 01 is fine. The few Randall knives I have are )! steel. Holds a great edge, takes hard work in stride.
I do not like, or think much, of the 440B steel that Randall uses for Stainless.
There are far better steels out there today though. S30V, S3V, ELMAX and others.

Sam......

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Travis

Travis,

Yeah, always wanted a #1 even though I doubt I will ever use that pattern.

This is the one I use for hunting.

BUSHmaster.... grin

[Linked Image]

Nothing wrong with the master of the BUSH. A #1 will skunn anything out there, so it'll get it's due. Only bad thing is, don't fall off a horse onto it. They can and will go through the sheath. It's one of the reasons why my 14 is on it's 3rd sheath.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Lee, my old Model 7 is on its third sheath too...but I never fell on it!! eek

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, Sam. I don't think mine are stainless except maybe the Fighting Knife.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Lee, my old Model 7 is on its third sheath too...but I never fell on it!! eek

[Linked Image]

I did fall on mine.... on a para drop from a helo at 1600 Ft. that I jump mastered. Was real careful where it was placed after that.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That explains it. I try not to jump out of perfectly good aircraft....

wink

Good to see you posting again Bud....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,936 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,349
Posts18,468,835
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.