-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the kind of coin Mr. Sisk gets, I'd be looking at a Borden built rifle and have a top flight custom action to boot.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Spotshooter,

The custom rifle book isn't mine, it's Charlie's. I just contributed a few chapters.

Interesting that this thread keeps going even after the OP posted that he was thinking about buying a slightly USED Sisk rifle for $2000. Apparently yet another thread where nobody reads anything except the first post, or maybe even the headline.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Oh yeah... Forgot I bought that book partially for the signature...
Still a good book of course, also gives a fella an Idea on how Charlie's standard which seem pretty good to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dunno what other shooters consider an accurate custom rifle, but I've owned three Sisks, all lightweight hunting rifles, though not as light as NULA's.

The first was a .250 Savage built on a short 700 action, used mostly for larger varmints and deer-sized game. It would average in the .3's with 75-grain V-Max's and RL-15, and shot almost as well with 100-grain Ballistic Tips and H4350. My wife won a shooting contest with it using the 75-grain load. Everybody at a prairie dog shoot got ONE shot at a stuffed prairie dog filled with black powder and primers at 350 yards. The wind was blowing pretty well, but between is we figured it out, and Eileen blew up the dog on the first shot of the contest. It weighed a little under 7 pounds with a 3-9x Leupold.

The second was a .300 Winchester Magnum on a tang-safety Ruger 77 action. I never did much load development with it, because during the first range session it shot cloverleaves with 168 TSX's (RL-19) and 200 Partitions (Ramshot Magnum). On a mule deer hunt in Mexico I sat down at a fold-up table and shot over my rolled-up jacket to check the scope, and three of TSX's touched at 100 yards. The rifle's weight was just at 8 pounds with a 6x42 Leupold.

The third is my 9.3 BS, also on a short 700. There was something wrong with the first scope mounted, but switched to a proven one for the next range session and the first 5 groups, shot with three different powders and five different Barnes, Norma and Nosler bullets weighing 232-286 grains, averaged .6 inch, with the groups ranging from .32 to .91. Once I refined the loads it averaged a little under half an inch with the same basic array of bullets. Oh, and all those groups were shot with low-powered variables or fixed 4x scopes. It weighs 7-1/4 pounds with a 4x Leupold in Talley steel rings.

Yep, go to Charlies website and watch his video's. You'll learn something more than likely. One in particular on a CRF 45/70 feeding correctly, barrels and so on. I don't and haven't owned one of his rifles but certainly would.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spotshooter,

The custom rifle book isn't mine, it's Charlie's. I just contributed a few chapters.

Interesting that this thread keeps going even after the OP posted that he was thinking about buying a slightly USED Sisk rifle for $2000. Apparently yet another thread where nobody reads anything except the first post, or maybe even the headline.
I'm thinking that's a pretty good deal...

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by pointer
Spotshooter,

Thought so too. I'll let you know when it arrives. wink

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
By reading everyone post it seems Sisk is over priced for the quality of the product he supplies . I have never owned or fired one of Sisk rifles, so can't really rate the product or his work , I do know he gets lots of press from the Gun Rags in the Magazines, so i assume they are decent rifles , but never really knew the prices he charges to build one.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Charlie Sisk knows his stuff, and his rifles show it. For some guys, it will be the best money they ever spent.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wonder how many here recommended NOT buying one of his rifles when they haven't even owned one?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I had Charlie build me a .300 Win back in '04. I paid $4K for it back then, that was when a Legend went from $5-$8K I believe. It was my first synthetic custom.

I wanted a Krieger barrel as all my rifles had Kriegers. Charlie talked me into a Lilja. He was right. That rifle has been a one holer for comin on a decade.

Charlie builds a solid rifle. It'll shoot and be 100% reliable.

In custom rifles you get what you pay for. Good luck.

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 10/06/13.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd say you have to have a few rifles before you can dial in exactly with what you want in a custom job, and that is certainly reflected in the classified section here on the forum; Guys and gals constantly tinkering and trying different widgets.

Having said that as long as you do some research into who will build your dream rifle, and go into the process knowing full well it will takes a long time you should be set.

Go get a Remington 700 action; everybody likes em', everybody works on em', parts are everywhere, and you can do about anything with em'

Buy any barrel the Bugholes.com sells

Try McMillan and manners stocks, buy whatever fits you the best

Leupold scopes are bread and butter classics

Any rings and bases you like the looks of; talley, conetrol, S&K

Maybe get another trigger; shilen, timely, jewel

Go hunt.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is my hunting rifle breakdown:

Mid sixties Remington 700 $200 (after I sold the wood stock)

Brux tube #3 contour $315 no wait time

McMillan mountain rifle stock $550

Williams bottom metal $125

Zeiss 3x9x40 $350

S&K rings & bases $50 I think

I'm about to box everything up to send to LongRifles inc for their group buy. They will true the action, chamber the tube and screw it on, then cerakote everything. $550 with about a two week turnaround time once they receive it

That's $2140 total cost for the exact rifle I wanted all ready to hunt. Including the McMillan wait time February 27-October 1, plus the minor wait at the smith I'm looking at 8-9 months total wait time.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't have a Sisk rifle, but took the time to read the book he put together with a number of other rifle looneys. I was impressed with his straight forward approach, and the fact that he has conducted a number of controlled experiment's allowing one to make up their mind. He seems to spend a great deal of time developing a relationship with each customer which makes sense . By doing so he gets the custom builds to fit correctly to each customer. I think he did a great job of dispelling some of the common myths in the custom rifle world, plus he seems to have a very exstensive machining background. I think price is a very relative thing. Are his guns worth what he asks for them......they must be or he would not still be around. Apparently many people feel they are . I hope I can afford a rifle like that someday. There are some true craftsman in the custom rifle market, for what it is worth, I think Charlie is one of the finest. I think some of the other folks mentioned build great rifles as well. It's a great country where we have that type of choice and oppertunity. Goodshot

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the things Charlie does sell is customer service. I know other custom smiths who do, but I also know some who pretty much build the rifle they build for everybody and that's it. They take the down payment, build the rifle, and ship it out.

Charlie knows more about stock fit than most, and especially more than most who use synthetic stocks. He also will work with different actions, not just 700's or 700 clones, and so knows the pros and cons of many--and what might work for a particular customer's desires. He'll work up a handload for the customer in his indoor 100-yard range, using a Pressure Trace system. He often delivers rifles personally; I know he drove at least a couple to Georgia this year, combining the trip with some other business. All of that counts for something, and is one reason he has a lot of repeat customers who've been ordering his rifles for years. I've spent time with quite a few of 'em.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Originally Posted by pointer
Spotshooter,

Thought so too. I'll let you know when it arrives. wink

ddj
Sweet! Looking forward to the pics and range report. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Visited with Mr. Sisk at the NRA Convention in Houston earlier this year. He was pleasant to talk to, but was pretty much into the tactical stocks and that type rifle. He was very honest and said that is where the money is made. Seems to be knowledgeable and no BS.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, tactical's where the market is headed, at least right now.

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
True but that gives us a chance to get traditional rifles cheaper.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I hope so, but don't count on it.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I hope so, but don't count on it.

Positive thinking. wink

ddj

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 57 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,637
Posts18,455,290
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.