NIKON PROSTAFF - 480 CLICKS OF CAN-DO!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#8103545 - 09/26/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: MTGunner]
hotsoup Offline
Campfire Tracker

brentd and rattler are right on. listen and learn.

RV 728 BP
CLICK HERE for GREAT SAVINGS on SUPERB TAMRON LENSES from CAMERA LAND!
#8103613 - 09/26/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: hotsoup]
SamOlson Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Haven't hunted one since '10.

That Winter was brutal.

Still not that many around.

#8103650 - 09/26/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: SamOlson]
ingwe Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Southwestern Montucky
My experience with antelope is all over the charts. Perfectly killed and cared for crop eaters turned out yucky. Sage eater after a nasty run-n-gun was the best meat Ive had! My last one was a sage eater, killed in its bed, skinned and cooled on the spot. Excellent!
A couple people mentioned chewy ones...this is only a theory mind you, but Ive seen chewiness result from improper cooling, more than any other factor.

#8103742 - 09/26/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: ingwe]
SamOlson Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Could be Poobs.

I've kept boned out meat(pronghorn and deer) on ice for 10 days or so before freezing and it has been great eating.

As for flavor an early season buck might be better eating?

Good antelope meat is really good grub.

#8103758 - 09/26/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: MTGunner]
rifletom Offline
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted By: MTGunner
Antelope meat is some of the finest game fair to grace a dinner table, IMHO. Yet, as others have stressed, putting the animal down and treatment is the utmost requirement. I have taken many, many antelope and have yet to be disappointed in the flavor. I will not shoot at a running 'loper buck or doe. It is important to find that 'loper the is resting, feeding or merely milling around. Dress them right away and get the hide off without getting too much hair on the carcass. Get him/her into a cooler with ice. If no ice at least keep the meat out of sunlight as much as possible. Then get them to a meat processor as soon as possible. Venison is good, 'loper is better. MTG

Exactly what he said. Period.

#8103768 - 09/26/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: rifletom]
Lhook7 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Cheyenne, WY
Originally Posted By: rifletom
Originally Posted By: MTGunner
Antelope meat is some of the finest game fair to grace a dinner table, IMHO. Yet, as others have stressed, putting the animal down and treatment is the utmost requirement. I have taken many, many antelope and have yet to be disappointed in the flavor. I will not shoot at a running 'loper buck or doe. It is important to find that 'loper the is resting, feeding or merely milling around. Dress them right away and get the hide off without getting too much hair on the carcass. Get him/her into a cooler with ice. If no ice at least keep the meat out of sunlight as much as possible. Then get them to a meat processor as soon as possible. Venison is good, 'loper is better. MTG

Exactly what he said. Period.

+1

#8111676 - 09/29/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: Lhook7]
Benben Offline

Loc: South Dakota
I love antelope meat. When I was a kid, my dad usually had them processed into jerky, summer sausage, etc. That gets very expensive. As an adult, I process my own, and my 13 year old son and I love it. We still occassionally make jerky and summer sausage ourselves, but prefer steaks.

We were out today, but the herds in northern Butte County,SD have not recovered from a severe winter kill a few years ago. Tough hunting!

Edited by Benben (09/29/13)

#8112397 - 09/29/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: SamOlson]
USMC2602 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: SamOlson

^^^ This.

#8113112 - 09/29/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: MTGunner]
NathanL Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: TX
I've only eaten it made into sausage and mixed with other stuff like pork and I thought it was top notch. Never ate it as just straight meat for a copmarison.

#8114770 - 09/30/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: SamOlson]
TexasPhotog Offline
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted By: SamOlson

I've kept boned out meat(pronghorn and deer) on ice for 10 days or so before freezing and it has been great eating.

This. I'm always amazed when people don't like antelope meat.

I just put up some antelope steaks from my 2013. He was a dink, the smallest buck I've ever killed, but the meat was tender!

#8114776 - 09/30/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: TexasPhotog]
chlinstructor Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: TX
I usually have mine processed into jerky & summer sausage. Too me, Antelope is a little more "gamey" tasting than whitetail. It's edible, but not my favorite.

#8114817 - 09/30/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: 405wcf]
WyColoCowboy Online   content
Campfire Guide

Loc: Woodland Park, Colorado
Originally Posted By: 405wcf
I have killed a grand total of three speed goats, all near Big Timber, MT. There was virtually no sage brush where we were hunting. It was all grass. The pronghorn tasted like veal! Very mild flavor.

I have also taken mule deer in WY where they fed on sage brush and they were nasty.

My guess from the Great Lakes is that sage has something to do with taste. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Just because an antelope eats sagebrush doesn't make it nasty. The care of the meat and choice of shot is what makes it nasty. I've been taking pronghorn my whole life and if you shoot one, don't make a good shot and it runs, you are screwed. If you shoot one that has been running, you are screwed. If you get one down and dress it and then ride around in the back of a truck for hours, you're screwed. Get it down, get it dressed and get it cold.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

#8115794 - 09/30/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: WyColoCowboy]
GreatWaputi Online   content
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Land of liberals, hippies, and...
I'll take antelope over deer any time. Had back strap three nights over the last week and it was excellent, even guys who bad mouth antelope loved it.

#8116583 - 09/30/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: MTGunner]
moosemike Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: PA
All my pronghorn meat has been outstanding table fare.

#8116659 - 09/30/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: moosemike]
Coyote_Hunter Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: 6491 Feet Above Sea Level
Better than deer or elk to my taste buds.

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

#8116898 - 10/01/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: Coyote_Hunter]
Magnum_Man Offline
Campfire Guide

I shot my buck in Hardon Co. SD sat morning 20 minutes or so after sun up dressed him on the spot and walked out to the truck. I put my game cart together and retrieved him, done by 8:30 opening day.I skinned and broke him down back at camp, by 8:00 that nite the meat was less than 50 degrees temp and went into the cooler. I processed him Sunday afternoon when I got home it's only a 2.5-3 hr deal by yourself. Steaks and roasts you can allways cut roasts into something else after you thaw it.Scraps and trim into bulk bags to be ground later.It is about as easy as processing gets, never had one I couldn't eat one way or another.But take care of it just like the others say rfn. Magnum Man

#8117665 - 10/01/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: chlinstructor]
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Kotzebue, AK
I've eaten pronghorn from several others' killings. It has been excellent. I've eaten Mt goat of my own killing - it too has been excellent- nearly the quality of wild sheep. The two species (pronghorn and mt goat) are not related...

IIRC, the mt goat is most closely related to antelope, while the pronghorn is way out there somewhere on it's own...

Like said above, much depends on shot placement, and after-shot care, tho individual animals can vary somewhat.

#8118353 - 10/01/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: las]
rattler Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: NE Montana
Originally Posted By: las
I've eaten pronghorn from several others' killings. It has been excellent. I've eaten Mt goat of my own killing - it too has been excellent- nearly the quality of wild sheep. The two species (pronghorn and mt goat) are not related...

IIRC, the mt goat is most closely related to antelope, while the pronghorn is way out there somewhere on it's own...

Like said above, much depends on shot placement, and after-shot care, tho individual animals can vary somewhat.

goats and sheep are related to bovines and true antelopes

prong horn belong to the same general group but they split off much earlier than the others with no truly close relatives....all of them, sheep, goats, bovines, speed goats, giraffes, deer ect belong to the same Infraorder: Pecora.....

they then split off from there with bovines, sheep and goats going to the family Bovidae and girrafes and speed goats going to their own families of which speedgoats are the last living member of theirs though there used to be a heck of a variety.....same with the girrafe group only the subspecies of girrafes and okapis today but used to be a whole lot....

Edited by rattler (10/01/13)

#8118576 - 10/01/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: rattler]
dtspoke Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Colorado
As stated over and over, care is the key to any game.

We hang ours in a meat locker on the ranch to cool for at least 14 days. For a lot of people it's not possible due to temps, but we are able to do it and it makes a significant difference.

6 days is minimum for us when we dry age otherwise there isn't much point.

#8124061 - 10/03/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: rattler]
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Kotzebue, AK
You are a splitter rather than a lumper, right? smile

Infraorder is waaay back there... family not so much, even if you are the last hold out.

Would that make the pronghorn the "tan and white" "sheep" of their family? smile

#8125090 - 10/03/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: las]
rattler Offline
Campfire Oracle

yeah i tend to split.....but i also think the system is full of issues cause if yah spend any real time dealing with it, ESPECIALLY when you start messing with plants the whole thing starts looking half retarded at the genus level....start messing with orchids and you really start shaking your head alot....

#8125645 - 10/03/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: rattler]
WyoCoyoteHunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Carbon Co. Wyoming
dts, Interesting what you wrote about hanging antelope.. Years ago, I read a piece about hanging game.. They recommended 10-14 days for elk, 5-10 for deer, and after 3 days it made little diff. for antelope.. We have let them hang as little as 2days or as many as 10.. But the jerky was still the same excellent..
We may try a tender loin of antelope this mth. as soon as I take another doe.. The first is already in jerky and about half gone..
My relatives are still here, we just had a tenderloin from my mulie taken this fall, excellent.. My stepson pan fried it.. It will be easy to try the antelope this way.. More later..

#8127019 - 10/04/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: WyoCoyoteHunter]
dtspoke Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Colorado
I'm hoping to get a chance to shoot an antelope in a couple of weeks and I'll try hanging for just two days if I get one.

#8127617 - 10/04/13 Re: Heard tell, that goat- pronghorn is eadible,bearly? [Re: dtspoke]
rattler Offline
Campfire Oracle

Originally Posted By: dtspoke
I'm hoping to get a chance to shoot an antelope in a couple of weeks and I'll try hanging for just two days if I get one.

in theory, hanging speed goats shouldnt do much cause they dont have near as much of the connective tissue in their muscle that needs broken down like beef does....believe one of the Wyoming Universities did a scientific study on this awhile back.....that said if your temps are ok to do it it sure aint gonna hurt....

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SAVINGS on VORTEX OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT PRICES on LEUPOLD OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Who's Online
496 registered (1beaver_shooter, 17_wizzer, 01Foreman400, 204guy, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 939 Guests and 291 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,266 Registered Members
72 Forums
687,498 Topics
9,930,888 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.