-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had some damn good lopenchiladas yesterday.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
kawi give up the dope.................you are as bad as gus.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Favorite way is take a 1.5" pronghorn backstrap steak(aka boneless New York) and grill it 3 minutes per side at 450F.

Let it set under tinfoil for a minute or two then devour.

I like a little spicy salt with it, or not.

So good.

So tender I sometimes forget to properly chew and about choke out sometimes......grin

I hear ya! Usually bread ours, but basically the same deal. So tender and mild. Delicious!

If I was on Death Row, I would request pronghorn backstrap as my last meal, that's how much I like it.
Breaded then grilled? Mind expounding a bit? I have a few in the freezer awaiting and am interested in something new.

Dip in egg, roll in flour, throw in hot pan with lots of oil.
Thanks! That's what I was thinking, but was thinking you were grilling them, which I was unfamiliar with. Might put that on this weekends menu! I prefer uncomplicated as well, since the 'fancier' I try to cook the worse the results seem to be...

C
ckr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
First time for 'lopes this year and I paid close attention to all the edibility or lack thereof comments I heard. Two guys at work assured me it didn't matter what I did, they would be entirely unfit to eat. Process all our own deer and I'm very particular about game care so I actually wasn't too worried.. We shot 3 buck 'lopes openeing day and each was skinned, 1/4ered and on ice within 2 hours of death. They spent the next 5.5 days in a coooler iced down until they were processed and frozen. Waiting for my oldest daughter to come home from college for the weekend to do some chops on the grill but had to try some sooner. Put a 2# pack of lowly stew meat in crockpot yesterday with some chicken broth, stewed tomatoes and misc. spices. Served over noodles (rice for the wife) and all agreed it was good stuff. Good enough that the wife took the leftovers for lunch today. If it wasn't so good I'd give some to the naysayers to prove them wrong. Figured it best to leave them with their ill thoughts so there's more for the rest of us.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
as i said before most those that say speed goats are inedible leave them bouncing around in the back of the truck all day or weekend, usually on a warm day(try this with beef and see how it tastes crazy ) or they take it to a bulk processor and dont necessarily get their goat back if they did take care of it.....

Last edited by rattler; 10/10/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by rattler
as i said before most those that say speed goats are inedible leave them bouncing around in the back of the truck all day or weekend, usually on a warm day(try this with beef and see how it tastes crazy ) or they take it to a bulk processor and dont necessarily get their goat back if they did take care of it.....

+1 I went out yesterday and shot my buck....undisturbed and had him at the processer in <2 hours from the kill. Got the hide off quickly and had him cooling fast. Everyone I've handled this way has been excellent. I pass on opening weekend on public land because everyone is driving around running them to death. Yesterday I had the country to myself......15minutes from the house.

C
ckr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
rattler - I've always said the same in regard to people that claim to not like venison. Here in NW PA, they'll shoot a deer, rip about 1/2 of its guts out, drive around for 1/2 a day to show everyone their prize and then hang it in a tree for a week in temps between 0 and 70 degrees and proclaim that venison is barely fit to eat. Thinking beef might be a bit gamey too handled like that!

Would really enjoy hunting out there later in the season with no folks and unpressured critters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the other thing i run into with people that dont like venison is they cant stand anything but well done and you can grill venison to well done WITHOUT it turning to liver tasting shoe leather but you need to cut the steaks real thin.....my wife is a wuss and cant stand any pink in her steak so when we are butchering we cut a portion of the steaks thinner than the rest and those are hers which can be grilled to well done and still keep them halfway juicy.....the girls and i like medium rare so we dont have this problem....

but if you have someone in the family that insists on their grilled or fried steaks being well done just cut them thin and the flavor improves dramatically.....

Last edited by rattler; 10/10/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
ckr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Good tip but thankfully the wife and both my girls enjoy theirs with a nice puddle of blood left as juice for the potatoes.

An overcooked piece of venison can be some rough stuff.

Always keep a few clean roast type hunks out for chipped steak. Put it on the meat slicer to shave as thin as possible while still partially frozen. This gets cooked to well done in skillet with seasoning, olive oil, peppers and onions but still turns out tender. A little horseradish sauce and you're looking at a sandwhich you can't buy at any price. Some of this stuff makes 'ya feel bad for folks who don't like venison.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I just had some backstrap from my first pronghorn, and it might just be my favorite wild game. Fork-tender, I think I'll go fry up some more.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by las
I've eaten pronghorn from several others' killings. It has been excellent. I've eaten Mt goat of my own killing - it too has been excellent- nearly the quality of wild sheep. The two species (pronghorn and mt goat) are not related...

IIRC, the mt goat is most closely related to antelope, while the pronghorn is way out there somewhere on it's own...

Like said above, much depends on shot placement, and after-shot care, tho individual animals can vary somewhat.

goats and sheep are related to bovines and true antelopes

prong horn belong to the same general group but they split off much earlier than the others with no truly close relatives....all of them, sheep, goats, bovines, speed goats, giraffes, deer ect belong to the same Infraorder: Pecora.....

they then split off from there with bovines, sheep and goats going to the family Bovidae and girrafes and speed goats going to their own families of which speedgoats are the last living member of theirs though there used to be a heck of a variety.....same with the girrafe group only the subspecies of girrafes and okapis today but used to be a whole lot....

Hmmm, now if giraffe were to taste like a good antelope.......

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

For sure. That goes for deer, also.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by las
I've eaten pronghorn from several others' killings. It has been excellent. I've eaten Mt goat of my own killing - it too has been excellent- nearly the quality of wild sheep. The two species (pronghorn and mt goat) are not related...

IIRC, the mt goat is most closely related to antelope, while the pronghorn is way out there somewhere on it's own...

Like said above, much depends on shot placement, and after-shot care, tho individual animals can vary somewhat.

goats and sheep are related to bovines and true antelopes

prong horn belong to the same general group but they split off much earlier than the others with no truly close relatives....all of them, sheep, goats, bovines, speed goats, giraffes, deer ect belong to the same Infraorder: Pecora.....

they then split off from there with bovines, sheep and goats going to the family Bovidae and girrafes and speed goats going to their own families of which speedgoats are the last living member of theirs though there used to be a heck of a variety.....same with the girrafe group only the subspecies of girrafes and okapis today but used to be a whole lot....

Hmmm, now if giraffe were to taste like a good antelope.......
That'd be a LOT of tasty neck roast!!! laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eyeball

For sure. That goes for deer, also.

true but you often get away with it more with deer cause the hunts are often later in the year and its colder so much of the meat cools down in the back of the truck anyway.....especially around here wheremost the speed goat hunting is the first part of October and most deer hunting is in November...often a big difference in day time temps when it comes to the meat.....

K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
BOOWAA A girrfe neck in the ground. Things neaded a backhoe with sober operator( the trench has to be strait) tinfoil enough to blind a jetliner on a sunny day and buckets of goodies. VS goats that require 10' of nose to tail prime goat a somewhat sober backhoe operator(the trench need not be so strait) and buckets of goodies. Close but not. Grin. Please be safe and have fun Kawi!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
An old friend of my was out here a couple years ago, and shot two doe antelope.. He took them home and fed them to his gun club during the annual wild game dinner.. He said they were the hit of the evening..
The little steak we had at breakfast the other morning was the first antelope stk. I have eaten in 40 years.. When I drew my first tag, my wife and I ate it that fall.. But one of the guys I worked with made his into jerky.. It was excellent.. So the next fall that is what we did with it.. That has been the way we did things all these years.. We hunted antelope first.. Made jerky as quickly as possible, then hunted deer and elk for the freezer. It is good, but it also makes the very best jerky of the three local big game animals.. I still have my buck hanging in the shed.. Will cut him up tomorrow probably..
Most of my game is hung skinned, and cooling in the shed within minutes of being shot.. Especially antelope.. Deer some times we have to drive aways, or skin it in the mts. if we are hunting else where.. Elk usually are skinned as soon as I can get them hung.. If they have to be brought out the next day, then they are skinned as soon as I get them hung up..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is #25 for me, and the best eating of all, and the first 24 were excellent. One of them was ancient, too. Sage has nothing to do with the meat's flavor, IMO.

[Linked Image]

It's all in being clean and careful with how they're handled; gut & skin as they are falling to the ground, and Don't get much hair on the meat.

Also, the hairs have a cavity full of a lanolin like oil that is extremely pungent. If you cut a lot in half and get them on your hands you'll taint the meat badly. I carry water and paw-wipes to clean up as I work the carcass.

Those who don't take this care never like antelope. whistle whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Sage has nothing to do with the meat's flavor, IMO.

I agree with you on that. I've shot them off hay/sage/greesewood. If taken care of it tastes like pronghorn, damn good.

C
ckr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Last comment on the post - had chops from the first 'lopes we've shot or eaten last night. Sorry we only have 3 in the freezer. We'll have no trouble eating them all in short order. Tender and more mild than our farm fed venison. The naysayers are obviously doing something terribly wrong.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
if taken care of properly it is some of the best wild game meat....if treated poorly it is some of the worst.....get the critter skinned and the meat in a cooler ASAP and it is outstanding....let the critter bounce around in the back of the pickup all day, especially on the typical warm day of speed goat hunting weather and sometimes dogs wont eat it crazy

IMO that applies to about any game animal.
Antelope is probably my favorite game meat of all.

Bill

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.