Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Does any one here know about the company and about their firearms.

I have been looking at their 45 90 for quite some time now but before I spend the money I would like to know more about them.

Any advice would be appreciated

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Funshooter

See above thread on 475 Turnbull, mines a 50-110 WCF built by Turnbull, it's flawless and very accurate, I'll go bring it TTT.

Gunner

Trump Won!
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thanks gunner500
I am a little afraid of what I might do to myself with the 50-110. I like the heavy recoil but some times it doesn't like me and I think that the 45-90 would do anything I would ever want to do. I have a 10 Ga. Blunderbuss that I built about 18 years ago and back then I was all Grissel at 120 Lbs.. With 80 grs. of 2FF and (2) .760 patched balls in it it would slide me back a full step wearing moccasins. I am over 200 Lbs. now and I can take the recoil but black powder and smokeless are different animals. I guess I am just a wimp to try the 50-110.

Some day I would like to shoot one just to see how it is

Your pictures on the other post are beautiful one He!! of a nice looking Rifle.

Thanks for the redirection I have read that post before and forgot that it was there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that they may have been mentioned in Rifle and/or Handloader at some point in time. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by funshooter
Thanks gunner500
I am a little afraid of what I might do to myself with the 50-110. I like the heavy recoil but some times it doesn't like me and I think that the 45-90 would do anything I would ever want to do. I have a 10 Ga. Blunderbuss that I built about 18 years ago and back then I was all Grissel at 120 Lbs.. With 80 grs. of 2FF and (2) .760 patched balls in it it would slide me back a full step wearing moccasins. I am over 200 Lbs. now and I can take the recoil but black powder and smokeless are different animals. I guess I am just a wimp to try the 50-110.

Some day I would like to shoot one just to see how it is

Your pictures on the other post are beautiful one He!! of a nice looking Rifle.

Thanks for the redirection I have read that post before and forgot that it was there.

Your welcome Funshooter, I drug up the old post so you could see a bit of Turnbulls work, the 45-90 your asking about will do all a man could ever wanna do with a lever action rifle.

The 50-110's recoil is a bit brisk but not overly punishing, good luck on your choice.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B2

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I think a 45/90 is far more practical than 50/110, 475 Turnbull or 450 Alaskan. Originally the 45/90 was an express cartridge and a lot of the 1886's in this caliber had a slow twist for light bullets over heavy doses of BP. Just make sure you get one with a twist fast enough to stabilize the longest bullet you are likely to use. The other factor is to make sure you get it in the right configuration. 1886's came in a wide variety of barrel /magazine/ grip/ buttstock configurations which can affect handling if you intend to hunt with it.

Last edited by JFE; 10/13/13.
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Another Question

I am getting closer in ordering the rifle and Turnbull has been great in answering my questions.
I know that if I load this rifle up hot that it will blast the Bajesus out of my shoulder.
Do any of you guys have any experience with the Mercury recoil reducers.
If so do they work and if they work should I have Turnbull install two of them when they build the rifle.

Any advice?

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I have a .475 Turnbull on a Browning 71 conversion. The pad is a Limbsaver, and cuts the recoil down to "managable" from the bench, or berm. If you are going straight steel cresent plate, I think it's going get your attention...

If you are going to carry the rifle, I'd pass on the added weight, and invest in a quality recoil pad.

The shop is 15 minutes away from my in-laws house, if you are ever the area, it's fully worth the time to stop by. They are just helpful and friendly in-person, and you may get to see some really cool projects.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I was already thinking of the shotgun stock with the recoil pad but I am wondering as I get older (I am already in my mid 50s) that it may be nice to have some added help.
Is the added weight that much more.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Not sure which model they use, but most of them start at 8 ounces, and go up to 16 ounces in weight.

So, for two, you are looking at adding one pound minumum, and potentially two additional pounds for a finished rifle.

The rifle comes at ~8.5 pounds as stock, this would push up to ~10 pounds, and more fully loaded. Just sayin...could get a bit tiring at the end of a long day.

I bought my rifle out of a shop in California in GB. The rifle was breaked with a long secondary added break, fiber optic front sight, 2/3 magazine, pistol grip, and listed as having a repaired "chip" in the butt stock. Reality, it was a "chunk" in the wrist that was glued and repaired, done well, but a bigger repair than listed. I didn't want the break, so I had the Turnbull team cut the barrel back and remove it. The barrel is now 24 inches and bit IIRC. The front sling swivel was gone, so I had a one installed by Turnbull, for very reasonable cost.

This is pre-break removal, and the add of the front swivel stud:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/12/13.
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
That is pretty bad looking

I want a more traditional look and rifle hence the 45-90 and not the 475.

Thanks for the input I have a lot to take in before I take the plunge and order it

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I'd say it's a wiser caliber choice than mine...while I like the .475, it's a niche caliber with very limited supplies of components for reloading.

I was in the shop two weeks ago, no .475 bullets, no brass, no prediction of when they would see any.

Regardless of what you choose, the rifle will be a long time quality investment, and a significant treasure to the next generation in your family.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our local shop had a Turnball 45-90 on the shelf for a couple months. Excellent fit and finish but not quite as well done as a Shiloh. If I had the disposable income handy, I would have taken it home. Given it's heft, I don't think it would be a heavy kicker until one maybe loaded up some 540 to 545 grain slugs. With something like the 405 Gov bullets, it would be quite pleasant to shoot.

I have a 45-90 Sharps, but it weighs around 15 lbs. I'm still working my way through a first firing on a couple hundred rounds of brass, and recoil is not an issue. I'll probably be able to get a bit more powder in though after these cartridges have been blown out to fit the chamber.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/12/13.

1Minute
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
A sharps is on my bucket list as well as many others but Right now I really like the cowboy levers and the 45-90 seems to be an all round choice for a big bore.

Load it up , Load it down for what ever the purpose will be.

The 50-110 seems a little much for an all round caliber to me.

I already have a Henry 22LR , Marlin 44Mag and Marlin 30 30 (love shooting them) and I am looking for something with a little more umf behind it as well as the investment in a Quality Firearm I have a safe full the cheap stuff it is time to move up. I have been looking for a while and Turnbull seems to meet the bill.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Well I just ordered a 45-90WCF with a shotgun style stock with the recoil pad. Turnbull told me that they have about a 1 year turn around.
I wimped out on the 50-110 I will have to see how this fires before I get into the big boys.

This will be my first true Big Bore. I already have a 44 mag Marlin but I do not think that it has the true Big Bore punch behind it. The 45-90 should be fun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
how does the 50-110 compare to the 50 Alaskan? in those rifles ?
are the velocities ,are the bullet weights and twist rates used the same, in those rifles.

yes I,m aware the 50 Alaskan wild cat is supposed to provide a significant power upgrade, but it has a shorter and slightly fatter case

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_Alaskan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50-110_Winchester

Last edited by 340mag; 01/13/14.
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I just picked up some brass for the 45-90 WCF.
Turnbull told me that their rifles are designed around the 300gr range but they can and do handle the heavy slugs very well

I have been looking at Die sets and I like RCBS dies. they are what I have the most experience. I do not know if Dillon makes the die yet I emailed the question in to them with no reply yet.

If Dillon does not make the dies. What would you guys suggest would be my best bet.

The RCBS dies for the 45-90 WCF are about $179.00 that is a bit steep for my taste

Could I use the 45-90 Sharps Straight dies. They are much cheaper than the WCF dies.

Thanks for all of your help answering questions for everyone on the Fire.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Dillon just got back to me and they said that they do not make the 45-90 dies.

What dies to you guys like the best or should I just bite the bullet and buy the RCBS dies.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Just got a call from Turnbull today.
Put the deposit down and in about 3 months I may have it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats, I have a 92 in 45 LC and 86 in 45/70 from turnbull. They shoot as good as they look.

I missed out on their run of 38/40s, wish I would've snatched one up to go with my Colt SAA.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

313 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.