Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Last week I recieved a new Blued Henry 30-30 that my local dealer had ordered.

The good news is that the gun had very nice external fit and finish as well as walnut worthy of a very fine custom rifle.

The bad news is the gun has multiple major issues with regard to function.

Firstly, it is inposible to sight in the rifle with factory ammo. The point of impact is about six inches high at fifty yards with the rear sight in its lowest position. The Front sight is not dovetailed and can not be removed or replaced with anything higher.

Secondly,the magazine tube is very difficult to load with more than two cartriges,it keeps sticking,and is an abortion in form and function.

Thirdly,frequent failures to feed from the magazine,in fact the gun is currently hopelessly jammed with the lever open and a 30-30 cartridge stuck in the action.

Fourth,the lever often pops open after the action has been cycled,in a Marlin,savage,or winchester this can be fixed by closing the lever,but the Henry can not be reclosed once it has been opened half a milimeter. This design prevents checking to see if the chamber is loaded,and in concert with the propensity to pop open and the faulty magazine tube renders the gun virtually imposible to funtion.

In short,the Henry looks like a nice lever action 30-30,but seems to have more design and manufacturing flaws than any rifle in it's price range that I've had the misfortune to experience.

Buy a used Marlin,or even a decent muzzleloader,either would be a lot more useful than one of these things.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 10/10/13.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Cerebrus strikes again. Gotta love them Freedom Grope mofos.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I don't know who owns Henry,but if they are yet another Cerberus takeover,then it does sort of fit the pattern.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hate to hear that doc, I miss Marlin so bad! See my sig line!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have several Henry rimfires that have been flawless but have no experience with their centerfires.

I have heard nothing but positive things about their customer service from several people, both in person and online, so I would give that a shot.

I am sure that they will sort out the issues you are having, and do it quickly.

Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway.
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've been going with the pre safety Marlins with the "JM" proof mark. What about the Mossberg 464? I have not heard anything about them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pre-2010 Marlins are usually a safe bet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doc, thanks for the post. at the moment I am without a 30-30 and was looking at henry. now i'll just look for a Winnie or a marlin. to old to deal with those kinds of problems. ps Henry is a family owned co in Bayonne (sp?)New Jersey.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Send it back. They will make it right

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Don't tell us, tell THEM. Henry has a good rep for customer service, give them a chance to fix it.

Then, if it comes back all fouled up, THEN it would be a good time to rant.

For the record, I don't own a single Henry, and have no plans to buy one.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Cerebrus strikes again. Gotta love them Freedom Grope mofos.

They aren't involved in Henry...

μολὼν λαβέ
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sell it!!!!!!!

Not here-the word is out on this gun.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Don't tell us, tell THEM. Henry has a good rep for customer service, give them a chance to fix it.

Then, if it comes back all fouled up, THEN it would be a good time to rant.

For the record, I don't own a single Henry, and have no plans to buy one.

I don't look to buy anything with the notion that customer service will make it right; I want it to work correctly from the start. I appreciate hearing about products that do not provide this.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first impression of a Henry goes back several years, to their original lever action 22. And it hasn't changed much since then.

Considered them to be junk then and the only slight adjustment I've made since, concerns the one I was given as an award a few years ago. It looks okay, shoots much better than I would've thought and since it was a heart-felt tribute to my awesomeness, guess I'll keep it?

grin

Would I ever buy a 30-30 Henry? Hell no, times a bazillion. Too many nice, used Marlin 336s and M94s around. I've seen several nice Marlins lately in shops, for $350 or a bit less.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've only seen their advertisements about being USA made,
and I suppose that "should" mean quality.

These issues from the OP are significant, and are a large
concern.

I do hope some satisfied users of the Henry chime in, do they
only make levers?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IMR4350
I've been going with the pre safety Marlins with the "JM" proof mark. What about the Mossberg 464? I have not heard anything about them.

That would be one I would entertain a thought of. Like you, I've not heard too much about them, which may be good. You tend to hear a lot more reports on negative issues than when something is working like it should.

I sure do miss having the old Marlins and Winchesters sitting on the rack at the store. It almost seems like an era has passed.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I sure do miss having the old Marlins and Winchesters sitting on the rack at the store. It almost seems like an era has passed.
It sure does. I never would have guessed the '94 Winchester would be gone in my lifetime. When I was a kid, everyplace that sold rifles had 94's on the shelf and they were still very popular with local deer hunters. My first deer rifle was a 94. I still have two and would never part with them.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
LGS around the corner has a 45/70 that he just got in. Price a little on the high side more then a Marlin. Now that I read this thread would not even consider one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first one was a '94 also, and I use it to this day.

It was 1970, I was 13, wanted to go deer hunting, and asked my father to take me. He said he would but didn't have a rifle. I had worked hard for the last couple of years delivering papers and cutting grass, so I had some money.

I went down to the local Sporting goods store, picked out two M94s and told the man I'd be back soon with my mother because she had to sign for them. Took them home, handed him one and told him "Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas, whatever you want to call it, but let's go hunting".

Both are still in my safe, and mine, as I said earlier, goes every year.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Vic:

Now that is a very nice story, and I hope others can say
the same thing some day. Those were the days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,853 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,177
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.