-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
White Karo is a treat on pancakes, don't have it much but man is a good!

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Twin,
you beat me to it. Any comparison with Maple has to include the diff. grades.
An early run light amber is always something I look for to have a small bottle of around for a splash on icecream or w something that just a hint of maple is needed. Good Dark makes a real statement on the table. Put some of that in your sausage and smoke it!
I read the post a while back about the Cane and have not found a jar yet.
Will gladly give it a go. My kids love the homemade biscuits out of the food thread a while back.
Made syrup on my own all thru my school years. A true rite of spring where I came from. My old micro rig never had the ability to get a run of light amber. I always fell beck on my mentors commercial size operation to find that. Not every spring has the right weather to produce a good early run.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Waaaayyy back in the stone ages when I wuz young, we had a cooker going to make syrup. Threw the skimmings onto the snow and ate that!! Awesome!!! Dark Amber is sooo good that I ONLY provide it to the best of my friends. OTW, they get medium or light as I am very greedy in this respct. EXCEPT, when I get a 10 ouncer of dark, I am sending it to FlyboyFlem and his Hunney cuz THEY rate!!! grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sse
I have never had 'steens cane syrup', might look around for it in a skeptical kind of way.
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
� I read the post a while back about the Cane and have not found a jar yet.
Will gladly give it a go. �

Two good sources �
http://www.fainshoney.com/ sells pure cane syrup too.
http://www.steensyrup.com/

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I made truckloads of maple syrup growing up. Prefer that to anything. None of that Log Cabin crap or corn syrup infused nonsense. Of course...JMO.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use Vermont Maple Syrup. Here's the guide. I like fancy but I take what ever I can get.

http://vermontmaple.org/maple-products/maple-syrup/?doing_wp_cron=1375136337.1565229892730712890625

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was raised on sorghum molasses and as far as I know never ate any sugar cane syrup. How do they compare. I like sorghum but a lot of people don't. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
The experts being my 11 and 12 yo stepsons. No school today so the boys wanted eggs, bacon and waffles to celebrate. I got out the Steen's Cane syrup that I bought online after a recent thread here. I wanted to see what had all you Southern boys so excited. The boys tried some on their waffles, said they really liked it, now can they have their maple syrup. I tried it, I really like it. I probably don't like it quite as much as maple syrup, but maybe that's just regional loyalty. IMO it's the only kind of pancake syrup I've ever tried that's even on the same planet with real maple syrup. I guess we'll continue to keep some around.

I growed up so far back in the woods, I didnt know they made maple syrup until I was a teenager. Never heard of getting syrup from a tree, except sweet gum syrup and I never like it!

Of course, even as late as 20 years ago they didnt sell real maple syrup in this part of the country. That a johnny-come-lately product down here.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
I was raised on sorghum molasses and as far as I know never ate any sugar cane syrup. How do they compare. I like sorghum but a lot of people don't. miles

Having assiduously shunned sorghum molasses for lo! these many decades, I haven't tasted any recently enough to try to describe how it's different from good, pure, uncut ribbon-cane syrup � except to say, in very general terms, that I remember sorghum as somewhat coarser and stronger. IIRC, sorghum is cane, but it's not the much tastier ribbon cane.

Try some good ribbon-cane syrup from Fain's or Steen's [links above], and run your own taste tests. That syrup that I provided at the last two Quemado Campfire bashes was Steen's. Did you try any of it? (The stuff in the yellow cans, not the yukky cane-and-corn-syrup stuff made from rewatered sugar, in the plastic store bottles.)

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I stand corrected � just looked it up � sorghum is a grass, a relative of Johnson grass (and contains a tad of cyanide � enough in its early growth to be fatal).

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
I stand corrected � just looked it up � sorghum is a grass, a relative of Johnson grass (and contains a tad of cyanide � enough in its early growth to be fatal).

Beat me to it! Sorghum and cane are two entirely different plants!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well my first choice for pancakes and waffles is Maple Syrup, with a pat or two of butter. My second choice would be Honey. I never had any of the cane syrup that you are all talking about, it must be a southern thing. I just will have to get some and just try it. There is quite a bit of Maple Syrup making where I live. Its a common thing, not quite as well known as Vermont but CT dose produce quite a bit in recent years. Its a very labor intensive thing. But its also a fun thing to do for the 4 to 6 weeks that the sap runs.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton

The overall taste is somewhat similar, but sorghum syrup is quite a bit stronger and the color is darker, at least all I've ever seen, than ribbon cane syrup.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That syrup that I provided at the last two Quemado Campfire bashes was Steen's. Did you try any of it?

I did not try it or even see it, but I was busy talking a lot of the time. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Maple is for syrup !!! Sugar cane is for making "RUM" !!!!! grin grin

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
Dark amber maple syrup for me too!! Those Eastern Woodland Indians knew what they were doing.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Dark amber is know as grade "B" we didn't make much this year most was medium amber. Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cane syrup here. wink

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Everything we ran was lighter than normal this year. No complaints, though grin

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
There were syrup mills in the '50s in the local area,sorghum and cane. Mom & Pop corner groceries carried sugar cane stalks during the season for $0.10 each. I stripped many a stalk one section at a time and chewed the sweet juice out of them as candy.

Noticed for the first time as I drove to the rifle range this morning, there was a side road named Syrup Mill road.

I like sorghum, ribbon cane , and maple syrup. I'm suspicious of the Maple Syrup we get down here. Seems very thin(watery). Does real Maple syrup soak into the waffles/pancakes?

Last edited by websterparish47; 10/12/13.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 57 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.