Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Guys:

I have a BUL 12. Bot it for long slogs Out West and late season grouse here in Michigan. Decent, tho not ideal, for informal target games too. LUV that BUL 12. Nolo problemo ever.

Just sold a gun I was not using and now have some gun money rattling around. Intrigued by the BUL 20. A few guys at the club have them. Must be selling, my local Benelli dealer has had them on BO for months. Plenty of 12s around but no 20s.

The Franchi 48 AL 20 was the lightest 20 Ga auto for many years. Great gun but the safety is not reversible to LH. No LH safety available from Franchi or anybody else either. I'm a lefty and have struggled under this impediment with both shotguns and rifles for many years. The BUL safety is excellent, available for either RH or LH.

Anybody have a BUL 20? Just how light is too light? Thoughts? Thanks.

NB

Last edited by Natty_Bumpo; 08/16/13.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
All I can say is, if you find one buy it. One of the nicest guns you can carry, and the 20 is plenty for most upland hunting within reasonable shotgun range. With 2 3/4 shells the kick is no big deal, although I've never fired 3" out of mine. I believe there are a few on gunbroker.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I say you checkout a BUL in 28ga. I handled one at cabelas and blew my mind. I'd handled both the 12 and 20ga, the 28ga made them feel like boat anchors.

It felt every bit of 4.9lbs....amazing. Shouldered great. I think it will be the next gun I buy.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not to turn this into a "caliber" debate, but I haven't warmed up to the 28. Had an o/u and sold it. Recoil was about the same as a 20, ammo expensive, and IMO less versatility. So for me I'm sticking with 20s and 12s. However if you want THE lightest gun, then the BUL 28 is the ticket.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 20 Ga untralite is a fabulous gun....shoots the 3" hulls too if one likes....but for upland hunting there are a few 2 3/4" loads that are totally adequate......1 Oz of #6 lead shot at 1300 F/S is quite adequate for any pheasant I've come across so far. One can make this load using federal target cases and some IMR 800-X but IMO one needs to weigh all the charges individually as 800-X doesn't meter worth a basket full of sour owl spit.

I will admit that it took a bit to get used to such a light gun and the recoil with 3" loads might be uncomfortable for some as it can offer a strong jab on the shoulder.....but with duck hunting clothes it just might be tolerable.

It's a dream to carry and that says a lot about it.

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
UPDATE:

Wanted to update this thread. BUL 20s are in very short supply nationally. My local guy is a pretty big Benelli dealer, didn't have one and couldn't get one in the forseeable future.

I was looking for one very lightly used. Thanks to a 24HCF member, I was able to get one even better that that. 'FIRE member "JMILLO" from CT, PMed me re a "Benelli" FS on another board along with a couple of custom rifles. Turned out to be a ANIB BUL 20, never fired, a couple of years old. It was all there, plastic bags for shim kit, etc etc never opened.

Got the safety reversed to LH, shims installed for cast on and less drop, etc yesterday. Had some kind of funky "Gawd Awfull" long orange glow contraption glued onto the carbon fiber rib behind the standard front sight. That thing promptly went in the garbage. Ordered an extra choke from Trulock this morning.

Hope to blood the new BUL 20 on grouse/wc tomorrow morning.

'Fire guys rock, jmillos name is going up on the GGL forthwith. smile

NRA Life Member
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I picked up a BUL 20 mid-dove season. The specs are one thing but it's so well balanced and points/shoots so well, you really have to try one to fully understand just how incredible they really are....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
UPDATE II:

So finally the leaves have started to fall here in NW Lower and the morning temps are in the 40's. The new BUL 20 has been duly blooded on both grouse/wc this past week. This is close cover shooting and its lightning fast to the target. I can carry it in one hand while crawling through the thick and nasty places where the birds are. I shoot it well with very little practice at the range. LUV the new little Benelli!

NB

NRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JWP58
I say you checkout a BUL in 28ga. I handled one at cabelas and blew my mind. I'd handled both the 12 and 20ga, the 28ga made them feel like boat anchors.

It felt every bit of 4.9lbs....amazing. Shouldered great. I think it will be the next gun I buy.

I love the 28 ga and wish Benelli offered the Ultra Light Weight 28 ga in LH. Until then i will stick with my Beretta 686 28 GA O&U

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Enjoy your new Benelli! You will really come to appreciate its light weight.

I have been using my Benelli Legacy 28 ga. on pheasants, while working with my 10 MO Lab pup. I continue to be amazed at how well it does its job, and at 5 lb., it is a real joy to carry.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
123 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.