Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
In the November 2013 American Rifleman reports on the NEW 1873 Winchester. The only caliber for now is the .357 mag/.38 Special. Seems they have kept the original as much as possible. They alter the cartridge carrier so that the empties don't bop the shooter in the face as the originals were prone to do although I never had that problem. They were able to keep the original safety so there is no cross bolt or tang safety.

I don't plan on buying one but has anybody bought and used one?

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If they offered it with a 24" barrel and/or in .32-20 I might be tempted.

I said "might".

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I think if the new Model 73 works they will add more calibers and probably barrel lengths. The article did hint at the possibility of 44-40.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good looking gun. Too pricy but a good looking gun.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Plinker

Yes, but it's a real Winchester, not a clone.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by Plinker

Yes, but it's a real Winchester, not a clone.

This is my "real Winchester". Made in USA, too. smile

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by KR13
[Linked Image]

Makes me queasy

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Unfortunately all the Winchester lever actions are made at Miroku. Fontunately they usually do a pretty good job.

The only reason you might not call it a clone is because it is made for Winchester. I would call it a clone though.

The wood I have seen in pictures on the 73 looks pretty poor. How is it in person?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yeah, they (Miroku) do a good job....and they should for the price. But something I don't get. Shooters bitched and complained about the quality of Winchesters made in New Haven Conn but now fawn over these oriental imports at almost 3X the price. A "Miro-chester" Model '94 MSRP $1200 vs one made in the USA (2007)with a MSRP of <$500??? I'll be GDed if I'll own a classic, no make that historic, Winchester rifle made in a country where the workers making 'em can't even own one.
Okay, I've had a couple toddies and got my dander up. Carry on.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Supposedly it's suppose to have Winchester on there some where. If not than it is a clone and we can't trust anybody any more.

Last edited by derby_dude; 10/24/13.

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tmitch
Yeah, they (Miroku) do a good job....and they should for the price. But something I don't get. Shooters bitched and complained about the quality of Winchesters made in New Haven Conn but now fawn over these oriental imports at almost 3X the price. A "Miro-chester" Model '94 MSRP $1200 vs one made in the USA (2007)with a MSRP of <$500??? I'll be GDed if I'll own a classic, no make that historic, Winchester rifle made in a country where the workers making 'em can't even own one.
Okay, I've had a couple toddies and got my dander up. Carry on.
Laughing, thought the same thing! You beat me to it!

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Supposedly it's suppose to have Winchester on there some where. If not than it is a clone and we can't trust anybody any more.
It does. On the other side. Just kind of rubs me the wrong way that winchester decided to have an American classic made in Japan. They do good work but it still seems wrong.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm guessing that Connecticut and the unions drove Winchester out of business. Now Olin which owns the Winchester brand license the outfit out of Utah to make and sell Winchester.

Connecticut is the last place I'd want to manufacture guns.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Herstal Group owns FN, Browning & USRAC, lots of stuff gets swapped between them.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Has anybody noticed that most of our former big gun companies are now own by private equity firms.

Apparently, Olin still owns the Winchester brand. Anybody can make a Model 1873 but only Olin can license you to put the Winchester name on it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes, consolidation has gained a great deal of momentum the last few years. Personally I doubt it is a good thing.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Yes, consolidation has gained a great deal of momentum the last few years. Personally I doubt it is a good thing.

I doubt it is a good thing either.

We have a lot of gun manufacturers here in Montana a few were located on the East coast and in gun control states. It didn't take those manufacturers long to locate some wheres else. Those smart manufacturers moved decades ago. The others should have been smart enough to fallow suit.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Miroku makes a nice looking 1873 clone, have made many fine guns for years. This to me is not a Winchester it's an import/clone. I don't think Winchester could bring back (and produce themselves) the 1873 at a price that anyone could afford. I have a Navy Arms 24 inch 45 Colt with an octagon barrel and a color case receiver that is very tight and shoots very well. The only problem I had with it was shooting 275 gr SAA boolits faster than normal which caused the mag tube to walk out some. I fixed this by rethreading the mag plug and making a larger diameter screw and making the indention in the bottom of the barrel flat bottomed where it seats so it wouldn't walk out. Has held up fine for many rounds so far.

Steve.........

Last edited by se3388; 10/26/13.

GOA Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The more I think about this Steve the more I think you are right. The only thing that makes this a Winchester is the trademark. The Winchester company itself no longer exist. Only item Olin owns is the Winchester trademark and Olin license manufactures to put the Winchester trademark on products.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
493 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.