Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every serious big game rifle I have is a CRF winchester

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have a .223, a savage 11 in .243, a savage 10 in 7mm-08, and a marlin 30-30. I do not have any scopes that are worth anything

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a bit confused on the direction of this thread now.

Is your question " what scope should I buy" ?

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Well that crf and your leupold comes out to $1300. So your telling me I need to raise my budget $100 to be able to afford to hunt Africa? You said im hunting 2 countries, What 2 countries am I hunting?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Savage88
I will be hunting in S. Africa and Namiba.

I think he's reading what you wrote.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The scope is also in the same boat as the rifle. I can not buy a scope just for Africa, then buy one just for target shooting at longer ranges. I just cant afford to do that nor do i want to. That VX-3 you mentioned is a very nice scope for shorter ranges than i want to be able to shoot and larger animals. But i want something that is a little more powerful for the farther shots and/or smaller game and something with the features i mentioned before. I thought that vortex was a good all around scope since it is only .5 more powerful at its lowest but also is 6 settings more powerful at its highest setting. And not to mention, its about the same price as your Leupold.

look at the Meopta line. A lot of scope for the money and real quality all the way.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hack: In my old line of work it's time to punch out some chaff & flares, unload the airplane cobb on all the power and knots she'll give you, extend distance and GTF out of Dodge!....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jorge, I cannot even type on this iPhone I'm laughing so hard I cannot hold it steady!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Savage88:

My wife and I have been going to Namibia every year for the past eight years. I've also completed the RSA PH course a couple of years ago.

You already have 7-08 and as long as all you are after is PG, you shoot it well and load it with heavy for caliber TSXs as fast as you can push them, in my opinion you have all the rifle you really "need". My PH friend has a "loaner" in 7x57 that has taken everything up to Eland.

If you want to get a better scope, you can find used Leupolds on Ebay for half the price of new all day long. As far as magnification goes, there are not many people that can shoot well off of sticks with much more than over 4x power. With a little practice you can learn to shoot with both eyes open on 2x for close-in thick brush. You can find a good used Leupold VX-II for under $250 or a 2-7 Leupold Rifleman for around $175. When it comes in, you send it off to Leupold to have it checked out ($10 shipping) and it comes back in a few weeks good as new and if was seriously screwed up they ship you a brand new one.

If you're dead set on a new rifle think about a CZ550 in 9.3x62. You can find them brand new on Gunbroker for under $800. That caliber is just under the power level of a 375 H&H and the recoil isn't much more than a 12ga with field loads. It will knock the stuffing out of all PG in Africa and everything in N. America as well. Only downside to the 9.3 is finding off the shelf ammo in the States but it is everywhere in Africa.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
$375 for a used Leupy on the Classified Boards in 3.5 x 10. I picked up a USED VXIII in 2.5 x 8x. It seemed to work, as I killed a bunch of animals in Zim last fall. I think it cost around $325?

I like taking my own rifle. I borrowed a PH's .308 on my honeymoon to shoot a warthog. But I like to bring my own. You can pick up a used Model 70 on the boards and still be under $1100 total.

DON'T get the 9.3 x 62. You can't find ammo for it anywhere in the states. Yes they are cool, but get a 30-06 or .300 Win Mag and you will be fine.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
SB45:

True enough on finding off the shelf 9.3 ammo in the US. Can order it on-line from a lot of sources though. Expensive but available. Since I'm a devoted re-loader, factory ammo isn't an issue. 30-06 is a very viable option with ammo available pretty much world-wide.

IF and I do mean IF the UN Arms Treaty is ever fully implemented and more countries and airlines actually increase the enforcement of some existing laws and regulations they already have on the books that prohibit the transport of any caliber firearm and ammo that has "ever" been a military service caliber anywhere, things will get tougher in the long-term for all us traveling hunters since so many calibers originated or where at some point military "issue" calibers.

Since the OP seems to be a fan of the Savage Arms line and thinks his current 7-08 is "not enough" for African PG and is on a tight budget, I just re-checked the Savage web site. They make a stainless/synthetic rifle and Weaver 3-9x40 scope package called "International Trophy Hunter XP with a MSRP of $795. Get that in 375 Ruger and he would be good to go anywhere in the world and any animal in the world for the rest of his days and have the "emph" he stated in the OP out to 500yds. IIRC, Leupold bought out Weaver a couple of years ago.

I just went out to Gunbroker and found one NIB with a Nikon 3-9x40 with the BDC recital (next best thing to "turrets") for $585. The OP would have enough left over in the budget for another trophy fee. He'd probably still have to order ammo on-line in the US or get into reloading, but it has become pretty prevalent in RSA and Namibia where he said he was planning on going.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
3 years ago, a year ahead of my first trip, I contemplated for over a year about what rifle/scope I wanted. I was shooting a Savage 7-08 with a Zeiss scope, but knew I wanted something larger and more of a longer distance gun because I knew my plans after Africa was to hunt out West and Alaska/Yukon.
One rifle for everything.
I opted for the Savage Weather Warrior in 300WSM with a Leupold VX3L 3.5-10. I have a CDS on it matched to my bullets. It has the half moon cut out of the bottom so my scope sits lower and is more comfortable to shoot.
I love it.
But, I got the scope on sale for $600 and the rifle was $860, so total was over $1500 after tax.

I plan to go back to Africa in 2014, this time my wife is coming. She wants Kudu, Impala, Blesbok, springbuck. She will use her Savage 7-08 ladyhunter which is her deer rifle and it will be all she needs.

but, reading M3Taco, his option sounds great. In fact, dawgonit, now I want one of them Savage 375's.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the Response! I thought i was crazy for wanting to take a 300 win mag from what others were telling me. Im not very scope intelligent nor do i know alot about the good brands or the ones i should stay away from. Ive had other people on a different forum tell me that the vortex are the best for the money and for the performance and that they are very durable. Thats the reason why im looking into them. From the research ive done it seems that you get more for your money with them than the other known companies, am i wrong? And what kind of rounds were you using if you dont mind me asking? Thanks Again

Based on the rifles you currently own, a .300 WM would compliment them nicely and would work well for Africa and other future hunts. I don't have any experience with Vortex, but I have a number of Zeiss Conquest and you can find a 3-9 x 40 for under $400.

Another suggestion, if you're planning to bring your own rifle, I'd recommend using a rifle permit "meet and greet" like Henry Durrheim . For a first timer, it's $100 well spent to take the hassle out of dealing with SAPS.

My rifle shoots the Barnes 165 gr TTSX very well, so that's what I use. I've taken all of the larger plainsgame (with the exception of eland) with that bullet and had good results.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ive only been to Africa once and oure group shot about 20 animals including eland. I used a Savage SS 1o in 7mm WSM and my son used a Rem 700 in 300 WSM. My daughter a 308 and my cousin a 300 WSM. The conclusions I came to, are if the bullet is good quality for the game and its plasced well, the Animals drop. They may run a short way but they drop, including eland. If the shot isnt perfect you may have to walk a bit. Barnes TSX and Nosler partitions just fine. Point ius 7-08 will work, 300 winns will work and Savage will work. My estimation of quality and use for the $, Bushnel elite scopes are hard to beat. A Savage 300 WM or WSM will run 1/2 a hundred or so and a Bushnel 2.5-10 is about 400$. Fits thge budget, will shoot almost anything you want to hunt. Not DG of course. A word to the wise on Savage products, I find their quality control is not exemplary, so shoot it for praqctice before you go, check all your ammo for function(especially let the ejector kick the empties out) ( mine didnt all the time<ejector issue>)( infact would accept about 8-or 10 caserims). Keep things on budget and enjoy your trip.

Last edited by rogn; 10/25/13.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Savage 88,
If you are concerned about the cost of a rifle and scope,
how do you feel about the cost of a round trip airline ticket?
Just curious,
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Maybe savage88 isn't a rifle loony like the rest of us. Sure doesn't mean he can't afford to hunt.
Add me in with the 30-06 and Leupold 3.5-10x40 crowd. This the combo I used in SA recently.
Most people here are recommending the Leupolds with good reason.

For heavens sake don't lob lead at these game animals at 500 yards. You are doing yourself a big injustice to the hunting and stalking experience and it doesn't say much about your hunting prowess.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When I was in SA I borrowed a Mauser 7x57 with iron sights from the land owner.
I didn't even get a chance to sight it in. The farm hands put on a drive for me and eventually a few came within range. They lectured me about wasting meat and when I asked how they did it. they responded that they only took head shots from a helicopter.
I had fun but it wasn't what I expected.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Whelennut:

That is really most unfortunate your RSA hunt wasn't conducted like you expected. The way you describe it, it sounds like it was more like a biltong/culling operation than a free-range/fair chase op. I use the word "conducted" on purpose as there are very inexpensive culling "hunts" wherein the landowner is just looking to reduce herd numbers and meat sales being the primary revenue stream and not "trophy fees". If that was indeed the case I can understand the "head shot" being the preferred POA.

I would hope you would seriously consider going back again to a operation that offers free-range/fair chase hunting. While it may sound "easy" to go after a particular animal mixed in a herd of 40-50 others, the serious challenge is in the stalking to within 100yds or less. Especially, since you have those same 40-50 extra sets of ears and eyes on the lookout and then toss in the "go-away" birds or eyes of the baboons that you can't see but they pick you up at 700yds and start barking and not to mention the multitude of any other number of species that you didn't or can't see in between that will "bust" your stalk in an instant.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thank you, that's great advice! I will take it all into account. It's nice to hear from someone that doesn't think I'm not able to hunt unless I spend as much on a rifle as I do for the trip

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Savage 88, I went to SA, Eastern Cape this spring on a plains game hunt. We are going back again, Lord willing 2015 if not next year if I can swing it. I rebooked for a twelve day hunt, 10 full hunting days 1x1 and $1000 credit towards trophy fees for $2800. Kudu trophy fee is $1150 (any size) for example of reasonable trophy fees. Throw in a few of the smaller game plus your airfare and dip and pack your looking at around $6000 +/-. You CAN do Africa on a working mans budget smile! Good luck! Kevin

And we know that all things work for the good for those who love The Lord, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8-28
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,536
Posts18,453,048
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.