Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
There must be a ton of experience here with truck caps. What are your opinions on aluminum versus fiberglass. Issues such as cost, weight, durability, sound while driving... whatever you think of.

Thanks.
Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The rivets come loose/welds break on the aluminum ones.

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have owned 2 AL and 1 FG. All did the job, but the fiberglass one looked the best. It was also literally 10 times the price I paid for the used aluminum ones. If I was leaving it on all the time AND I had a new/nice looking truck I would go AL. If I was taking it off after the trip and/or it was going on an old beater, I might go AL to save some money.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been carrying a cab high glass unit on my Ford for 10 years. No issues and looks good as new. My next unit, if needed, will be glass too.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a fiberglass that sweeps up a little higher than the cab of my 3/4 ton Dodge. That little bit of extra headroom makes all the difference in the world. I could never sleep good in the Al. cab highs I had before.

Mine has been on for 8 years and still looks good.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 1minute
Been carrying a cab high glass unit on my Ford for 10 years. No issues and looks good as new. My next unit, if needed, will be glass too.

+1

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aluminum is considerably lighter but easier to damage and harder to repair.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a AL topper back in the 70's and would never consider any other than a plastic or fiberglass topper nowadays.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Do young guys in urban areas put their truck caps on backwards?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had an older aluminum cap and it wasn't worth what I paid for it...which was nothin'!

Leaked like a sieve. Ugly as hell.

Glass is much nicer, but as you say, you pay for it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About the only advantage to an aluminum one is its significantly lower weight.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Do they even make aluminum caps anymore. The only ones I see are old ones on older trucks.

Done it both ways. If you want something cheap that will only be on the truck occasionally aluminum is OK. I used to be able to take one off and put it on by myself. Fiberglass is best left on the truck all the time. While fiberglass is more expensive it will hold up and last much longer too.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
But that lower weight means that it will be easier for you to put it back in the truck when it blows off. I couldn't tell what broke first on mine that caused the total structural failure and gave the air the required strength to lift it from the bed of my truck. The guy behind me said it was the most awesome thing he had seen in a long time. Just a big tearing noise and then nothing. It was laying upside down in the road. The aluminum cap was easy to fold up and stick in the bed of the truck and in only a few minutes of cleanup, I was back on the road.

Go with fiberglass. I did on my next one and it never disappointed me.

Harry
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've also had both types. I don't use one at all now but it I did, it would be FG for sure. Weight is the only issue. FG doors seal better, they're quieter, if you sleep in one, they're warmer, I could go on and on.
The last one I had was about a foot above cab height and I HIGHLY recommend that. The extra headroom was invaluable.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i've had both and much prefer fiberglass. it costs more generally but looks better and is heavier, which i prefer. it is good to have some weight on the ass-end of a big old truck in the winter time in these parts. it also is less likely to dent from flying rocks and falling branches.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
Do young guys in urban areas put their truck caps on backwards?

I have to give this credit for my first laugh of the day. laugh

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image] I needed to replace mine, which was a 27 year old fiberglass cap that I had originally on a Nissan. (Now I have a Ranger -- it fits OK but not perfectly.) It has served me well, but the door struts are no good, the 'glass is cracked and the door won't seal. When you open it, it's hard to open, and when you close it, it's hard to close. Yesterday I bought the one pictured. >>>

When I went to look at it, I thought it was fiberglass. It turned out to be aluminum. It's much lighter than 'glass, but it's in perfect condition. I paid the man, we put it on my truck, and away I went. When I got up to about 60 mph, it created a humming sound. I don't know whether that's from the wind whipping through the ladder rack, or from the vibration of the aluminum.

I still might look for a fiberglass cap, as I think I can get my money back out of this one.

I think pretty good looking for aluminum cap, and the rack might be nice on occasion. But does anyone have ideas on what makes that noise?

Thanks.
Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I haven't had an aluminum topper for a lot of years. They are much lighter. That is nice if you don't want it on your truck all the time. They don't offer a bunch of security, but some like out of sight, out of mind.

The cost difference isn't enough anymore for me to want an aluminum topper, and the fiberglass caps look a lot better on most trucks.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When I went to look at it, I thought it was fiberglass. It turned out to be aluminum. It's much lighter than 'glass, but it's in perfect condition. I paid the man, we put it on my truck, and away I went. When I got up to about 60 mph, it created a humming sound. I don't know whether that's from the wind whipping through the ladder rack, or from the vibration of the aluminum.
I'd say 95% chance the noise is the ladder rack. They're famous for that as they're not designed to be aerodynamic. Do any of the tubes have open ends? If so, fill them with caulk or cap them somehow. Open ends can really whistle in the wind. This cap has that cross rib right under the ladder cross bar. That can catch the wind and cause the whole top to vibrate. Aluminum is flexible enough to do stuff like that.

Another plus about FG - I believe they give you better traction on slick roads. It's not so much just the added weight but they have correct weight distribution. The center of gravity is right where it needs to be.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The first step in your decision making should be to examine WHY you want a "cap".[we call 'em "camper shells", but we still drive pickups, not trucks.]

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,945 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.