Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, for me it would be WHY do I want it.

For occasional use, like during deer season, I"ve been MUCH happier with a AL cap.

I"ve had caps since the late 70s.

I have had a couple of glass and if you want one on there permanenetly, they seem teh way to go. but I had to cut out rotten wood in mine once and replace along the bed stringers.

As to sleeping, I've slept in both a lot, and could never really tell the difference much.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
[Linked Image] I needed to replace mine, which was a 27 year old fiberglass cap that I had originally on a Nissan. (Now I have a Ranger -- it fits OK but not perfectly.) It has served me well, but the door struts are no good, the 'glass is cracked and the door won't seal. When you open it, it's hard to open, and when you close it, it's hard to close. Yesterday I bought the one pictured. >>>

When I went to look at it, I thought it was fiberglass. It turned out to be aluminum. It's much lighter than 'glass, but it's in perfect condition. I paid the man, we put it on my truck, and away I went. When I got up to about 60 mph, it created a humming sound. I don't know whether that's from the wind whipping through the ladder rack, or from the vibration of the aluminum.

I still might look for a fiberglass cap, as I think I can get my money back out of this one.

I think pretty good looking for aluminum cap, and the rack might be nice on occasion. But does anyone have ideas on what makes that noise?

Thanks.
Steve.

RE noise, I"ve had AL on this last truck since 02. Off and on. I should not admit it, but the F350 has run every bit of 100 at times and never a vibration noise....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only camper shell that I've had that made a difference in sleeping comfort was FG cap on a 86 Toyota but it also had a full carpet kit/plywood storage unit in it. It was warm and comfy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"As to sleeping, I've slept in both a lot, and could never really tell the difference much."

My comment about sleeping better was because of the extra headroom in my FG one vs. the AL ones I've had before. Even when I was younger, getting up off the floor and getting my clothes on while staying on my knees was a bitch.

I carry a folding cot that just fits inside my 7 ft. bed and straddles the fender wells so I have room beside it. I can sit up in it without bumping my head, and get into my clothes without a struggle.

Everything I need to camp out 2 or 3 days is in my camper shell now, and will stay in there until hunting season ends in Jan.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I was told (2005) that AL ones couldn't even be purchased new anymore. I've had one of each, and left them on 99% of the time.

The FG are much much more durable -- and with more headroom -- but removing one is a 2-person job.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was surprised that among all my photobook pictures, none showed my pickup. So... I took a couple just now.

'99 Dodge/Cummins. 300k + miles. The camper has been on for 200k.

[Linked Image]

My only problem was the door hinge kept breaking the edge off the door when the wind would catch it while open, since it hinged on the side and the wind ALWAYS blows where I'm at.

So.... I did a little Negro Adjusting and it works fine. Kinda like the Dutchman's daughter; Not much for looks, but hell for stout. [I'm an EO racist grin ]

[Linked Image]

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by curdog4570
"As to sleeping, I've slept in both a lot, and could never really tell the difference much."

My comment about sleeping better was because of the extra headroom in my FG one vs. the AL ones I've had before. Even when I was younger, getting up off the floor and getting my clothes on while staying on my knees was a bitch.

I carry a folding cot that just fits inside my 7 ft. bed and straddles the fender wells so I have room beside it. I can sit up in it without bumping my head, and get into my clothes without a struggle.

Everything I need to camp out 2 or 3 days is in my camper shell now, and will stay in there until hunting season ends in Jan.

I can understand that. I"m not quite 50 yet and still sleep on the ground or bed or floor typically in many things.

I just saw one post IIRC RE temps inside the campers.

Only one that is a bit warmer is our pop up slide in camper. And because its pop up its not much warmer....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,927 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,257
Posts18,467,069
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.