Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Are there any "best" tubes for a Benelli M2?

This is for hunting, preferably an extended type to make it easy to remove, and must be steel shot capable, and no vents.

Probably want a "modified" constriction.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great results with Briley extended, Carlson extended, and patternmaster (goose constriction).

Have used a patternmaster for a decade plus in my Benelli xtrema for everything from waterfowl to dove.

Briley and Carlson have wide range of size options, the light modified is my normal go to choice.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Try one of the Muller Waterfowl chokes. I have two sets of their feather lite chokes and they are the best I have found.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Take a look at the Trulock chokes; they make chokes for Benelli. I needed a choke tube for my new BUL 20 and TL had a great selection of chokes and were very easy to deal with.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Have had great luck with both Briley and Carlson.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My favorites are Muller and Briley, in that order.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There is no difference in the tru lock, briley or Carlson. I have all 3 and they are made exactly the same way. Same tapper same parallel section, no difference. Don't get all caught up in that black cloud choke for black cloud ammo or blind side choke for blindside ammo, its all marketing bull$hit designed to separate you from your cash. Any one of the 3 afore mentioned chokes with quality ammo will serve you well. Im really digging a light modified for ducks and it works good for doves in reasonable range.

Angleport runs a sale on their choke tubes on occasion for 25 bucks each or 5 for a 100 dollar bill. Angleport will need your barrel to measure the bore so the tubes will be fitted to your bore. I have a set of there custom tubes for my old SBE and love them. That is a really good deal. Briley, TruLock and Carlson extended tubes will run about 50 bucks each.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't know if their is a difference between the tubes in an M1 and the ones in a M2 but the std fac tubes in imp cyl and modified work fine and see all the action in my M1. Magnum man

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Briley Ext LM is my usual "go to" choke in my M1, SBE and Extrema II for an all a rounder. The only real exception is on combo duck and goose trips where I don't absolutely expect them backwinging in the decoys then I use a patternmaster.

I have many others from Briley, Carlson and Trulock that I occasionally use but those 2 handle 95% of my choke needs.

As a note you will often see chokes labeled "duck" or "midrange", these are usually LM. Also "goose" or "extended range" are typically an IM/LF.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Partial hijack...

I am selling a Beretta and trying to fund an M2 in lefty. The guy that really makes sense is the WA guy right above me. I am a 90% Warefowl guy.

But I'm not good enough to get the ducks "back winging" everytime either.

We run mod chokes now. We've spent time and patterned at 40. Didnt do percentage but rather a Tom Roster theory of minimum pellet count.

I thought Patternmaster was a brand and not a specific choke?

And is it mandatory to have the chokes fitted?

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jesse,

I spoke poorly in my initial post. Rather then "back winging I should have said "reasonably expect the birds to decoy in". If we have a good spot with good bird movement I will run a more open choke then if I thought I may have to shoot at birds flaring.

Pattetnmaster is a brand and not a constriction. Again I'm old school so when I mention patternmaster I am referring to their "extended" choke as that used to be all they made. It patterns as a steel compliant full choke. Its awesome on longer shots and amazing on field geese if a guy can shoot.

They now make a "close" which the one I had patterned like my briley light Mod in my SBE, they make a "mid" and my old one patterned same as briley IM that I still have.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Wasn't busting balls on terms.....Dropping in, Locked up, Raining....whatever. Both know what we mean.

I always think birds are closer. Already had many cripples. Admittedly don't shoot them in the lips as best we could. But when wading to being in ducks we start opening blinds at 30-35. Birds are probably 40+.

Have been interested in an aftermarket choke for some time. But I need a nice, even patterned choke for 40 yards.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like my Brileys and Pattermasters but truth be told for a do all set, the Carlson's Waterfowl sets for both my M1 and Extrema II pattern just as well. They come with 3 extended tubes that cover all needs and can be had for $75-80 shipped.

When not hunting the "X" if you will with birds in my face I'm a fan of Patternmasters design. The studs inside the tube are supposed to slightly retard the wad which keeps the shot pattern shorter/tighter in flight. There are slow motion videos out that show the Paytermasters to have shot strings of 2-3' long versus the 10+' of normal shot strings. Its their theory and my results agree that you get more pellets on target sooner possibly decreasing cripples.

Not cheap at around $75 a tube but I'm thinking for what your describing the Patternmaster Long Range would make you very happy. In my SBE and Extrema II they pattern like my Imods with 3" and a Mod when shooting 3 1/2".

Seeing as your in WA and Ive been thinking about trying the waterfowling in NE we may have to try to set up a hunt this season.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Briley

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I also have a patternmaster long range and like it with big shot shot sizes. You control the pattern with the shell. with my SBE the #3s pattern what I need most of the time and if I'm hunting big water I shoot #2s. If I'm hunting small holes I use #4s and they spread more. it works good for my waterfowl system. I do not like it for lead loads. That's why I use a light mod in my M1. I use it for everything from geese to doves and crows and pigeons.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,661 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,127
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.