Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone know of a guide or will sell info about where to hunt elk successfully in the Powers unit in Oregon?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dont know anyone personally, but good luck over there. 3 point or better unit isnt it?

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a clue, but best off luck. A bad ass unit with a bunch off potential...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Never thought of guides actually working there. Powers was always our backup unit when Tioga got shut down for fire danger during bow season.

We always hunted clearcuts off the logging roads. Find a good (elevated) spot and glass the clearcuts at first light, then make a plan from there. That isn't much help, but all the spots I know/knew are surely overgrown by now.

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Marty,

It has to be a spike.

cwh2,

Thanks. Any little bit helps this novice elk hunter.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My only Tip Is bring you best rain gear. Though if this dry spell continues, we all might be wearing flipflops and shorts for Elk.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Rich,

sorry, being out of town right now, I didn't see this one..

I've elk hunted over there multiple times...plenty of rain tho, if you have a November tag...

there is two Powers Units... I've hunted the south Powers Unit each time... plenty of Elk, that's for sure...low level of hunter pressure compared to other units.. but still enough idiots over there...

two examples..

spotted 12 bulls one morning, along with a boat load of cows, working their way up a wash in a logged out section... I was just watching them come my way from about 600 yds out, and was just waiting for them to get within 300 yds or so...

had my truck parked on the side of the road, and I was watching behind a boulder.... at the same time, down the road and up the road, two different trucks and parties stop and a bunch of guys bail out of each rig...

one group starts banging away at about 900 yds down the hill from me, and the other started banging away at about 700 yds...

they weren't hitting squat, but the elk took off down the wash and made a Beeline for the thick stuff... road hunters..

second time, I was overlooking a good sized group with some good bulls in it in another clear cut...it was viewable from an upper and lower road.. once again, road hunters... bunch of rigs seemed to come upon it at about the same time... I had camped beside the clear cut that night...

all the road hunters bailed out and started shooting at anything that moved... NO bulls were taken, but they hit SEVEN COWS.. and then finished them off... they cut up the animals, and threw them in coolers, and left the remains there...

thing was, NOT ONE person in those 4 parties had a cow permit...

Powers was isolated enough, guess they didn't think they need to worry about laws or anything inconvenient like that...

most of the slob hunters seemed to be from Coos and Curry County...for whatever that is worth...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Yes, I have a great guide for that unit. I have hunted with hi 4-5 times. One of those times was the rifle season in the Powers unit. He's been a long time guide that lives in Coquille. I've hunted for elk twice, unsuccessfully, once for bear (got a real nice bear), once for fallow deer (got a real nice one), and am heading up for hopefully my final elk hunt this x-mas.

The Powers hunt was tough. We hunted several days without seeing any bulls. There was a ton of snow and we couldn't get into a couple of areas we wanted. After the 4th day we moved to a different part of the unit. There we saw 6 large bulls on private land. The guide new the owner, gave them a call and offered a trespass fee and was turned down. Later that AM I had an opportunity to shoot, a very large bull, at 850 yards. Unfortunately I couldn't get my long range rifle dialed up quickly enough. We also stalked some tracks in the snow to find some cows.

The Powers unit will require 7 or more points to hunt the rifle season. My guide says it's the best unit for hunting elk during rifle season. When I hunt the unit again, after building up points, I'll plan on hunting the entire 10 days. It's a tough hunt but you have a great opportunity to shoot a real nice Roosevelt.

PM me if you are interested in his info.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I also know a guide you need to stay away from.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I also know a guide you need to stay away from.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 20 invisible), 1,353 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,223
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.