-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shooting prairie dogs is mighty easy going in a target rich environment. Surprises me more older hunters don't give it a go. Was out today in 72 degrees walking soft rolling hills banging away with the little Sako Vixen.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This thread reminded me of one of the best scenes in movie history. Watch.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That was extremely difficult to watch. Perhaps is would be better to not know it was a last go around. I do remember watching that portion on the big screen and marveling as how those shakey fingers deftly tied that turle knot.

I believe that gentleman is one of our more famous fly casters. Anyone remember his name?

Thank you for posting though.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/26/13.

1Minute
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
OP, I feel your pain, and I'm almost 10 yrs. younger than you. Done a lot of big game hunting, in a lotta places. Shot over 100 whitetails in my home county. The facination is running out for me on big game. I'm having more fun squirrel hunting, the last couple of years, than anything else I do. Matter of fact, I'm going this weekend!!

maddog

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hunters, anglers, and pilots are a lot alike. They all seek something they can't really articulate in beautiful and untrodden - but hostile - places. Their search never ends, but it does come to a halt. A pilot either knows this will be the last time he straps in, or he doesn't know this will be the last time he straps in. It's not much different for a hunter or an angler.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pard you can come up here and I will take ya hunting!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I would love to hear that you retooled your game and adjusted to the situation by heading south or going after small game. I hate to hear of hunters giving it up.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I can get ya a bear any time you want to give it a go. We'll set you in the right place at the right time and you can wait him out, to get him or watch him walk by, your choice. Hunting doesn't have to be done at the speed of light.

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Tracks, wish you the best regardless of what works out for you...

I'm not ready to give up hunting, but I find it a thousand times more enjoyable to help or assist others in getting a head of game than myself...

be it friends or my son and his friends that I take hunting because they have no dad in their lives to take them, or one boys dad is handicapped and just can't do it...

not a lot of people always understand that....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Dad was 80, was in great shape and always did stuff until he did 1 thing to many. He helped out elderly neighbors by cutting a branch off of their tree. Unfortunately, somehow he fell from the ladder 10 feet onto concrete. A concussion, brain damage and broken bones put an end to his doing just about anything. It also brought on Alzheimers which didn't help either.

Real sad thing that the neighbors didn't need my Dad's help. They had plenty of money to hire a professional to trim their tree.

Try to recognize your limits and don't cross them. 80 is too old to be climbing ladders and cutting trees down.

Last edited by ConradCA; 10/25/13.

[Linked Image from ]
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Originally Posted by Tracks
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Every time you blinked, you took a picture smile

Yeah, I spent the last few minutes of Wednesday as the Sun went down adding some final memories, knowing it was the last time.

That brought a tear to my eye. I just can't imagine. I know the day will come, but damn, I feel badly for you. It's sad to hear, and think about.

Bob

Tracks, I wish you all the best.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm 30 years old. And I haven't hunted as hard this year as I typically do. Wasn't even going to hunt tomorrow. I think I'll go pack my stuff up so I can be sitting in my favorite basin at daylight in the morning. Thanks for the inspiration sir.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In Calif we have a special dispensation for physically disabled hunters which allows them to hunt from ATVs or other vehicles. I bet you could get a note from your doctor and get one of these permits. Let you hunt for quite a few more years.

Also, consider acquiring a pack horse, burro, donkey or goats to carry your gear which would make it easier.

Lastly, consider getting one of those emergency locator beacons so if you really need help you can call for it no matter where you are. Spot is one and it sells for $150 and $100 a month. You can summon emergency help; and send messages and location to your friends also.

[Linked Image from ]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
I have firearms and fine fishing equipment that was passed to me from a death bed about 20 years ago. While they are indeed treasured and bring forth the finest of memories each time they're handled, I've never been able to use them. He was 83, flew bombers in the Pacific, and made a difference.

You are a lucky man, fewer and fewer have those links to that time in our history, any more.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by chesterwy
I'm 30 years old. And I haven't hunted as hard this year as I typically do. Wasn't even going to hunt tomorrow. I think I'll go pack my stuff up so I can be sitting in my favorite basin at daylight in the morning. Thanks for the inspiration sir.

+1

Thanks for inspiring me as well. At 46 I can start to feel it coming on and figure I have only a limited number of good years left. Need to live them to the fullest. Took my dad (72) on a whitetail hunt last week and he's really slowed down. Hard for me to watch, as he was always the leader of the pack.

Last edited by Paul_C; 10/25/13.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Not a matter of giving up my friend. Its about listening to what your body is telling you and obeying.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I share your sentiments. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hunt smarter

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hate to hear it when anyone hangs it up. I know I will never quit. I sat on a stand with an O2 tank when I had complications from brain surgery. I can barely walk right now needing to have 3 disks fused in my neck and 3 fused in my back. The only time I do not enjoy any type of hunting is when I run out of snuff.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Tracks

To be honest I haven't been very good at it for some time.
This week trying to climb out a canyon in knee deep snow I decided that at 72 I just can't do it anymore.
Birds and Fish best beware, but I've hung up the rifle.
It was a hell of a good run while it lasted.
I'm not a touchy feely guy but I have to admit that your post brought a tear to my eye. Best wishes to any and all outdoor adventures that you have in your future. Sounds like you've had a good run so far.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 163bc, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 160user, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,195
Posts18,465,879
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.