-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
At 53" long this rig surely ain't built for "close quarters battle", but if I ever caught some bad guys out in the open.....shame on em. I put this together for 3 Gun, starting with a Benelli M2 with a 28" barrel and thought some of yall would enjoy seeing how it turned out.

3 Gun rules can vary a lot depending on where you're at but for the most part where I shoot you can have nine rounds in the gun to start the stage. But after the stage starts you can load as many as you want. Most guys build 21"ish shotguns with mag extensions that allow them to hold nine rounds. But since I was starting with a 28" barrel I decided to take full advantage of the length and added a Nordic Components +9 tube, bringing my total mag capacity to 12 rounds. Since I can start with nine rounds, after the start I can charge the shotgun and then load four rounds before I even start shooting if I want (all of my shell holders are in multiples of two or four, so making the tube capacity an even number made sense). Around here the shotgun stages are never in really tight spaces so the 28" barrel and 12 round tube will give me more of an benefit in capacity than it will cost me in length.

I ordered the Nordic kit that included the tube, end cap, barrel nut and spring. I also picked up their low drag follower. The tube is machined to fit a barrel clamp if you want to use one (the tube is reversible so the clamp can be mounted slightly closer or further away from the barrel's end, depending on what you want). With a tube this long I did decide to use the clamp. When you're done with your shotgun on a stage you leave it barrel down in a plastic barrel, so dumping this thing in a barrel pretty hard without a clamp would likely bend the tube pretty quickly.

[Linked Image]

I replaced the stock bolt handle with a larger model from Nordic also. With the new handle I definitely won't miss it, and can even charge it from underneath with my left hand if I wanted to. After adding the extended bolt release and maybe the Matchsaverz too, the bolt handle becomes more necessary.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My neighbor D&Td my bolt release for me and I added an extended pad. I really didn't need it (didn't need to bolt handle to be honest) but I figure if I'm spending all this money, I might as well spend a little more. The bolt release is Nordic also.

In the picture you can also see the Matchsaverz doohickey. It's only on there with velcro right now, I haven't decided if I'm gonna keep it. The idea is that if you run empty and need just one more shot you can slide that shell right into the ejection port with your left hand and have one more shot super fast. It does work, I just don' t know if I'll keep it or not. It permanently mounts with a bolt / nut through the forearm.

[Linked Image]

The only modifications that were really necessary are welding the lifter and (to a lesser extent) opening up the loading port. The shotgun part of 3 Gun is really just a loading race. It doesn't matter how fast you can shoot, if you can't load you're screwed.

Jeff Cockrum at C-Rums is THE guy for welding lifters. Instead of sending mine to C-Rums I dropped the receiver off with Trapr Swonson at Red Neck Tactical. Trapr already had the a welded lifter and just traded it out for me. He also opened up the loading port and polished the shell catch and lifter. I put juuuuuuust a slight bend to the shell catch so that shells would feed more easily too.

The difference in the lifter and loading port is pretty obvious and it definitely shows when you're trying to load quickly. I can actually fit my entire thumb into the port / tube without it snagging on anything. The stock lifter will eat your thumb up if you're not careful.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/...3-11620-0000185A02ABE819_zps24035c87.jpg[/img]

If you're looking for any parts like these you can order directly from Nordic or C-Rums obviously. But I also really recommend https://www.theshooterssource.com and http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com I've used them both for this build and other things and have always had great customer service from them. Trapr doesn't have a website but he can be reached on facebook or on the Brian Enos forums (I think he's BigBrownDog) or I can help you get in touch with him.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 10/25/13.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I built up my 870 and started practicing the loading. After some reading I ended up buying a Beretta 1301 Comp to avoid some of those customization ideas. So far I just added a +5 tube but I would have to measure the OAL of any longer to stay within our new goofy laws. I shot the Beretta in one match so far and it is a nice unit for 3 gun. Both thoroughly untactical shotguns as well...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by supercrewd; 10/26/13.

NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Blue, Not sure about three gun. But that looks like a snow goose killing machine

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
At 53" long this rig surely ain't built for "close quarters battle", but if I ever caught some bad guys out in the open.....shame on em. I put this together for 3 Gun, starting with a Benelli M2 with a 28" barrel and thought some of yall would enjoy seeing how it turned out.

3 Gun rules can vary a lot depending on where you're at but for the most part where I shoot you can have nine rounds in the gun to start the stage. But after the stage starts you can load as many as you want. Most guys build 21"ish shotguns with mag extensions that allow them to hold nine rounds. But since I was starting with a 28" barrel I decided to take full advantage of the length and added a Nordic Components +9 tube, bringing my total mag capacity to 12 rounds. Since I can start with nine rounds, after the start I can charge the shotgun and then load four rounds before I even start shooting if I want (all of my shell holders are in multiples of two or four, so making the tube capacity an even number made sense). Around here the shotgun stages are never in really tight spaces so the 28" barrel and 12 round tube will give me more of an benefit in capacity than it will cost me in length.

I ordered the Nordic kit that included the tube, end cap, barrel nut and spring. I also picked up their low drag follower. The tube is machined to fit a barrel clamp if you want to use one (the tube is reversible so the clamp can be mounted slightly closer or further away from the barrel's end, depending on what you want). With a tube this long I did decide to use the clamp. When you're done with your shotgun on a stage you leave it barrel down in a plastic barrel, so dumping this thing in a barrel pretty hard without a clamp would likely bend the tube pretty quickly.

[Linked Image]

I replaced the stock bolt handle with a larger model from Nordic also. With the new handle I definitely won't miss it, and can even charge it from underneath with my left hand if I wanted to. After adding the extended bolt release and maybe the Matchsaverz too, the bolt handle becomes more necessary.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My neighbor D&Td my bolt release for me and I added an extended pad. I really didn't need it (didn't need to bolt handle to be honest) but I figure if I'm spending all this money, I might as well spend a little more. The bolt release is Nordic also.

In the picture you can also see the Matchsaverz doohickey. It's only on there with velcro right now, I haven't decided if I'm gonna keep it. The idea is that if you run empty and need just one more shot you can slide that shell right into the ejection port with your left hand and have one more shot super fast. It does work, I just don' t know if I'll keep it or not. It permanently mounts with a bolt / nut through the forearm.

[Linked Image]

The only modifications that were really necessary are welding the lifter and (to a lesser extent) opening up the loading port. The shotgun part of 3 Gun is really just a loading race. It doesn't matter how fast you can shoot, if you can't load you're screwed.

Jeff Cockrum at C-Rums is THE guy for welding lifters. Instead of sending mine to C-Rums I dropped the receiver off with Trapr Swonson at Red Neck Tactical. Trapr already had the a welded lifter and just traded it out for me. He also opened up the loading port and polished the shell catch and lifter. I put juuuuuuust a slight bend to the shell catch so that shells would feed more easily too.

The difference in the lifter and loading port is pretty obvious and it definitely shows when you're trying to load quickly. I can actually fit my entire thumb into the port / tube without it snagging on anything. The stock lifter will eat your thumb up if you're not careful.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/...3-11620-0000185A02ABE819_zps24035c87.jpg[/img]

If you're looking for any parts like these you can order directly from Nordic or C-Rums obviously. But I also really recommend https://www.theshooterssource.com and http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com I've used them both for this build and other things and have always had great customer service from them. Trapr doesn't have a website but he can be reached on facebook or on the Brian Enos forums (I think he's BigBrownDog) or I can help you get in touch with him.

Thanks for posting that. I need another thing to do like I need a hole in my head but 3 Gun has caught my attention. I was looking at the 24 and 26 inch M2's and thinking about them for hunting and 3 gun mods (extension could be removed)....you went all out with the 28!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've turned my 28-in. Beretta Xtrema2 into a super-long blaster with aftermarket parts, then did a 21-in. M2 for a snow goose control hunt last spring.

Used both on the hunt and the Benelli was more wieldy. Have even thought about turning in my issued 870P and just taking the Benelli to work with me.

Haven't done the lifter or loading port mods yet, and appreciate info you posted.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Thanks for posting that. I need another thing to do like I need a hole in my head but 3 Gun has caught my attention. I was looking at the 24 and 26 inch M2's and thinking about them for hunting and 3 gun mods (extension could be removed)....you went all out with the 28!

I almost got a 21" but found this 28" on sale so went with it. The extra capacity isn't necessary, but it's sure nice to have options about when you load and a longer tube gives you that.

And really, lots of guys run tubes that extend way past their muzzle. So don't worry about barrel length and let that dictate your capacity.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
I've turned my 28-in. Beretta Xtrema2 into a super-long blaster with aftermarket parts, then did a 21-in. M2 for a snow goose control hunt last spring.

Used both on the hunt and the Benelli was more wieldy. Have even thought about turning in my issued 870P and just taking the Benelli to work with me.

Haven't done the lifter or loading port mods yet, and appreciate info you posted.

If I could carry my own shotgun at work I might actually use a shotgun at work. And it'd be an 18.5 or 21" Benelli.

Yesterday I also did a little more tweaking on the shell catch and it made a world of difference. Instead of pushing the shells in they just slide in, if that makes a difference.

If you decide to open up your port I'll send you better pics of mine with measurements.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by supercrewd
I built up my 870 and started practicing the loading. After some reading I ended up buying a Beretta 1301 Comp to avoid some of those customization ideas. So far I just added a +5 tube but I would have to measure the OAL of any longer to stay within our new goofy laws. I shot the Beretta in one match so far and it is a nice unit for 3 gun. Both thoroughly untactical shotguns as well...

[Linked Image]

If I hadn't found the Benelli on sale I would've probably bought the Beretta. They're supposed to be a great deal.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
From a purely nontactical position, I've had a couple of 26", a 24" and two 28" Benelli's as well as the 18" w/ghost ring sights and find I shoot my current 21" M1 best. But my cousin who I've hunted with all my life shoots the 28" version best. In fact he wound up with my last SBE. So a man just needs to see which one he shoots better.

And in the end, that is what matters.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you, Blue.

Here's a shot from '06ish when I first rigged the Xtrema2. Lot to be said for eight 3.5-in. 54-pellet 4 Buck loads on tap. grin [img:left][Linked Image][/img]

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I got a PM asking for measurements on the loading port and figured it'd be just as well to post them here.

The length basically follows the divot (or whatever you'd call it) machined at the top of the loading port.
[Linked Image]

The bottom isn't opened at all, here's a measurement for reference.
[Linked Image]

At the retaining pin for the shell catch, about halfway up the port.
[Linked Image]

At it's widest portion.
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Spongebob ruler really caps the photo essay!

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Oh yeah? While you've got the 1-2.5cm face, I'm wearing the 2.5-5cm face there buddy. Keep laughing it up!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sorry, all this humor is lost with the written word.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was laughing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tactical/3-gun type snow goose blasters are fun and make for lots of shocked looks on the line.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I was laughing.

Me too.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Need to keep shotgun posts and pics going!

Found this shot I snapped of my youngest son when we were on a deer season prep on the edge of the Swamp this summer. My M2 Field 21-in. w/ Nordic snowgoose/3gun goodies and non-tactical sling I got for the hunt.

The flame job is a Wally World stickon for fun. Thinking about a dipping it in something semi-fun if not going to take it to work...then again, nice wood and burnt bronze cerakote would be the schizz.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,087 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.