Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The Tikka's are about the same in price as the Rems and Winchester's around here, so give me a model 70.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bearstalker
The Tikka's are about the same in price as the Rems and Winchester's around here, so give me a model 70.

Really? I would take a Tikka over a new Rem 700 any day of the week ending in Y, but they (tikks's)are at least a few hundred less than the 70s around here. For the same price, I would probably go Winchester too.

Last edited by goalie; 11/04/13.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
An observation . . . Tikka owners post pictures of their targets

M70 owners usually post pictures of their rifles.

Very good point!

It's a ridiculous point and proves nothing.Like most generalizations on the CF, you can ignore it and you'll be OK.

I don't post pictures, but we can ask BSA to post up some of his M70's so you guys can examine both the rifles...and the groups.

Pal of mine had a Tikka 223 that he raved about....until the trigger assembly disintegrated after 300-400 rounds,which made shooting groups of any size,impossible.

OTOH, an old pal of mine, now deceased, held records in registered matches shot with a pair of M70 actions that saw,in the aggregate, over 200,000 rounds of live fire without a bauble.

So I guess one of the "intangibles" of a M70 is a trigger design that does not quit after 300-400 rounds.

The M70 is one of the most successful designs in the history of shooting and BG hunting,proven for decades...the Tikka is a cheap economy model made to a price point.Could care less how well it shoots...you guys can keep them all.

Jeez Bob . . . you completely misunderstood me, and then jumped all over my azz!!!

My point wasn't that a M70 wouldn't shoot . . . my point was that there's not much reason to take a picture of a Tikka grin

No reason for a M70 guy to post a lot of target pics. Everybody knows a good one will shoot right along with the best (and most of them are good).

How many Tikka fence post pics have you seen? Sure they shoot, but that is pretty much the end of the "pride-of-ownership"

Tikka . . . it's a tool . . . not much reason to take a picture of it.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've never in my life seen more one hole rifles than many 24HCF members have.........but I also don't understand why avid hunters buy beautiful rifles only to have them sit in a safe and drool over. I'm weird though. I'm one of those "rifles are only a tool" guys.

Last edited by JGRaider; 11/04/13.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I've never in my life seen more one hole rifles than many 24HCF members have.........but I also don't understand why avid hunters buy beautiful rifles only to have them sit in a safe and drool over. I'm weird though. I'm one of those "rifles are only a tool" guys.

Same here JG

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure." (Thomas Jefferson)

DON'T TREAD ON ME

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by keystoneben
What part of Pa do you hunt?

I hunt in 2C (Seven Springs Ski Resort area)is about a fifty minute ride from one spot and about twenty minutes from two other spots. And I travel four hours north to hunt at camp in 2G(Potter County). More deer in 2C anymore and way more grouse in 2G. Grouse are super hard to find in 2C anymore. Having said that, the last four years I shot 9 deer in 2G with DMAP tags included. I'm hunting 2C this year though ,in which, I hunted mostly the previous 20 years.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure." (Thomas Jefferson)

DON'T TREAD ON ME

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Up . . . so Bob can apologize grin

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
So it's price point vs something to take pride in....Guys, these 2 rifles are basically on 2 different ends of the spectrum for me: However with that being said, I wouldn't mind having a Tikka T3 lite one of these days. I've looked at them a time or 2 and there's things I like about them and things I really don't like about them. I can't say the same for my pre 64 model 70's, because I like everything about them. I don't need to post pics of how my rifles shoot because that gets redundant. I've sold enough here that those guys can post pics of how those rifles shoot. EricM, Gunnut308, raybass, fordisto, louiethedrifter, joes64gto (his son-in-law who is actually a military sniper has that rifle) and 444Matt. Just to name a few, can attest to how my old rifles shoot. Trust me, the model 70's will shoot as good as the Tikka's, but may require more tender loving care, IE: Bedding, trigger work, etc..For me it's the model 70 because I appreciate the "heart and soul" of the older wood/blued classics...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
For me it's the model 70 because I appreciate the "heart and soul" of the older wood/blued classics...

I am not a pre-64 lover. Tried a couple, and in their original form they just weren't for me.

But since the Classic action returned, I have been a M70 fan.

The Tikka is a fine tool, but the M70 is a fine rifle.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I use my rifles as "tools" as well, but also take a certain amount of pride in ownership too: That means I take care of my chit.. I hunted this one all day today out in the rain:

[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I use my rifles as "tools" as well, but also take a certain amount of pride in ownership too: That means I take care of my chit.. I hunted this one all day today out in the rain:

[Linked Image]

Man that is a badass rifle. Love that pic!

If I had to choose one or the other I'd go with the pre-64 M70... because they DO shoot very well and like BSA, I love the heart and soul of wood/blue steel. But I also appreciate the Tikka T3 Lites... fun, cheap rifles that shoot very well. Both have their place.

Eric

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep I want a Tikka too, in. 223. Or one of the other plastic guns. Great tools from what I gather. I'll tote my Model 70 when hunting big game though, LOL I'll get bashed for this but I'm not taking a trophy pic with a Tikka! All kidding aside to me its not only how the rifle shoots, it is how it feels, handles and functions. Last but not least , how it looks is important. I like my rifles, bought for the cartridge they were chambered in and the rifle. Winchester's, Mauser and Remington. All cost me more than a Tikka, for a reason. wink

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Just saw this....I'm sorry! blush smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM

[Linked Image]

Man that is a badass rifle. Love that pic!

If I had to choose one or the other I'd go with the pre-64 M70... because they DO shoot very well and like BSA, I love the heart and soul of wood/blue steel. But I also appreciate the Tikka T3 Lites... fun, cheap rifles that shoot very well. Both have their place.

Eric

Thanks Eric, but you know you want to show how that rifle you bought from me shoots grin. I agree with you though, the tikka's are just plain damn accurate rifles with nice slick actions. I like them too. I'm not going to show pics of how my win model 70's shoot but here's how this Ruger m77 338 win mag shoots:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Definitely not a "1 hole group internet" rifle, but it sure is bad elk medicine!!

Hell, this isn's a win model 70 either but a lowly ol CZ550 chambered in 9.3x62mm and it shoots like this:

[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/1118120922_zps51f9790f.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/003-71.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/002-86.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/001-97.jpg[/img]

I have better things to do with my time than post pics of how my win model 70's shoot...

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I've been thinking about a CZ550 American, but want a firm cheek weld. That looks like a nice low mount.

By the way, I've handled but not fired a T3. Personally my M70 just feels better in my hands.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA - Do you rework/bed all of your rifles? They all seem to shoot! cool

Eric

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Just saw this....I'm sorry! blush smile

Thanks Bob!

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Eric

Yes sir. I don't shot them until they are properly bedded...Well, I can't say that: My pre 64 270 fwt is all original and it will probably stay that way. I'm working on a shooter stock for that one at the moment though. I bought the stock from a good guy here (oregon45) and I'm refinishing it and throwing a repro winchester red pad on it...Yes, that stock will be bedded up right...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Eric

Yeah, but the pre 64 375 H&H isn't shooting as good as your BRNO yet!!!!!!!:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll have to fine tune this load so it will shoot more like a Tikka...It's almost as accurate as your BRNO though grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use my rifles as "tools" as well, but also take a certain amount of pride in ownership too: That means I take care of my chit..

Amen brother!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.