Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rost495
actually there are a LOT more authentic ones otu there than you might now. Armorers made a bit of spare change on the side working on them for buddies and competitors and such.

Now that we know its an actual built NM and not just a "gold cup" thing, got any clue of accuracy, barrel rounds fired etc? And how much is the price.

You can PM me the info if you like.

I had one once, a buddy had it done at Ft Benning while he was still in, but he bought it back from me...

Jeff,

I had a 45 built by an older gentleman,(Jack Maples) that was the best pistol armorer the USAMTU ever had,. Gun was built for a friend who sick and couldn't pay. When it was offered to me I jumped. When I got my hands on it, with match it was an honest 2" gun at 50 yards through the ransom rest. 10 shots were grouped the size of a silver dollar.
I still have it and would like to compete, but now will wait to get my hands on a M-9.

Best Regards,

Lee Land

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lee, the M 9, other than its obnoxious size grips, to my hands anyway, is hands down a winner over the 1911.. I have neither that I personally own, but wished like hell I owned a Kidd M9......

When you want to sell the 1911, I would purchase, finish my last 10 leg points, and thank God I got a hard leg for the first points( that probably isn't even required anymore....) and could sell it back to ya. Grins.

Good luck on the quest. I wish I'd have pushed myself to shoot at least a 4th pistol match and probably would be done by now. I'm betting the Kidd 9mm was probably an honest 1 inch to 1.5 inch gun at 50 as well as it shot.

Keep your head down as they say, watch your six.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here's a Kidd M9, built by him when he was at the AMU. It'll shoot into 1.5" or so at 50 yds from a machine rest. It's issued to me; I shot it this year at Perry.
Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
thats a left nut, no both nuts picture... oh what I'd give for one....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If i were to chase a pistol leg, I'd get a 92 built by "doc Nick". Zins shoots his guns. That's good enough for me.

Last edited by ChrisF; 10/10/13.
IC B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ChrisF
If i were to chase a pistol leg, I'd get a 92 built by "doc Nick". Zins shoots his guns. That's good enough for me.

We have several "Doctor Nick" guns...not very good. They're all slated for rebuild early next year at Benning by the AMU. Major problem with Nick is he doesn't return calls and won't fix his work (after saying he'll get back to us). His quality control isn't the best; two guns have lost their rear sights after less than a 1000 rds...about a month of practice. The best-built guns now are by the Army and Marine Marksmanship Units, and a couple of retired/former military armorers.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 10/10/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone got some BBQ sauce for that Crow I'm eating? That teaches me to talk outside of what I know first hand. Coincidentally, I ran into one of my Bullseye shooting friends. He basically brought me up to speed on Doc Nick and echoed what you're saying. Doc Nick hasn't stood the test of time. He says Sams is the man now!

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rost495
thats a left nut, no both nuts picture... oh what I'd give for one....

Shoot me a PM if you want an M9 built; I know someone here in central TX, trained at the AMU, who has built more than a few M9s. He also works on Hammerlis, Pardinis, Toz, etc. He's the only guy I let touch my target pistols, outside of the AMU Benning gunsmiths.
Bob

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
was lucky to know Jack Maples when I shot Bullseye in the 80s

Outstanding 1911 smith

we were very lucky in Ga to have many of the retired Benning smiths retire here.. many shot on our Ga Teams up at Perry

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I guess I'm going to be in the minority here, but I would go with a 1911 .45 with no reservations. I can't think of any advantage the M9 would offer. There are only a couple of gunsmiths available to civilians capable of producing match quality M9's and they are very expensive. There are many 1911 'smiths who can turn out a match ready pistol. At least for me, the 1911 is easier to shoot.
Phil

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FWIW I've never seen a 1911 ball gun shoot as well as an M9 at 50. Thats important to me. 2-3 inches at 50 for 1911 ball guns, vs 1 inch easy at 50 for a good M9 ball gun.

I wobble enough as it is.

Could get by with about anything at 25.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
PS I hate the feel of the M9 and love the feel of the 1911.

Much like I love an M14 and an AR feels not great. But we shot the AR because it was better in CMP all around.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[quote=rost495]FWIW I've never seen a 1911 ball gun shoot as well as an M9 at 50. Thats important to me. 2-3 inches at 50 for 1911 ball guns, vs 1 inch easy at 50 for a good M9 ball gun"

1" group at 50?, Was that a typo?
Phil

Last edited by TenX; 11/03/13.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Well, it wasn't a typo. I called Sams this morning and he guarantees 1". Live and learn.
Phil

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Like I said the M9s are FLAT amazing.

My first 50 yard offhand score with one was a 94-3x in a leg match. It was about the 3rd time I'd shot the gun or even practiced before the leg match.

If the rapid fire groups would be even close to that score... I just am too much into having to see sights stop and squeeze the trigger... and there isn't enough time for that in 10 seconds X 5 shots.... I yank and I know I yank...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Well, there's a lot more to it than that and I seriously doubt that either you or I can tell the difference between a 1 inch pistol vs. a 3 inch pistol unless we have it in a Ransom Rest.

As I stated earlier, first thing right up is cost. To my knowledge only Kidd and Sams are capable of building the M9 to that level for civilians. And it is expensive, like 2000 plus for a M9 where as plenty of .45 smiths are around and you can get a top notch .45 built for less than 1000. Further, to get the 1 inch accuracy, you have to push the 9mm fast and hard. Accurized M9's seem to have a problem cracking the frames after several thousand of these hot rounds. No problem if you are shooting on a military team and have a gunsmith following you around, but its a big problem for people like me. Also, since you have to push the 9 so hard, recoil is little different than the .45 so you don't gain anything there.

Finally, if you shoot the CMP matches and like them, you will undoubtedly begin shooting NRA conventional pistol where you will shoot .22, centerfire (.32 caliber or larger), and .45. If you want to use the M9 there, only the centerfire portion is available and you've still got to shoot a .45. If you use a .45 for CMP, you could use it in both the NRA centerfire and .45 matches.
FWIW
Phil
Distinguished Pistol badge #880
Presidents 100
Elihu Root Gold Medal

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well, all I've shot are CMP leg mathces and a few bullseye matches in practice for a leg...

I've shot great 45s and 2 great 9s. For me, I could damn sure tell the difference at 50 yards between the 2 guns accuracy issues.

FWIW we never pushed the 9s hard to get the 1 inch at 50.... some may, we didn't have to.

And I'm not a pistol shooter, was just hoping to get my dist pistol badge in 3 matches and out. So no worries on me buying more pistols. I"m a service rifle shooter through and through.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Jeff,

If you need the loan of a good gun to finish your leg, I've got one for you. It's finished by one of the best, Jack Maples from the AMU.Say the word and I'll have my son ship it your way.

Lee

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lee, I may take you up on that. I'll try to remember, I don't have the time to shoot this year, but maybe in the next 1-2 I can dedicate a month or two to practicing, and then go shoot a final( I hope) leg!

Thanks, Jeff

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 57 invisible), 3,268 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.