Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Really you can just cut out the subfloor along with the flooring between the joist, pull up the pieces and then the pieces off the joist. Put the new sub flooring down and so on.... much less time consuming imo.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't think Thompson's will do anything to prevent rot. They used to sell some stuff called Coppertox that did actually work but I don't think you can buy it any longer.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Do not put thompsons on the floor. If you want to do a water proof job for a bath room the way to go is with red guard, two coats. No water will ever reach the subfloor if done correctly.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use a utility knife to score through to the subfloor, make your cuts about the width of whatever you're using to scrape it up. It makes the job so much easier to scrape off a 10" width of lino rather than trying to fight with the whole damned sheet.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
Do not put thompsons on the floor. If you want to do a water proof job for a bath room the way to go is with red guard, two coats. No water will ever reach the subfloor if done correctly.

It looks like Red Guard should go over the backer board, or am I misinterpreting the installation video?

For $135, I'm thinking this may be worthwhile. Our boys are plenty good at getting water everywhere in that bath.

Note to fathers of young boys, about to build a new home: Maybe think "locker room shower" instead of "guest bath".

Scott

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i always use red guard when i build a shower that i'm going to tile. good stuff will work on the floor just as good.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I used to remove asbestos for a living. Even if what you've got has asbestos in it, I wouldn't worry about doing a bathroom. Keep it wet with soapy water as it breaks if you're really worried about it, but I wouldn't.

Heat will help. Scrape up what you can, a long handle will help, then use a heat gun on the tough parts.

What do you do if the mastic also contains asbestos?

Scrape it up and not worry about it. Put it in your kitchen trash bag and toss it in the can. We used to wet it down with something nasty (I can't remember now hat it was) and buff the floor with a buffer and coarse pad, then squeegee it into snow shovels and bag it up.

It's the fibers in asbestos that get you. If a human hair was 40' in diameter an asbestos fiber would be 1/2". It takes a lot of exposure to build up scar tissue in your lungs. Fibers contained in the mastic don't break free as easily as something that crumbles. The surfractants in the dish soap will help break down the surface tension of the water to keep the fibers from getting airborne.

We had to wear air quality monitors while working and NEVER had a sample come back on a floor job that would've required us to even wear masks by OSHA standards, for what that's worth. It's just one bathroom, scrape it and don't worry.

The real harm in removal is in industrial applications where it was used as high temp insulation. Over time it breaks down and when you break it free it'll usually crumble, some of it just poofing into a cloud of killya. You really do have to be careful with that stuff. The big tanks are done in a fully contained negative pressure poly enclosure with battery powered positive pressure full face masks. THAT'S miserable work. They kept the machinery running until we were done and we had one job with a guy who's only responsibility was to keep patching holes in the poly wall that kept melting (it melted at 350*).

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.