Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
After hiking all over Southern Idaho this fall in my old Denim Camo pants (occasionally soaked - often cold) I'm starting to consider some of the high tech fabric pants. Are they really worth $200+? I'm not worried about any fashion statement but I would really like to find something that performs better than Denim when it is not cold enough for Fleece. I am a tightwad, most of my camo comes from Walmart and I tend to believe that the poly blend there works as good for me as under-armor. I guess what I would like to find is the equivalent or a pant that has the features but does not cost an arm and leg. What's your experience and your favorites. Thanks.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
BP-B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I really like light nylon pants like the REI adventure pants, a tough peach finished nylon material. They are light as a feather, tough, comfortable for hiking uphill, non-water wicking, and quieter than denim. They don't block rose thorns worth a darn though.
I wear them over a merino wool base layer either boxers (expensive but worth it) or long johns (terramars I got on sale at Sierra trading post). The merino underwear doesn't get so terrible smelling with use.

If it gets cold, (<single digits), when it gets wet out, or I am sitting and glassing for a long time I have some over pants from Rivers West to slip on. I was given a set of Cabelas Microtex pants and have seen good reviews of them but I haven't worn them yet. For still hunting in the timber I still use Johnson brand wool pants. The original pair is 30 years old and still usable but worn might thin in few places.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my understanding from those ive talked to that have used Sitka Gear(and Sitka Geat only) is that if you are hunting in wet conditions it is absolutely great to have and worth the money......if however you are hunting in typical dry northeast Montana conditions its prolly a bit of a waste.....

thats what i got from a handful of guys ive talked to that have been using it....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Depends on how/when you hunt I suppose.

I can tell you with some assurance that quality clothing assists in my success while hunting.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Having had and used both Sitka and Kuiu, I much prefer Kuiu. Great gear and worth the money. The Kuiu attack pant is incredible. I would add that I am not a big fan of the Kuiu merino as I feel you can get much better value from Minus 33, Smartwool, etc.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There are a lot of good alternatives to cotton that don't cost an arm and a leg. This year I wore some medium weight nylon pants made by North Face. It rained every day but they were comfortable and dried quick. Cabela's Microtex is pretty good and affordable too. I don't personally see the need to spend the $$ for Sitka or Kuiu, and I own both.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Check REI and the variety of soft shell hiking pants they carry from Patagonia, Marmot, REI, and Mountain Hardware. These are the same technologies that Sitka and KUIU are leveraging, but because they are delivered to a much larger market you can find them on clearance.

I bought a pair of Mountain Hardware Nima pants for $65 on closeout....they retail for north of $150 and are some of the best pants I've owned.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have Kuiu, Sitka, Day One, Cabelas, etc and my favorite is the Core4 on Camofire! They sell other brands as well just watch but I think being comftorble doing what I enjoy makes the price worth it.

Good Shooting!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
The Kuiu attack Pant with the thigh vents are incredible for warmer weather hunts when you are active. The crotch on my Sitka Ascent pants have come apart twice at the seam.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
tag

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
It's about survival... If you're always able to walk a short distance home or to your truck, you could wear cotton and just (plan to?) go home if you get wet. If you're away from civilization, one better have a waterproof shell and some layers that dry more quickly / have some warmth when wet...

All depends on where you hunt I guess. I usually hunt where getting lost means I could be out for a night in any weather, and hypothermia isn't on my approved list of ways to die - so I buy very good gear. Shell, layers, etc...guys that hunt on family land near their house or whatever have a different culture. My buddy has hunted on family land his whole life and called me a gear whore. Miles up a mountain in TN when his sweat soaked cotton clothes were still sweat soaked hours later he was talking of upgrading his hunting gear. And that was dry and sunny weather - imagine if it started to rain and the temps dropped? Just depends on the situation..

I've found that this style hunting (hike a long way in rugged terrain, then stop and sit for a few hours motionless at dusk while temps drop) to be the very hardest clothing situation to accommodate.

Last edited by 68Shooter; 11/09/13.

Psuedo-Random Number Generator: 6.8 .338 .375 .45
Psuedo-Random Truck Generator: V8 Toyota w/ Overland Warehouse - Torsen - BFGoodrich
Go out and get it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 68Shooter
I've found that this style hunting (hike a long way in rugged terrain, then stop and sit for a few hours motionless at dusk while temps drop) to be the very hardest clothing situation to accommodate.

This is why I first started carrying a pack on hunts. Then a bigger pack, and a "little farther in".......

Originally Posted by BeanMan
The crotch on my Sitka Ascent pants have come apart twice at the seam.

Same thing happened with mine.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I used First Lite base layers and their Kanab pants for some fall scouting hikes (very wet) and for a 8 night/9 day hunt in the back country. Yes, it seemed a little expensive while I was purchasing the gear. But, after the hunt, I was very happy with the results and don't regret spending the money.

My hunting partner used some Kuiu Attack pants, and was equally satisfied.

YMMV,
Steve

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have not seen a situation here in BC hunting where I thought that Sitka or Kuiu gear would improve my safety, comfort or hunting success. I certainly have no quarrel with anyone who chooses to buy and use this gear wherever they may hunt, but, I consider it over-priced and the fitting is not workable for many hunters as they seem to think that only 20-something boy models actually hunt and wear clothing designed for that purpose.

Certainly, one DOES require GOOD gear for hunting in the mountains and in any remote area, where you may be dependent on just yourself and a partner to cope with any emergencies/injuries, but, this does not mean that one MUST buy and wear 1000s of $$$$$ worth of the latest, "high tech" and "kewl" clothing.

For, general uses, I find Cabela's Micro-Tex to be both functional and reasonable in cost and for colder conditions, I like Filson's woolen pants as well as the merino base layers/tops made by several firms, "Ice Breaker" has been my favourite and I like to wear 2-4 thinner layers rather than one heavy one or even WPB shell clothing, these under HH Impertech in the worst rain...and, I am going to buy a grey "Neoshell" parka from Westcomb, as this stuff is just incredible, based on over a year using my "APOC" in Vancouver's WET climate.

So, there are LOTS of options, I also like the light, peached nylon pants for a lot of outdoor stuff and, costly, but, superb and US-made, NOT china stuff, the "tactical" clothing from "Wild Things".

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Huntr
The Kuiu attack pant is incredible.

Ditto.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you can live without a camo pattern, there are lots of "high tech" options out there for less money. I love Marmot softshell pants depending on the vegetation (lots of catclaw here in AZ).

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
There are a lot of good alternatives to cotton that don't cost an arm and a leg...Cabela's Microtex is pretty good and affordable too...

I agree Cabela's Microtex are my favorite pants. Don't own Sitka or Kuiu pants. Have some of the lightweight Russel APX pants, but overall I think Microtex is the best bang for your dollar. Dries quick,fairly warm, tough as denim, doesn't fade, breathable but keeps some wind out (go with the full weight).

Isaiah 6:8

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
you can resale them

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think that just about ANYTHING will be better than your denims. Watch the sales (and thrift stores) for modern fabrics that are rugged and will shed water. Lots of good options nowdays!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
D
DZG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Centershot,

Try looking at Sporthill 3SP hunting pants. They are less money than Sitka and Kuiu,
And they many sheep hunters favorite pants.

Last edited by DZG; 11/09/13.

Hunting is about everything you do before you pull the trigger.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.