Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://allpoetry.com/poem/8495913-Sea-Fever-by-John_Masefield

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

---------------------------------------------------------------
As Roger Taylor said in response to criticism of his essays, "The Elements of Seamanship", the sea has such power that even consummate seamanship may not be enough.

The song is haunting, and when I find myself with it in my head when I am on the sea, I feel like I am breaking a taboo.

The height of a wave is the least useful part of knowing its danger, period is a far more informative indicator of it's ass kicking potential.

[Linked Image]

I spent five years on the 4,500 ton vessel when she was new and named the R/V Shell America.

[Linked Image]

I bought this Salmon troller in July, a steel 42 footer. First boat I went out to work on back in high school. Well Maintained over the years, I am putting new fuel tanks in her and cleaning up the engine room right now.

Last edited by siskiyous6; 11/10/13.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Standing on the shores of Lake Superior, especially on the Ontario side where Rte 17 runs right along the Lake, it is not hard to stare out there especially when the wind is blowing and the sky is grey and heavily over cast, and that song just seems to pop up into your head...

pretty darn eerie....

I use to have a 24 Sea Ray Cabin cruiser when I lived back in Minnesota... I had that boat out on Lake Superior once out of Ashland Wisconsin and once our of Grand Marais MN.....

talk about feeling like a note in a bottle....and pretty insignificant....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
siskiyous6, Thanks You!
Yes, that is the poem that I remembered a scrap of, but couldn't remember who wrote it to look it up.

I take it that you are, or were a Merchant Seaman?
That stuff can get in your blood, but it can get badly in the way of family life. We were away from home roughly nine months out of the year, and only had a few hours in port to load or unload. Not only that, but the routes could vary, so the port calls could be different from one trip to the next.

Is your new boat a commercial venture or just a fun boat? Congratulations either way!

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
gitem_12,
The bay and Havre De Grace are pretty close to where I went to communication school at Bainbridge,(Long since demolished.) It was just up the hill from Fort Deposit if I remember correctly. It was a boot camp for Navy Waves, (although scaled back in size) (females for those that don't know) Some of it had been abandoned for some time before I was there in 1964, but there were some service schools and still some functional barracks.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
109 members (375sunrise, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1911a1, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 516 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,431
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.