Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Lots of dumbazzes in the shooting world! This is proof!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

[quote]

Increasing the volumetric capacity of your system(GarandGear), or bleeding the excess off(McCann or Shuster), will allow you to eliminate or significantly reduce any problems you may have. Keep the reciprocating speed near design parameters and your parts will last.

Thanks. And Barry, double lugs make a lot of sense. I believe the stock in the OP's vid was laminate.

A 35 Whelen Garand with a Medesha scout scope mount would be too cool.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tim LeGendre of LeMag in Fenton MI was making these back in the '90's. He was fired up about the prospect of South Korea cutting loose all of those Garands and Carbine. Clinton made sure they never came here. Tim went on to the AR platform and designed the .45 Professional which is the .450 Bushmaster.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No practical use for this except to be able to tell your bubbas you've got one. 'Seems about as useful as a solar powered ash tray.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gophergunner
No practical use for this except to be able to tell your bubbas you've got one. 'Seems about as useful as a solar powered ash tray.

hell of a pig gun.....was watching Boddington hunt water buff and feral cattle in the Philippines with a M14 a couple weeks ago on TV and while the 308 wasnt ideal the semi-auto rifle in the close quarters of the dense vegitation they were hunting made it work good....a M1 in 458 would be even better.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rattler
hell of a pig gun.....was watching Boddington hunt water buff and feral cattle in the Philippines with a M14 a couple weeks ago on TV and while the 308 wasnt ideal the semi-auto rifle in the close quarters of the dense vegitation they were hunting made it work good....a M1 in 458 would be even better.....

Rattler, sadly the professional hunter that Boddington was with was gored very badly after that hunt with Craig. I believe he is alive and recovering back here stateside.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
oh that sucks......given the conditions they were hunting in i can see it happening....they were dealing with those bulls at damn near powder burn ranges at times....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Rifle Magazine had an article years ago by a S. African game warden who had stopped several Cape Buff's. About half with a 375 and the other half with an FAL. Don't recall the ammo.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G

Why does practicality have to have anything to do with it?

If someone wants one for the sake of havingnone. That should be practical enough to build it. Unless I missed where it said your opinion matters to anyone but you!

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just like we need guys to go to strip clubs so the "soiled doves" can work their way through college, we need guys to commission rifles like this to keep gunsmiths from becoming windmill mechanics. grin

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 35 Whelen Garand with a Medesha scout scope mount would be too cool.

I have seen one of these, though w/o the scope, and you are right, it is cool.

Another poster mentioned the practicality of a laminated stock. There are some nice ones available and it would certainly be beneficial in something like this. It would hold up better and would increase the Garand's already considerable weight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Why does practicality have to have anything to do with it?

If someone wants one for the sake of havingnone. That should be practical enough to build it. Unless I missed where it said your opinion matters to anyone but you!

I don't recall saying it ever did matter to anyone but me-but apparently it matters to you or you wouldn't have gotten your little g-string in a bunch!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
No but you stated that there was NO practical use for it. I asked whybthete had to be a practical use. And if someone wanted on just to have one. Wasnt that practical enough

By the phrasing of your statement you leave interpretation of your statement to be the end all be all as if your opinion should carry weight

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
A 35 Whelen Garand with a laminate stock would do nicely for Christmas. Double down with a 338 Fed in M1A and I'd be a happy man.

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Flfiremedic
A 35 Whelen Garand with a laminate stock would do nicely for

Christmas. Double down with a 338 Fed in M1A and I'd be a happy man.

I almost picked up an M1A SOCOM the other day. But i couldnt figure out a way to itemize in in my uniform allowance

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Should still get the tax write off...

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not that I'm interested in one, but if I were going to own one it would be in either a laminated or a carbon fiber thumbhole stock with a magna ported barrel to handle the recoil and yes it would be like comparing apples to oranges but the thumbhole walnut stock and magna porting sure did go a long way in taming the felt recoil on my 300 Weatherby.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
McCann Industries in Wa who makes this also makes a wicked carbon fiber stock for the Garland.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
While the m1 Garand was to be basically a .270, all that ammo is what influenced the decision for 30.06.

Pedersen measured it at the lands, it's a 7x51 more like a lightly loaded 7mm-08. Too bad Garand didn't chamber it in 6.5 Sweed, THAT would have made a great combo and might have been worth issuing as is.

Edit: Hey I just learned something. Went reading about the Pedersen rifle and he also had a 6.5mm version. The mil tested both his cartridges against the 30-06 and the 6.5 was the most lethal of the three, on pigs anyway. Bet it had less recoil and the best trajectory too. But the mil preferred the 7mm version, then dropped that one too.

Last edited by Bigfoot; 11/12/13.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd also like to know how they got a .458" hole in an M1 barrel.

Even in .30", those things are thin at the muzzle!

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

616 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,071 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,266
Posts18,448,266
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.