-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
While looking up various scope mounting options for y being rebuilt FN Commercial rifle in 257Weatherby, I came across a scope base I had not seen before or heard of, for sale

The bases are Leupold "Quick Release" units and they look very interesting.

Here is the ???? What rings do they take? The holes in the middle look like they accept the dual dovetail type rings. IF that is the case (but this would make FAR too much sense for the manufactrues to do, wouldn't it?) then I will probably order a set of these as I am finding it difficult to locate a set of Dual Dovetal bases for this rifle. These Quick Release bases would be COO-EL if they accept my already purchased rings (posi align nylon insert Burris rings - my favorites)

Thanks for the help and intel!

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They take Leuold's QR rings my man.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been running them a long time......nifty set up for also having a spare scope zeroed in on the rifle prior to going on a long or out of state hunting trip and you want to take a back-up scope with you.
IME, they always return to zero no matter how many times you switch scopes in and out

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
Been running them a long time......nifty set up for also having a spare scope zeroed in on the rifle prior to going on a long or out of state hunting trip and you want to take a back-up scope with you.
IME, they always return to zero no matter how many times you switch scopes in and out

^^^ +1 ^^^

They have a lever built into the base of the rings so you can flip and pull your scope to replace with another as noted by BlackDog, or some people use them to pull the scope and go with irons for awhile.................
Good luck with your gun smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Have em on two Remington 700's and a Knight ML as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
THANKS for all of the help, guys!

Tere sure a an, nice looking set up! And with those steel post should be rugged.

I am up to my ears in Burris Signature Posi Align rings (just luv 'em) so will have to keep looking for some DD bases for my FN rifle.

RE bacup scopes......For a very long time, when travelling to Africa or the wilds of Alaska I used QD type scope bases, including some of the old designs. THEN, I discovered Burris Posi Lock Scopes and after about 6 or 8 trips of hauling extra scopes that I NEVER needed or used -other than as trade bait against trophy fees after a hunt- I quite the QD systems and quit carrying extra scopes.

To me, now (If one is using REALLY GOOD scopes - better than Leupold) to begin with an extra scope is, to me, like having a kick starter backup on a motorcycle or a crank start shaft for starting a car. We just don't - again IF really good optics are chosen - need the back ups any longer.

Thanks again for all of the intel and help, so fast!

Last edited by safariman; 11/09/13.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have these Leupold QR mounts on a few rifles, Remington 7s and 700s and Winchester/USRA 70s, but have one caution to anyone considering them, that the locking levers are rather fragile. I had a set on a Husqvarna built S&W "C" in 256 Newton that was leaning against the workbench and fell over onto the carpeted floor, snapping the levers off both the front and rear bases. While I'm sorry that it happened, I'm REALLY glad that it happened in the gun room, rather than in the field. Despite their faults, I think that the Warne Maxima QR rings are a more rugged design.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've got these on my .458. They've held up to 60 or so shots so far with no signs of problems.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ran a set on a BAR with irons for a while. One of the base levers would works itself loose and required more and more forward cranking. I agree with 260Rem...go with Warne.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine work fine with the levers intact, but not at all with the levers snapped off. The small, fragile, levers make me a little nervous, but I'm the only guy who I know to have snapped them off.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I run them on my 9.3 x 62 ,based on a commercial FN action. Like them lots yet have one complaint, the rear base extends over the loading port bout 3/8 of an inch. Doesn't affect anything buts a visual distraction to me.
Ordered some S&K's for my Sako FN 300 H&H mag project and explaining to the tech my issue with the Leupold QR bases, he machined the rear to come flush with the rear bridge.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Here, the QR's are holding the 1.75x6 on top of my Pre 64 M70 in 9.3x62. Absolutely love them!

Alan

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (1OntarioJim, 22kHornet, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 26 invisible), 1,551 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,501
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.