Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
SAS: I think your assessment is spot on�Ive only offered a 'sample of one'�Im gonna try a few more myself...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B6

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
SAS, that exit hole youre showing is what i was expecting to get. i bet we're shooting at the same velocity too (im using 26 g varget). the rabbit was about 120 yds downrange

Groundhog was 125ish. 26.2 of Varget. Pretty darn close...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
You know cameras are much smaller now,than when you had them in the 1860's. whistle

grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
SAS: I think your assessment is spot on�Ive only offered a 'sample of one'�Im gonna try a few more myself...

I wasn't disputing you in any way. I think others misinterpreted you post. I was actually agreeing with you.

I'm gonna shot a deer with the bullet within the next week and see what happens!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
The bullet retained 60 of 64 grains...hardly "grenaded" in my opinion. One guy, two bullets and one dead deer. I'd not give up so easily.

The first pic is a groundhog killed with the 64 BSB. The second pic is the exit hole. Far from an exploding bullet IMO.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I expect the damage upon entrance was due to frontal diameter. The bullet is fairly blunt.

Here is a pic of the bullet sectioned. I did this as soon as I grabbed some to see what they looked like inside. I doubt they'll blow up easily.

[Linked Image]

Nice. What type of groups you getting with those in your Kimber? A new Kimber Montana 223 is going to be my xmas present to myself. grin

IC B2

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

I wasn't disputing you in any way. I think others misinterpreted you post. I was actually agreeing with you.

I'm gonna shot a deer with the bullet within the next week and see what happens!

No worries SAS�..Always figured if you disputed me, it would be loud, and profane. Something like YOU STUPID #@!&*^%$#!!!!!! grin laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Nice. What type of groups you getting with those in your Kimber? A new Kimber Montana 223 is going to be my xmas present to myself. grin [/quote]

I need one as well (Montana .223)...

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
You know cameras are much smaller now,than when you had them in the 1860's. whistle

First off: GFY

Secondly, just for you guys, I went to my office, picked up my camera, and took this pic of the 64 gr Nosler Bullet in question.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nothing explosive-looking about that one as far as I can see. Looks like it held together as designed and mushroomed perfectly. Can't wait to try one of them on a doe myself.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Nope, it sure didn't 'grenade'�.but damage was all out of proportion to bullet hole crazy

That said Ive noticed a recurrent phenomenon with TSXs��.Placed precisely through the ribs, well forward of the diaphragm, they pop the diaphragm more often than not, and when I start dressing the animal south to north I see all kinds of blood in the gut cavity and usually say 'WTF?"

My sample of one with this bullet implies something similar�.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Someday when my .22 grows up I hope it can shoot the Nosler 64.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
BD, you know�..it will kick a LOT harder than CB caps�.. wink

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Secondly, just for you guys, I went to my office, picked up my camera, and took this pic of the 64 gr Nosler Bullet in question.

[Linked Image]
Got a "GFY" from Ingwe,life is good. cool

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've popped my share of diaphragms too.....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

[Linked Image]

That looks good!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've popped my share of diaphragms too.....

Don't show us pictures of your mushroom....

Last edited by shortactionsmoker; 11/17/13.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Glad to hear its not just me Scott�..never figured the phenomena out,but it damn sure happens frequently, and doesn't affect the meat or the ultimate outcome�just a curiosity �...

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Uh-oh�getting old here�I think I just missed a double entendre�... blush

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yes you did

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Schitt I hate getting old�.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,985 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.