Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Looking at a duck dog that is not big that can also be a decent upland dog. I think a boykin would serve me the best but haven't any experience with them. Are they hardheaded and tough to train? Or are they easy to train?

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great little Spaniel if one can find one out of strong hunting bloodlines.

Be careful.

Addition: In that they never were overly popular and today they are becoming more so and some breeders are not all that particular in their breedings. Pick your pup with that in mind.

Last edited by battue; 11/20/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
If I can train a Boykin anyone can. They are truely awesome dogs as hunters and companions. The only problem with a Boykin is when you lose one it will just about kill you. They really develop a close bond with their owners. Findind a Boyking with hunting bloodlines is easy in the Carolinas. I would start with Pam Kaldic. Pam actually wrote a book on hunting with Spaniels. She is a great trainer and produces some great dogs. We got our Boykin from her. Check out a Boykin Spaniel Retreiver Club Field Trial. There will be lots of nice folks and dogs there to get you started. Good luck

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yep the South is a good place to start.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A friend of mine has one and it is a sweetheart as a pet and is a good hunter. He claims it doesn't shed. It's a very friendly dog that gets along well with people and other dogs.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll second Pam's operation(and book). If she doesn't have a litter, she'll know where a good one is. Fantastic little dogs with a huge heart and personality.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
20-25 years ago they had the highest incidence of hip dysplasia of any hunting breed (small gene pool).....hopefully breeders have corrected that, but I would STRONGLY suggest looking for dogs whose parents and grandparents were OFA certified.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Breeders have gotten a TON better about hips lately. Just make sure that the parents and potentially the grandparents had their hips done at the least.

Here is a link to Pam's website.
http://boykinspaniel.com/

Last edited by quackaddict; 11/21/13.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another good dog to look into if you're looking at Boykins is the American Water Spaniel. Another great little breed.

J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
My buddy uses his for turkey hunting and its a great dog. I'm planning to get one soon.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought clintsfolly would chime in on this one!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are two distinct boykin bloodlines. One stems from one dog and they tend to be very wire haired with long legs. Stay away from those! Hard headed and buck wild.

The others will make the best hunting dog you have ever seen.

Google boykin spaniel society and go to one of there recommended breeders. There is a second boykin group that pushed AKC recognition and standards. Stay with the boykin society breeders. Chris and Joni Bishop in Goose Creek SC are tops and I got a great dog from them that was a top hunter for 13 years. I am in the process of looking for another in 6 months when I retire.

FWIW The real Boykin spaniel society was established in 1977 and has a website since at least 1990. The other recommended breeder's website says they are the original boykin site and established in 1996. smile like I said two boykin groups fighting. IMO stay with boykin spaniel society breeders.

Last edited by BountyHunter; 11/28/13.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
can anyone recommend any breeders? we're looking for a boykin ourselves.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Pam Kadlic at Just Ducky Kennels. She bred out Boykin. The sire was Edistos Rebel Colonel. They called him R.C. Her dogs are the best and she is a great lady. If we ever get another Boykin that is where I am going for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kadlec*, and she is a super nice lady with super nice dogs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't dismiss a toller great dogs for both waterfowl and upland.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My wife and I had a Boykin in our life for 8 yrs and loved every minute of it!! Sadly she lost control of her hindquarters. After a lot of talk with the vets we had to have her but down. You will never find a better friend and pet to share your life with! Lilly we will always miss you.Clint

just for Fun
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm kinda partial to Boykin's myself!

Mule Deer, "Yeah, real men don't flinch, especially gun writers!"

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Boykins will always be my first love. I had a Boykin for 6 years until I lost him to leukemia. Boykins have a lot of energy and require that you get them out daily to run some of it off. They absolutely love water and make a great duck and upland bird dog. They respond well to consistant training and are very loyal and want to please. Spaniels can be hard-headed at times so patience is required to bring thme along. They have a tough time handling geese though due to size. Mine worked close and was tremendous on pheasants. They'll flush turkeys as well and in states where hunting with a dog is legal, hunters use them to break a flock and then call birds back. Historically that's why their tails are docked so they won't rustle leaves when they see a turkey being called in. Mine was a terrific house dog as well and my best friend. There aren't many in Pa. But if I found another from good hunting stock, I'd have another one.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
thanks gents and welcome basdjs.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i managed to findone over new years in batob rouge. what a neat breed, been a real pleasure so far.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Take a look at the Wachtelhund. I've got a litter that will be ready in late February.

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Your Wachtelhunds look great! I bet they are super hunters and companions. I also bet that you pups go quick!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tim M

Chris and Joni Bishop Goose Creek Kennels in SC

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BountyHunter
Originally Posted by Tim M

Chris and Joni Bishop Goose Creek Kennels in SC

I think they may be named Goose Pond Boykins.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
We have a new litter of Boykin pups on the ground They will be ready 1st of May.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have one male Boykin pup ready to go!
PM for info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
829 members (10gaugemag, 12308300, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 85 invisible), 3,247 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,186
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.