Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Can anyone tell me EXACTLY what model Lyman sight fits a 71? I know the 56A does but I "think" the 66 does as well. Specific model # would be great guys.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Don't remember the nu, but the one that fit's a mod 86 fit fine, problem was it had wheels for adjusting which when rubbed against brush or clothing self adjusted. Found an old redfield at local gunshop which works great.Tried one of the new williams peep sights, stripped when tightend.Have one of the new win mod 71's and am thrilled with it.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The 56 is the right one, The 66 is a bit small and you have to have the peep way over to the right to center over the bolt.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A post war 71 I just looked at wore a 56. I didn't see an "A" marked on it after the number.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Jorge,

I have one on a Miroku '86. I'll double check when I get home from the office.

DF

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I just checked my '86 (same receiver as '71) and it has a Lyman 66A. There is about 5/8" of windage adjustment thread, left of the aperture housing, probably 1/4" to the right. So the aperture is to the right of center in the windage adjustment slot.

The windage plate/bridge, including windage adjustment knob, is flush with the right side of the receiver, no overhang.

A 56 will probably have a longer windage plate to center the aperture in the windage slot. It will probably over hang the right side of the receiver by 1/4" or so. Would like to get that info from a 56 owner.

56 is probably the right one, 66 works very well and I would probably keep the 66, even if I had a 56. I like the way it fits the gun, flush on the right, without overhang.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 06/10/14.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks very much. Those 56s are impossible or very hard to find!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think you'll be happy with a 66. I am.

DF

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I just ordered a 66 that fits the 86 so I should be set. Thanks!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Jorge,

If you need more photos, such as a view from the top, let me know. My description is pretty accurate and you can probably visualize what you need to.

DF

IC B3

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll let you know. I took some measurements and I'm positive that sight will also fir a M1895 Winchester as well.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Is the action thickness about the same?

DF

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
yep. Once it gets here I'm going to try it out and report back

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
FWIW Lyman 66's were made in different configurations to suit a lot of flat side receivers. For a 71 you need one that suits the 86 (same width receiver), but current production is made from aluminum alloy whereas older models were made from steel.

Other alternatives are the Lyman 56 and Redfield also made aperture sights to suit the wide 71/86 receivers, but they are hard to identify as they had no markings. You really need to see them along side your rifle to make sure its wide enough.

If you aren't going to change loads and stick to one load/setting the XS peep sights are worth considering. They are probably more robust as the aperture arm of any of the side hung peep sights are exposed and can bend.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Just came in and it's installed, replacing the Williams. Naturally I'm now paranoid it won't shoot as well. Such is the life of a rifle loon! smile

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Shot the rifle today boys, all it took was ONE windage correction to the left and I was cutting bullseyes with both the 200gr Hornady FP and Flex Tips as well as the 250 Barnes Originals. Happy Camper!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Just came in and it's installed, replacing the Williams. Naturally I'm now paranoid it won't shoot as well. Such is the life of a rifle loon! smile

Any issues with the Williams, or just looking for a more "original" sight?

Sycamore

...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JFE
FWIW Lyman 66's were made in different configurations to suit a lot of flat side receivers. For a 71 you need one that suits the 86 (same width receiver), but current production is made from aluminum alloy whereas older models were made from steel.

Other alternatives are the Lyman 56 and Redfield also made aperture sights to suit the wide 71/86 receivers, but they are hard to identify as they had no markings. You really need to see them along side your rifle to make sure its wide enough.

If you aren't going to change loads and stick to one load/setting the XS peep sights are worth considering. They are probably more robust as the aperture arm of any of the side hung peep sights are exposed and can bend.

JFE, I see on the website that the XS sight for the 95 requires the bolt be drilled and tapped, but their sight for the 71/86 requires the receiver to be drilled and tapped.

Have you seen the Skinner sight? They don't mention the 95, but show the rear sight mounted on the receiver of an 86.

http://www.skinnersights.com/winchester_26.html

[Linked Image]

...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Lads, back at it agin only this time it's for the Browning 71. I found a 66 (not an A) but can you guys tell if it will fir the 71? I'm not sure given the picture.66

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just sold a Lyman 66 that i took off of a new production Mod. 71 Deluxe. A nice sight , but I prefer the small unobtrusive XS receiver sight. I had the receiver drilled and tapped for the XS sight. If I was using different bullet weights I would of kept the easier to adjust Lyman 66, but I'm only using 250 grain heavy jacketed Kodiaks in my .348 Ackley Imp. version. So I zeroed the XS sight for 100 yards and unless it is some how damaged I will never remove it or have to adjust it.

I am also very fond of the XS front sight with the white line in the middle and the flat top post. I have it on three lever guns and two bolt guns.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

543 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,215
Posts18,447,345
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.