Print Thread
Hop To
T
tx270 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Anybody have any experience with them? Any good?

I picked up a set of NIB bases and rings at a local show this morning from a guy with a good bit of vintage stuff. I vaguely remember them from many years ago in magazine ads but have no experience with them.

They are the ones with the knob sticks up out of base that goes in bottom of the ring with two allen head screws that hold them in place.

They appear well made, all steel and robust.

Made in Australia.

Bill

GB1

T
tx270 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
After researching a little more I see Nikon also sold them under the name Ultralok mount system.

Lynx in Australia made them.

Stll no experience with them myself. Anyone?

Only gave $15 for a two piece 700 base and low rings to go with them, so if they are not any good I'm not out much.

Bill

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have used numerous combinations of the "Tasco" rings/bases made in Australia. All of them have been absolutely great.

I never did try the stud bases though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have some of the Nikon branded rings and bases. Tried them on a couple of rifles but didn't like them as much as Warne Maximas, so off they came. I have several new sets of rings and bases for the Remington 7 and the Marlin 336 in a box somewhere.

Jeff

T
tx270 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Anything in particular where they failed you Jeff or just personal preference.

And Jeff I don't mean anything by that, I'm particular about the same type things, just wondering if there was a failure or something wrong with the design that made you not like them.

Thanks for the reply

Bill

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have had a set on a Savage 110 .30-06 for about twenty years. They came with a Tasco Euro Class 1.5-6 30 mm scope that was made by Hakko. They have never had any issues although they were a bit different to install. They are certainly stout. The rifle has never lost zero. I have several sets of the rings, but cannot find bases anywhere.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have used and seen used quite a few - never had or heard of a problem - just not the correct "brand" - not much snob appeal.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
They were part of Tascos attempt to appeal a higher market. Their name was synonymous with cheap and people did not go for them. The reason I have several sets of these rings is that for a while Tasco packaged the rings free with the World Class scopes. Several of my neighbors bought the scopes and asked me to mount them in their old rings since they already had rings and bases. I kept the unwanted rings.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just didn't like them. I can't remember the specifics, just that I installed them, took them to the range, and shortly after uninstalled them and installed some other bases and rings. Weaver bases and Warne rings on the Marlin 336s and a couple different mix of bases and rings on the Remington 7s.

Jeff

T
tx270 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the replies guys.

Have a 700 project I'm working on now, may give them a try on it.

Bill

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The only issue I had was with the base. My .30-06 is left handed and no one made a left hand base or even a two piece base at the time. The right hand one piece base had the cut put for brass on the right side. I solved the problem by cutting the base into a two piece and reblueing the area I cut. These rings and bases have been impressive in their strength and in holding zero.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
"Tasco" mounts were made in Sydney and rebranded under the names Austinel, Lynx and Tasco.
I don't recall the manufacturer but I toured the plant and used dozens of their mounts on test rifles.
John

I recalled the scope mount company, they were called "Hilver" Mounts" and were made in Chester Hill, in South West Sydney. I believe they moved to South Africa but I am stretching the memory now.

JW

Last edited by AussieGunWriter; 11/25/13.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
I have had a set on a Savage 110 .30-06 for about twenty years. They came with a Tasco Euro Class 1.5-6 30 mm scope that was made by Hakko. They have never had any issues although they were a bit different to install. They are certainly stout. The rifle has never lost zero. I have several sets of the rings, but cannot find bases anywhere.

THAT is a great scope for the money they sold for. I have several.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.