Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8295874 11/27/13
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
has anyone tried this scope or know anyone who has?

I'd be really interested if they went to more than a 14x power, still kinda wanting to try it. 66" of adjustment at 100 yards is nice.

anyone checked these out?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I went to the dumpster, opened the lid, and found a brand new in-the-box Burris of any kind sitting on top of all the trash, I'd just close the lid and walk off.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Then I would come along, and take it out of the dumpster. 'One man's trash is another man's treasure'.

Last edited by trailrider121; 11/27/13.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Rcamuglia,

What specifically don't you like about Burris optics? I have had several over the years but they were all pre-Beretta ownership and USA made. The one 2x7 I still have is the one I gave my father 34 years ago. On one of his last hunts he fell on a slick, steep, trail so hard that it broke the Redfield mount but the scope survived fine. If Burris optics now have a fatal flaw you should let the world know. Your initial response sounded like one of the A-bolt haters knee-jerk responses about Browning rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Responses like this aren't worth even responding too, completely useless.

I have done as well with Burris as I have Leupold, they are a good buy for the money. I am also interested in a a C 4......

Gerry.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had 3 Signatures. Two 8-32 and one 6-24.

They were perfect for glorified Iron Sights. Zero them and leave them. If you needed to dial you were in trouble. I've tested them on my Gunsmith's Board and Jig.

Click values weren't even close. Off by 1/2 MOA at 7 MOA.

The scopes would not return to zero after dialing up and back. At the range you would have to re-zero the scope every time you dialed out.

The worst part (if that can be believed that their service could be worse than their worthless product) was their service. I sent all of the scopes back for repair. They returned them as "repaired" with the same issues.

I believe the head service man was named Josh (?). I called him and let him know the scopes still didn't function and wanted them to stand behind them and replace them. He had to check with superiors. After doing so, they said they would not replace them. They told me to sell them and then they would give me a deal on their top of the line scopes!

There's even more. I had target knobs installed on the 6-24. Not only didn't it function worth chit, but the knobs they installed were worthless for more than 1 turn.

[Linked Image]

If you can see in the pic, the elevation knob dials in 1/8 MOA clicks up to 8. Then to get to -0-, it's only another 1/2 MOA instead of a full MOA between numbers. If you need to dial 9 MOA for a target, you need to move the knob to the 1/2 MOA line between -0- and 1. What a [bleep] Joke.

I told him about this problem and his answer was "Yeah, I've told them about that but they really won't listen"

So, yeah, anything Burris to me is pure chit.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've had several burris scopes and liked them, my current signature 8-32 is great, but is staying on the rife I sold to my brother to do this new build of mine in 280AI.

I wasn't looking for pro or anti burris responses, more directly related to their new C4 line.your opinion on Burris products has been noted, thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was answering a question directed to me from Phasmid and also adding reasoning for my first post.

Their new line of scopes may be fine. If you like them, then I'm sure you will enjoy them.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
So you own an older Burris with limited adjustment range, and tried to make it into a long range scope...? Fail.

I actually own a C4. Tried it on a whim. Mine is the 3-9-30mm model. I really dig the reticle, and so far it has tracked perfectly to 600yds. Haven't tried it further yet.

[Linked Image]

PS. I wouldn't own a Leupold on a dare. You would get better tracking out of iron sights with a ramp.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
So you own an older Burris with limited adjustment range, and tried to make it into a long range scope...?

Got the Burris POS's on rifles I bought from an estate sale. Thought they would at least be good enough to put on a .223 and a 22-250 for some prairie dog shooting fun.

Fail

So an 8-32 with target knobs isn't made by the company to work at long range? I wonder what it's for then. Doesn't matter cuz it doesn't work, as in "function" anyway.

All three have been sent happily on their way. Even found a guy who gave me money for them which is surprising.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've got a C4 4.5-14 and it works and tracks fine. I don't shoot past 500 with it so I'm not sure it would be my first choice beyond that.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The C4 scopes are much different than the old ones. I didn't like the old ones either. The C4 scopes come out of the same factories that put out Nikon and Bushnell. They are the same as the E1 Fullfields but with the dialing turrets. The one I shot at SHOT show on the frigid cold media day dialed perfectly. I like my current E1's but I use the drop reticle so I font need to dial.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I know a few with Signature's who have issues with the adjustments rattling under recoil. The FFII's I have had have been trouble free. I would try one if I needed a varmint scope.

Good Shooting!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ryan
I have two of them. 3x9 and 4.5x14. I have the 4.5x14 on a 257 Weatherby and it works just as advertised. I do not have the 3x9 on anything yet but but have no worries about it working.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
TJay, how far do you shoot with the 4.5-14 C4?

I don't for see a need to go beyond 8-900 yards on big game with this new rifle, so I'm curious how well you like it on the longer shots, not just performance, but is it adequate to see smaller targets at long range? say a coyote at 900?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just bought 3 of the 1" c4 3-9's. They are in a deal for $199 at cabelas with free tactical rings. They were supposed to come with a generic straight moa elevation dial but actually came with one set up for 223/55g. I may end up sending them back if I can't get the plain moa dials for them. Must have been a special deal for cabelas but cabelas doesn't say they come with a 223 dial.

I came across a nice Montana in 270 wsm at a local shop the other day. The price was right so I picked it up thinking I'll rebarrel it to a 6.5 saum later. I had some range pick up brass for 270 wsm and thought I'd break the rule and shoot the donor just to see. Some of my customs haven't shot the best lately so I thought maybe I'll shoot this as is before putting a new barrel on it and rolling the dice again on an expensive bet.

I ended up putting one of the c4's I just bought on this Montana and throwing together a quick load with some 150 partition seconds and 7828. I ran out to the range, took a quick peek down the bore made some adjustments and was on paper at 100 with the first shot. I measured and gave it the adjustments and was zero'd for the next 3 shots which grouped just over 1/2 moa. Seemed like the clicks were on and it held a group.

I'm going to hold off on tearing this barrel off until I see if it'll do it again. For the money the c4 looks like it may have some potential too. I think the reticle is a bit busy but I'm a fan of either a standard duplex or a mildot and I don't like much else.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 11/29/13.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ryan
I have not got to shoot this rifle much yet, took it on the loper hunt but used my new 264 winny with 4.5x14 leupold. Did 500 on the loper. I would be comfortable to 8 or 9 hundred with either scope. With a 200 yd, zero the dial goes to 700 set up for the 257.

I shot my deer with it this at 125 so no dial work needed.

Last edited by TJAY; 11/29/13.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking of magnification and ease of seeing the target at extended distances, and it sounds like they are just fine.

I'm thinking of a 10 or 20 MOA base or maybe signature Zee rings with the inserts to give me max range of travel. might as well use it.

thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. nice thing is it's half the price of the scope I wanted, and they seem to work. if I don't like it I can always go to the mk4. but something tells me I'll like it. thanks guys!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you get a 30mm there is a ton of travel. If you are thinking of the C4 4.5-14, look at the MTAC 4.5-14. A little different reticle and turrets set for MILS. I'm leaning towards one myself.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have the 3-9 1 inch version and there is enough for my 243 AI out to 750 on one revolution. That's a whole lot of elevation, and likely further than I'll shoot it.

Burris Scope Specs

Last edited by David_Walter; 11/30/13.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I wish it had a 16 or 18 max power, I wonder if Burris will make one?
glad to see the positive reviews/results from it. with a very reasonable price tag I think I'll give it a try. I'm really liking what I'm reading so far.

I'll take a look at the MTAC as well, thanks for the suggestion!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Burris needs to ditch the adjustable objective and do a side focus.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The "Posi-lock" was a huge improvement that all Long Range scope manufacturers quickly copied and adopted.

Leupold, Nightforce, Schimdt and Bender, US Optics and Vortex are really thankful of Burris's R&D.

smile

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Burris needs to ditch the adjustable objective and do a side focus.

Completely agree, sucks with scope covers.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The MTAC model comes in a 6.5-20.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
which brings the next question. Mils or MOA?

one thing I like about the C4 is the custom turret cap option. I looked but didn't see it on the MTAC.

also looking at the XTR which is supposedly one heck of a scope too

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The C4 is pretty unique. There are three options for elevation...

1. You can run it with an exposed MOA turret.

2. You can run it with an exposed CDS turret.

3. You can remove the exposed turret and get a cap and run it like a standard scope.

The MTAC has different dials, but I have not seen them in person. I personally have no use for a CDS type dial. Just as easy to refer to a drop chart.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
understandable, that's where the personal preference comes in to play. I am a big fan of the CDS turrets myself, hence the hard look at the C4. I could always go with the MTAC and have a custom made. in fact I'll likely do that.

thanks for the insight and suggestion!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Great thread. It's good to get some fresh information out there. Although not my thread, I appreciate everyone sharing info.

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For out to 500 or so, the CDS style is good to go.

I think that is you practice enough and can dope the wind accurately, that can be stretched to 1,000 yards.

Unless you're actually measuring temp, humidity, and barometric pressure, there is no advantage to dial turning with drop charts over a CDS, at least to me.

John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
well I have my MTAC scope headed my way, should be here saturday. does anyone know of a place that makes custom turrets for these? I'm a long ways away from having one made (laser engraved preferred), but I want to be ready for when I am.

any suggestions?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Google Kenton industries....they have a good reputation...very reasonable

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
already looked, they don't offer one for the MTAC

I sent them an email inquiring about the mtac and got zero response.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ask these guys: infocustomturretsystems.com

They make stick on labels for the turrets that are very nice, three to a pack for like $26 delivered.

They can make one for any turret where you can accurately measure circumference, height, and clicks per revolution.

John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thats my close second choice. I would really like a custom engraved one, looks like I might have to go that route.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
708 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.