Print Thread
Hop To
C
CLB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I just ordered their Gen II expander dies and some mandrels.

If you are using madrels for neck expansion, are you getting better results regarding runout than if you used an expander ball?

I plan on using a touch of imperial in the necks before running them.

Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found they sometimes add to the concentricity issue.....

C
CLB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Interesting. Any thoughts on why that might be?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might have been due to trying to go a bit much over mandrel diameter. Been a while ago, so I don't remember all the details, but I abandoned the practice since.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had good results with the mandrels. I use them before neck turning of course.

Another use that has worked well with no concentricity issues, is for the sizing step.

I have some chamberings I load for that are just hunting rifles. I use standard FL dies. I've found that they give too much neck tension. My process is to size all of my cases without the expander ball then run them all through the expander die/mandrel. It's slightly oversized and gives perfect neck tension at about .002"

I just started into a brand new batch of Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass. I decided not to neck turn or do any other brass prep with this lot and see how they shot. All I did was to run them through the expander die, chamfer the case mouths, prime and load them with my normal load. The brass was about .005" shorter in head space than a fired case, but that was to be expected. I checked concentricity of the unloaded necks and they were perfect. The loaded rounds had no issues either as compared to my carefully prepped match rounds.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CLB
I just ordered their Gen II expander dies and some mandrels.

If you are using madrels for neck expansion, are you getting better results regarding runout than if you used an expander ball?

I plan on using a touch of imperial in the necks before running them.

Thanks.

Yes, much better and I'm using a powdered dry neck lube in lieu of Imperial .... no risk of contaminating the powder and smooth as silk. I removed the expander ball stems from the dies I use a long time ago and haven't looked back.

Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I've had good results with the mandrels. I use them before neck turning of course.

Another use that has worked well with no concentricity issues, is for the sizing step.

I have some chamberings I load for that are just hunting rifles. I use standard FL dies. I've found that they give too much neck tension. My process is to size all of my cases without the expander ball then run them all through the expander die/mandrel. It's slightly oversized and gives perfect neck tension at about .002"

I just started into a brand new batch of Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass. I decided not to neck turn or do any other brass prep with this lot and see how they shot. All I did was to run them through the expander die, chamfer the case mouths, prime and load them with my normal load. The brass was about .005" shorter in head space than a fired case, but that was to be expected. I checked concentricity of the unloaded necks and they were perfect. The loaded rounds had no issues either as compared to my carefully prepped match rounds.

I've also checked the concentricity of necks and cases at every step of the resizing process using both the supplied expander ball stem in die sets and tapered mandrels. IME, I get consistently better concentricity using tapered mandrels. I think a lot of this is due to expansion on the down stroke and the long highly polished taper of the mandrel. I also like the consistent 2 thous. neck tension but also need to add that is in part due to annealing your brass periodically. I have measured the diameters of a couple of expander balls in die sets against a couple of my tapered expanding mandrels and they are the same, that said, other manufacture expanding mandrels may measure up differently.

YMMV,
BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
C
CLB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks guys.

I don't turn necks, but will be using the mandrels in place of the expander ball for sizing in my 7x57 and 280 Rem. If it works like I think it will I can easily buy other caliber mandrels. Consistent neck tension and better concentricity is what I'm after.

You guys know how to measure neck tension from a standard sizing die?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Measure the neck of a loaded round. Measure the neck of a sized case from your die.

The difference equals the amount of neck tension

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,523
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.