N
nmlarry Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Watch4bear
Had a great time between sheep and moose season in Wasilla
We went to the fair this year. Also went to church at Wasilla Bible church.
We also use the airport to send off from.
Bob Graham lives there also one of our guides.
Have a great holiday coming up.
Larry

Love Hunting and Traveling
Buying and Selling Guns
Helping new guys with hunting
GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I would not hunt with this group if it was free. PM me and I would be happy to discuss.

For reference, look at the Sports Afield article from a year ago featuring a sheep hunt with Tom Shankster. There were 12 or so hunters in camp and only 1 hunter shot a sheep�a 13 year old girl. The sheep was barely legal and that�s a stretch. If he is proud of this article, I am sure that he would send you a copy.

I was considering bidding on his donated hunt last year at FNAWS. I had a few drinks with a couple of guides and was talked out of it. Good decision. The article from Sports Afield was discussed over drinks, as I was unaware of its existence.

I also have a personal story from the 2013 season regarding his field antics that my guide reported to the Alaskan State Troopers. There is a strong chain of events that make me question his hunting and guiding ethics. It almost cost me a sheep.

Last edited by kscowboy01; 11/29/13.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The plot thickens! From the sounds of it, this New Mexico guide is going to have to pay Rick to take this thread down! haha

S
S
I just happened on this thread and I felt compelled to comment. I've known Tom since about 2001 and served for a number of years on a local nonprofit board with him. I hunted with Tom Shankster in 2006 and had a fine hunt I killed a 9 1/2 year old ram at 36 yards and saw caribou, grizllies and moose. I wouldn't hesitate to go back. I also know at least a dozen others who have hunted with him. I'm sure there have been issues on some of his hunts and others may have a differing opinion of Tom and his operation. Maybe he and I just connected because we both still have AOL emails? ;-)

Sandbrew

N
nmlarry Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Kscowboy01
Not sure what you are referring to I have been in this sheep camp for 3 entire seasons.
In the 3 years I have been in this camp we have not had a 13 year old girl not only harvest a sheep but not even in camp.
3 years ago we harvested 11 sheep, 2012 we harvested 12 sheep and last year we harvested 11 sheep. Not one of them with any young girl. I was there and helped plug every one with the Trooper. His names Brett .
As for discussing an article over drinks, maybe you had to many drinks and got the story screwed up. I can give some well known hunters and every day hunters that will give great references.
As for Rick Bin we had a very good conversation about my adds to both our satisfaction.
But to the naysayers this is not the first time I have been confronted with third party distractors. I guess after over 30 years of outfitting you are about to get an unsatisfied customer but that goes for anything. Like blaming the car dealer cause you are not happy with your car. All I can say Tom is very fair. This is the only I ever been in over 40 years of hunting that has offered hunter return hunts for things that were beyond his control. Free.
Oh if you ever hunted or harvested a sheep there is a close line in estimating age in some cases and there may have been a few close calls but for the most part our guides are excellent and have an excellent record. I guess if you are really interested get with the troopers and ask about the operation.
Sandbrew has given his prospective thanks.
I am not getting into a pissing match with the dark cyber space unknowns.
So as far as Iam concerned I will only respond to real interested parties.
Also as of today only have a few Moose openings sheep are sold out.
Thanks
Larry

Buying and Selling Guns
IC B2

N
nmlarry Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I reread the post by kscowboy01
Now I get it
He was hunting with another outfitter that tired to infringe on our campsite
We had 2 hunters harvest 2 sheep same time same place.
His outfitter landed and harassed the guiides and packers.
He call the Troopers and they came
They measures and aged the sheep that night
Gusess what both legal
Glad kscownoy shot one.
I believe this maybe what he is referring to.
Just sour grapes his outfitter had to move guys cause he could not find sheep in his main area. Just ask him maybe he will tell the truth.
Larry

Buying and Selling Guns
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
My feelings toward this group stem from the fact that your Super Cub, tail number N6455S (the one featured on the website) and the one we have pictures of from the field was buzzing back in the mountains and less than 15 minutes later, shots were fired where the plane was flying. The next morning, the same Cub back in the mountains is flying hunters out. Quite the chain of events, don't you think?

It was reported to the Troopers by my guide a few months after the incident, not from the field. If they paid you a visit, it wasn't from our calls. Perhaps your reputation preceded you?

Harassed the guides and packers? We never encountered anyone from your crew. If we did, I have a good feeling my guide would have resorted to fisticuffs.

We never moved. We almost had to move due to the Cub chasing everything out of the country due to his buzzing. We didn't see a single ram for 5 days after the plane incident.

If you feel so good about this group, please post the Sports Afield article. That was a gem. I personally read the article, FWIW.

Desperate people do desperate things. If that article is any indication of how his operation goes...well, interpret that how you will.

P.S. Bob Graham was her guide in the article. Must be another old sheep guide named Bob Graham out there? He is quite the character on your videos and I do get a kick out of him.

P.S.S. From the way our stories differ, perhaps we aren't the only people in the field you managed to tick off this season.

Last edited by kscowboy01; 11/29/13.
N
nmlarry Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Like I said no pissing match
But just think what you said
A plane buzzing you and 15 min later you hear shots?
How in the world could anybody land get ther gear together climb the mountain and shoot that quick don't make sense.takes hours in most cases to stalk a sheep.
Also we don't have radios in the plane
It never happened with us, also I have sent out over 60 hunters and not one ever hunted the same day they flew. That is something not done with our sucess rate we don't depend on illegal activity. As for getting the tail ny,ber yes we fly a lot in OUR AREA it's easy to get a tail number of a 35 mph super cub.
Oh well since you never hunted with us I am not sure how you can be such an authority how we humt or operate. Again listen to a guide who has no sheep in his area and blames it on others so he saves face with jhis clients,it's better to blame someone else than take the hit yourself. How many sheep did the outfit get you hunted with.?
You got your facts wrong.
The story about the young girl had to be more than 4 years ago
Bob Graham is probably the best sheep guide in Alaska. Ask pe
E that hunted with him or know him
Let's start with Chris Dorsey get his view.

Buying and Selling Guns
N
nmlarry Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Ah you know what is funny
If we where buzzing sheep out of the area how in the world did these other guys supposebly that shot 15 minutes later have sheep to shoot at or are you even sure they where hunting sheep are you sure they shot one are you sure they where our hunters. Maybe they wher hunters after caribou or black bears may have been residents how sure are you honestly that they where associated with us?
Be honest
Or is this just computer cyber witch hunting. Get real.
Larry
As for the aritical never seen it. But you can get from the Alaska game and fish harvest reports and I think when you use that as your proof it would be more reliable. The average over the last 5 years has been 10 sheep per year.
That's fact.

Buying and Selling Guns
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wow! I need popcorn! And all I was trying to say is-keep it local-way to many snow birds talk'in smack & using AK imo-.u guys carry on cool I always think back to this story line I heard long ago, after the shot> "And as I set the rifle down ...... I picked up my binos to see the bullet impact ".......

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

N
nmlarry Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
With extra BUTTER
LARRY

Buying and Selling Guns
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I got the details on the mysterious article.

It's the November/December 2012 issue of Sports Afield, a well-respected publication.

I conveniently ordered a back issue today and will gladly make copies of the article to send to anyone interested once I receive it. This includes you, NMLarry.

Good luck digging out of this one.

Last edited by kscowboy01; 12/02/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
The plot thickens! From the sounds of it, this New Mexico guide is going to have to pay Rick to take this thread down! haha

made me ROR

don't know if it's true or not

but that was funny Calvin! laugh

new income possibilities for the Bins! TFF

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
N
nmlarry Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Don't have to dig out of anything
Pretty good a 70 year old guide gets a 13 year old young lady a sheep.
You have hunted them ONCE not bad.
Also we do not preview or edit any videos, pictures articles or any other publications before they are released. So we cannot verify the credibility of what is written in whole. Actually none of us have seen or read this article you are referring to. Also that hunt was over 4 years ago and like I said we have averaged 10 sheep per year for the past 5 or 6 years.
I noticed you did not answer any of the questions I set forth.
Remember truth is the word.
Well all I can say I will be working sheep camp again for the complete season.
I have a ball
Have a great week
Larry

Last edited by nmlarry; 12/02/13.

Buying and Selling Guns
N
nmlarry Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Not sure I mentioned we are sold out for 2014 sheep season
Have a few great slots open for Moose.
Thanks
Larry

Buying and Selling Guns
N
nmlarry Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Kscowboy
Can you mentioned who you hunted sheep with?
I did not see it in any of your previous posts when you where getting info about going.
Do any of these names ring a bell
Xtream Outfitter?
How about Mahoney?
Just curious why you never mentioned who you hunted with
Thanks
Larry

Buying and Selling Guns
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I will not mention my outfitter here. I don't want to hurt his business knowing that outfitters like your group are in the area screwing with his hunting success. He was not one of the ones mentioned by you. I would recommend him. As far as "no sheep in his area" you are not the only ones hunting 19C nor are you the only ones along the Jones River.

If this indeed happened:

"He was hunting with another outfitter that tired to infringe on our campsite
We had 2 hunters harvest 2 sheep same time same place.
His outfitter landed and harassed the guiides and packers.
He call the Troopers and they came
They measures and aged the sheep that night
Gusess what both legal
Glad kscownoy shot one.
I believe this maybe what he is referring to.
Just sour grapes his outfitter had to move guys cause he could not find sheep in his main area. Just ask him maybe he will tell the truth."

I figured you would know my outfitter if this confrontation occurred. Not sticking to the wall, is it?

Also, this is not the only sheep hunt I've been on. I have been on a Desert Sheep hunt in Sonora.

Only hunted sheep once, had too much to drink. What's next?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very interesting proposal before the BOG currently for Unit 19C to address the conflict issues.
http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters...osal%202014%20Region%20III%20meeting.pdf

I will try to paste it here in a minute in another post.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As suspected it will not let me copy and paste it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was able to copy and paste it, if this is what you were trying to do Art.

ALASKA BOARD OF FISHERIES AND ALASKA BOARD OF GAME
REGULATION PROPOSAL FORM
PO BOX 115526, JUNEAU, ALASKA 99811-5526
(Please note that this proposal is for the February 14-23, 2014 Region III meeting)
BOARD OF FISHERIES REGULATIONS BOARD OF GAME REGULATIONS
Fishing Area Game Management Unit (GMU) Region III
Subsistence Personal Use X Hunting Trapping
Sport Commercial Subsistence Other
JOINT BOARD REGULATIONS Resident
Advisory Committee Regional Council Rural X Nonresident
Please answer all questions to the best of your ability. All answers will be printed in the proposal packets along with the proposer's name
(address and phone numbers will not be published). Use separate forms for each proposal.
1. Alaska Administrative Code Number 5 AAC 85.055 and 5AAC 92.057 Regulation Book Page No.
2. What is the problem you would like the Board to address?
Unlimited Nonresident Sheep Hunting Opportunities and Unlimited Guide
Numbers in parts of Region III
In many parts of Region III (excluding USFWS and NPS lands) where we have open general
season sheep hunts, there are no limits on the number of nonresident hunters or the
guides they are required to hire to hunt sheep. Because nonresident guided hunters have
such a higher success rate than resident hunters, this has led to concerns of localized
diminished populations and future restrictions on resident general open season sheep
hunting opportunities. Some areas are also experiencing crowding, conflicts between
guides and resident hunters and conflicts between guides licensed for the same area.
Our primary concerns are sheep conservation and continued resident general season sheep
hunting opportunities. We firmly believe that we can�t allow any areas to have nearly
every full-curl ram harvested each season, which is what we fear may happen in some
areas if we continue to allow unlimited guiding and nonresident sheep hunting
opportunities. We also believe, just on a matter of fairness to Alaskan resident sheep
hunters, that non-resident sheep harvest rates of 40% across much of Region III, and
50-80% in some subunits, is unacceptable.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.