Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dunno if you can buy a used ADL with wood for 299 like the new SPS ones these days?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Dunno if you can buy a used ADL with wood for 299 like the new SPS ones these days?

See your earlier post below. I'm going to recommend the older ADL that will last him for ages. He still hasn't really said what kind of target shooting or hunting and "cool" doesn't cut it if he's really serious.

Originally Posted by rost495
Thats what I was after when I said used ADL, with the old wood stocks. Great triggers, good barrels and very workable wood stocks...The old ADLs were great guns generally.

Denny.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yes I'm aware but cost was an issue. Like I said, no clue if you could walk into a pawn or gun show and buy a used ADL wood stock for 300 bucks.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
hey guys.. used guns around here aren't that easy and shipping to NY isn't easy either.
primary use will be target inside 200 yards. want to shoot the rifle as is when i get it then upgrade as funds are available. I am a bow hunter and may rifle hunt one day, but probably get a new rifle for that by then..haha

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
If you're not going to hunt with it, get a .223.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If you will get a new rifle as noted, for hunting, then by all means IMHO dump the 308 idea and run 223. At least a 8 or 9 twist if you can manage it. Just fine for 200 yards. Even with a slower twist than that.

I have no clue what twists bolt guns come in these days though as I never was a bolt gun shooter, only the AR shooter in competition.

Its half the cost to feed for sure, won't beat you up at all, etc...

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Great points..... Just have to really think of the chances of rifle hunting.. I bow hunt and love shooting. Just wanted to shoot a bigger rounds/caliber. But the more you guys talk about it it make sense to stick with 223. So does that change any of your thoughts as far as rifles go.?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What I can tell you RE 308 vs 223.

The 308 will beat the 223 at longer ranges in the wind.
As noted it recoils more, I'm not overly recoil sensitive but slung up in a 308 running 210s in warm loads at 1000 yards, running 60-80 rounds in a few hours, my body does get sore. Wife and I shot M14s for years at Perry, and used shooters adhesive so the face and hands stuck to the guns in recoil in rapids... after 2 weeks at perry with both had literal scabs on our faces from the abrasion. I could shoot, but it wasn't all that much fun after sometimes up to 100 rounds a day for 2 weeks.

We have shot a LOT of game with the 308.

When the 223 came out, and then when GOOD bullets came out finally that didn't drift huge amounts in the wind at 300 and 600, it was a no brainer. Very little recoil. Very accurate guns. On the whole more accurate and easier to keep that way than a 308 hands down. Barrel life was similar to sometimes twice as much at a 308. Did I mention cost of ammo?

And I"ve killed possibly more game with the 223 if you count pigs in the kill numbers. And I have actually killed deer on the other side of 500 yards with the 223 and 75 amax. Not that I suggest it but under the right conditions... and IF legal...

223 with a TSX bullet will take just about any deer out there walking the earth. And do it very well. IF legal. Sure I'd be leary of long shots and hard angles and or lots of bone, but 223 is daily use for deer in Texas.

So with you mentioning you might buy a different rifle to hunt with.... 223 wins hands down. And even if you end up hunting.

And personally, as many rounds as you may shooting just target shooting, ( wife and I used to run over 20K rounds a year on targets not counting 22 and dry firing) vs how many you run hunting (we get 5 deer tags generally and IF I shoot 5 deer, we are talking maybe 7-8 shots a year. If I really needed for legal reasons a rifle to shoot game with or just had the desire to use larger than 223, and was on a budget, a cheap single shot rifle would kill all the big game I'd ever need.... so your second rifle need not cost much as it'll rarely get fired.

And when it boils down to it, a shot is a shot is a shot if you are practiced. DOesn't matter what you pick up rifle wise, teh shot sequence in your subconscious brain is still the same.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Rost... well put. My path is changed. With that all said what .223 do u suggest foe target. I should go heavier barrel in .223? Still focus on rem 700 adl..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever caliber you choose please buy a rifle with a wood or laminated stock for stability then buy a reloading set up.

How many rounds do you think you will shoot in a year ???

Denny.

IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
My job has crazy season/summer hour so i will mainly shoot fall thru spring which makes it weather dependent, so probably less then 3000/4000 rounds at maximum.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
3-4K per year puts you in the market for a reloading set up. JMHO

Have you considered this as $$$$ has been a governing factor in your posts.

Denny.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, 3-4 K you really need to reload likely.

I'm not up on costs of match grade ammo, but fairly sure I"ve seen it up to a buck a round for 223... and maybe as cheap as 75 cents a round for it on the cheap side. Not ball but match.

That runs 3000.00 bucks a year of ammo give or take...although 308 might well run quite a bit more than taht...

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Actually was looking into reloading equipment. Where is the best place to look for it. Is there a complete, beginners set up somewhere?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lee has a cheap kit with their cheap stuff ready to go. Last I looked it was called anniversary kit. Would suffice for starters.

RCBS rockchucker kit is probably still around and though more money a much more solid setup, IMHO.

Some will tell you Lee is all you need, and generally speaking lots of folks get by with it. My exposure to lee is that it is cheap. And somewhat junk. But then again I have some lee stuff in my loading room for various reasons.

I happen to prefer Redding dies typically. FWIW.

Boils down to how much you will end up using the setup basically.

When we were running 20K plus rounds of 223 a year, I"d have hated to rely on a lee progressive press, as their parts break and have to be replaced. At that time we were running a pair of Dillons and while Dillon will eventually break a part, in the years we used a 550 and 650 I never had to replace a part.

All the above being said I feel if you really get into loading, seriously, a kit isn't the way to go. SO I'd buy the lee cheap kit, and start. Then if you need better, buy it piece at a time.

You could also probably likely buy it piece by piece on fleabay or craigslist type adds used.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At this point I kind of feel sorry for him in that

A) Trying to load 3-4K with a kit re: basic press, dies,scale etc. will require a huge investment in time.

B) Starting out with a progressive and no exp. under his belt may be overwhelming for a newbie.

I'm going to revise my original recommendation and say go for a cheap wood stock rifle in the caliber of his choice which at this point doesn't matter for 200 yard shooting and have him shoot it for a season or two to gain some experience. After a season he will have better handle on equipment and supplies and the cheap rifle can be sold when it's time to upgrade.

Denny.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Jarhead88
Are you a member of a local gun club. If so
I suggest you put the word out you are looking to buy used rifle, reloading equipment etc.
When you say target shooting do you mean NRA high power or EIC, F class?
Maybe hang around a few matches and ask questions after the match is over.
F class is like prone bench rest and equipment gets spendy. I like leg matches
it used to be $2.00 entry fee and they would issue you
30-06 ball ammo for free until Clinton stuck his big nose in there.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Jarhead,

Instead of asking these questions piecemeal, you need to go to some matches and see what the shooters use and where to get it. I suspect they will be glad to help you.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Indy, J'head hasn't signed on since 2/14

Denny.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,003
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.