Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I'm no expert on Sako rifles, obviously, so I would appreciate some feedback from you guys who are in the know.

Of course, a lot of this is subjective so one man's junk is another's treasure. With that said, which of the Sako models are the most highly prized by rifle enthusiasts? Not necessarily collectors, but guys who hunt with their rifles and care about quality.

I read about "Bofors steel" and "pre-Garcia". Just going off memory, it seems that Garcia began importing the rifles to the States around the early 70s. Some claim that quality fell off for a while after the transition. I haven't a clue if this is true or not.

And when did the recoil lug cease being an actual part of the receiver? Was that all the models after the L61R? And more importantly, does that really matter?

To this day, many rave about the quality of Sako rifles. There are a few, however, who insist that the older models, if in good condition, are the way to go. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Landrum; 12/06/13.
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
No experience with the newer ones but I've had a few L and A series (mostly long actions, one medium) and they were all nice. Main gripe I have is the long actioned rifles I had were heavier than I like for standard calibers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shrapnel's Sakos.

No explanation necessary.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
To me the new ones seem just as good as the older ones, but I would be interested in the answer as well, since I'm not aware of the differences even though I own a couple. As far as the most sought after, other than the bolt guns, the finnwolf lever action sako I would think. Unfortunately I let one pass me by several years ago because I didn't know it's desireability or rarity.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sure there are sako aficionados on the 'fire who may know the details. You may want to check out these guys, who have been hugely helpful to me in the past.

http://www.sakocollectors.com/

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I personally like the short action L461 Vixen in .222 caliber. Snagged this beauty not too many months ago and it is a tack driver.Heavy barrel and beaver tail forend.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I forgot about this thread, which may help with some of your questions

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8311733/1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Not a fan at all but do believe that the Safari they made years ago was about the nicest factory 375 H&H made.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two of the older Sako L579's, one rifle in .243 and one carbine that was a .243 but has been rebored to .358.

I like them a lot for their size, smoothness of operation and balance.

I've only been able to shoot a few of the smaller Vixen rifles, but came away feeling that they are the pinnacle of small bolt action rifles. They're scale is perfect in my eyes.

The standard length action is no doubt great, but I find it to be heavy and bulkier than I prefer - I've only shot a couple (.270 & .338) but that was my feeling at the time.

The current wood stocked offerings today need to go on a diet. IMHO...

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My advice is to buy everyone you can afford. It is the finest production rifle made no matter what model.

The recoil lug changed with the 85's.

For a pure hunting rifle nothing beats a 85. They are lighter and mine are slightly more accurate than my 75's. I do prefer the 75 stock though.

All the A series guns I own are also extremely accurate but they are in varmint calibers.

Dink

IC B3

L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by DINK
My advice is to buy everyone you can afford. It is the finest production rifle made no matter what model.

For a pure hunting rifle nothing beats a 85. They are lighter and mine are slightly more accurate than my 75's. I do prefer the 75 stock though.

All the A series guns I own are also extremely accurate but they are in varmint calibers.

Dink

Are you sure about the recoil lug? It seems that I remember seeing a a drawing of a model previous to the 75 which had a pass through bolt that attached the recoil lug to the receiver. L691?

Last edited by Landrum; 12/06/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The old Mauser action rifles are the only ones that interest me.

Who is John Galt?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Landrum,
You are correct.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Dink

What do you mean by A series? certainly the AV's and AIII's were offered in standard long calibers. I've seen plenty of 7mm and 270's in both.

If I were looking for one, I would go with a pre Garcia L579 in 308, especially since I have one in 243
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The older pre Garcia's, most any with an L starting the action designator. Deluxe ups the price. Finnwolf's out of the park in price for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I were looking for one, I would go with a pre Garcia L579 in 308, especially since I have one in 243
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][/quote]

Yeppers! That's just about perfect right there!

Mine are beater huntin rigs and would be embarrassed to be seen with yours!

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by mrfudd

They weren't Mauser actions. It was a dummy bolt guide and not a true control action feed.

As for the 75's I reviewed one when they were introduced and it had the non integral recoil lug. I hated the design and thought it moronic and certainly "not" and improvement but the test rifle was bought by a mate of mine, so I bedded it and played around with some loads and it was typical Sako...spectacularly good reliable accuracy for a factory rifle.

That 7mm Remmy went to Africa soon after and took a bunch of animals and became a prized rifle by its owner.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Landrum

Dink

Are you sure about the recoil lug? It seems that I remember seeing a a drawing of a model previous to the 75 which had a pass through bolt that attached the recoil lug to the receiver. L691?

I was referring to the recoil lug is no longer attached to the action.

Dink

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
R_H_Clark,

Certainly the A series gun were chambered in long action calibers. All my personal A series guns are in varmint calibers. I have never owned one in a large caliber to verify that they shoot well (though I would bet money they do.

Dink

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by mrfudd

They weren't Mauser actions. It was a dummy bolt guide and not a true control action feed.

As for the 75's I reviewed one when they were introduced and it had the non integral recoil lug. I hated the design and thought it moronic and certainly "not" and improvement but the test rifle was bought by a mate of mine, so I bedded it and played around with some loads and it was typical Sako...spectacularly good reliable accuracy for a factory rifle.

That 7mm Remmy went to Africa soon after and took a bunch of animals and became a prized rifle by its owner.

http://www.sakocollectors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?36-Discussions-about-Sako-Mausers

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 56 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.