Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I'm no expert on Sako rifles, obviously, so I would appreciate some feedback from you guys who are in the know.

Of course, a lot of this is subjective so one man's junk is another's treasure. With that said, which of the Sako models are the most highly prized by rifle enthusiasts? Not necessarily collectors, but guys who hunt with their rifles and care about quality.

I read about "Bofors steel" and "pre-Garcia". Just going off memory, it seems that Garcia began importing the rifles to the States around the early 70s. Some claim that quality fell off for a while after the transition. I haven't a clue if this is true or not.

And when did the recoil lug cease being an actual part of the receiver? Was that all the models after the L61R? And more importantly, does that really matter?

To this day, many rave about the quality of Sako rifles. There are a few, however, who insist that the older models, if in good condition, are the way to go. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Landrum; 12/06/13.
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
No experience with the newer ones but I've had a few L and A series (mostly long actions, one medium) and they were all nice. Main gripe I have is the long actioned rifles I had were heavier than I like for standard calibers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shrapnel's Sakos.

No explanation necessary.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
To me the new ones seem just as good as the older ones, but I would be interested in the answer as well, since I'm not aware of the differences even though I own a couple. As far as the most sought after, other than the bolt guns, the finnwolf lever action sako I would think. Unfortunately I let one pass me by several years ago because I didn't know it's desireability or rarity.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sure there are sako aficionados on the 'fire who may know the details. You may want to check out these guys, who have been hugely helpful to me in the past.

http://www.sakocollectors.com/

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I personally like the short action L461 Vixen in .222 caliber. Snagged this beauty not too many months ago and it is a tack driver.Heavy barrel and beaver tail forend.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I forgot about this thread, which may help with some of your questions

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8311733/1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Not a fan at all but do believe that the Safari they made years ago was about the nicest factory 375 H&H made.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two of the older Sako L579's, one rifle in .243 and one carbine that was a .243 but has been rebored to .358.

I like them a lot for their size, smoothness of operation and balance.

I've only been able to shoot a few of the smaller Vixen rifles, but came away feeling that they are the pinnacle of small bolt action rifles. They're scale is perfect in my eyes.

The standard length action is no doubt great, but I find it to be heavy and bulkier than I prefer - I've only shot a couple (.270 & .338) but that was my feeling at the time.

The current wood stocked offerings today need to go on a diet. IMHO...

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My advice is to buy everyone you can afford. It is the finest production rifle made no matter what model.

The recoil lug changed with the 85's.

For a pure hunting rifle nothing beats a 85. They are lighter and mine are slightly more accurate than my 75's. I do prefer the 75 stock though.

All the A series guns I own are also extremely accurate but they are in varmint calibers.

Dink

IC B3

L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by DINK
My advice is to buy everyone you can afford. It is the finest production rifle made no matter what model.

For a pure hunting rifle nothing beats a 85. They are lighter and mine are slightly more accurate than my 75's. I do prefer the 75 stock though.

All the A series guns I own are also extremely accurate but they are in varmint calibers.

Dink

Are you sure about the recoil lug? It seems that I remember seeing a a drawing of a model previous to the 75 which had a pass through bolt that attached the recoil lug to the receiver. L691?

Last edited by Landrum; 12/06/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The old Mauser action rifles are the only ones that interest me.

Who is John Galt?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Landrum,
You are correct.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Dink

What do you mean by A series? certainly the AV's and AIII's were offered in standard long calibers. I've seen plenty of 7mm and 270's in both.

If I were looking for one, I would go with a pre Garcia L579 in 308, especially since I have one in 243
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The older pre Garcia's, most any with an L starting the action designator. Deluxe ups the price. Finnwolf's out of the park in price for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I were looking for one, I would go with a pre Garcia L579 in 308, especially since I have one in 243
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][/quote]

Yeppers! That's just about perfect right there!

Mine are beater huntin rigs and would be embarrassed to be seen with yours!

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by mrfudd

They weren't Mauser actions. It was a dummy bolt guide and not a true control action feed.

As for the 75's I reviewed one when they were introduced and it had the non integral recoil lug. I hated the design and thought it moronic and certainly "not" and improvement but the test rifle was bought by a mate of mine, so I bedded it and played around with some loads and it was typical Sako...spectacularly good reliable accuracy for a factory rifle.

That 7mm Remmy went to Africa soon after and took a bunch of animals and became a prized rifle by its owner.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Landrum

Dink

Are you sure about the recoil lug? It seems that I remember seeing a a drawing of a model previous to the 75 which had a pass through bolt that attached the recoil lug to the receiver. L691?

I was referring to the recoil lug is no longer attached to the action.

Dink

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
R_H_Clark,

Certainly the A series gun were chambered in long action calibers. All my personal A series guns are in varmint calibers. I have never owned one in a large caliber to verify that they shoot well (though I would bet money they do.

Dink

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

They weren't Mauser actions. It was a dummy bolt guide and not a true control action feed.

As for the 75's I reviewed one when they were introduced and it had the non integral recoil lug. I hated the design and thought it moronic and certainly "not" and improvement but the test rifle was bought by a mate of mine, so I bedded it and played around with some loads and it was typical Sako...spectacularly good reliable accuracy for a factory rifle.

That 7mm Remmy went to Africa soon after and took a bunch of animals and became a prized rifle by its owner.

http://www.sakocollectors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?36-Discussions-about-Sako-Mausers

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
R_H_Clark,

Certainly the A series gun were chambered in long action calibers. All my personal A series guns are in varmint calibers. I have never owned one in a large caliber to verify that they shoot well (though I would bet money they do.

Dink

Sorry Dink. I apparently need to work on my reading comprehension. I completely missed "I own".

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 12/06/13.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In my general experience, pre '72 (pre Garcia) era L461 Vixens as a class seem to be the most desirable. However, rarity, caliber, and certain specific models across the various years may be exceptions to the general rule. The first models introduced without the recoil lug machined into the action were the S491 (short), M591 (medium), and L691 (long) actions introduced in...1991.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Finnwolfs....

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I'm down to an L461 in .223 and an AII in 308.
Both are well made, scaled to the cartridge, function perfectly, accurate and I find them a great fit.
Wouldn't trade either for a newer model in a fit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have a Sako 375 H&H on the FN Mauser action. A previous owner cut the barrel to 21" and I believe that it has been restocked. It is very light, handy, and accurate.

Who is John Galt?
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Wow, lots of misinformation in this thread. Too many Sako "experts" that have never owned or held one I guess. I'll offer my uneducated but experienced opinion. I wont comment on the commercial Mauser style Sako rifles as I have never seen one in the flesh. Every rifle from the L46 "Riihimaki" to the A series were essentially the same with small refinements and improvements along the way. The actions were sized according to caliber. Most noticeable additions are the new style fully adjustable triggers and the angular bolt shrouds. I have owned several of each and can tell you in my experience the quality is very consistent. The major changes came in 1991 with the S/M/L series, removable recoil lug, standardized action size, different bolt work, ugly cookie cutter style stock work, etc. The 75 & 85 series moved even farther away to offer stainless actions and plastic stocks. The major gripe I have heard with the Garcia era guns was quality of bluing and polish was lacking, otherwise great guns. I think any gun made by Sako between, say, 1950 & 1990 would be a great hunting tool and a worthy heirloom to pass down to the next generation of hunter. I personally like the Stoeger era A series rifles, affordable, accurate, and a beauty to behold.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

As far as the original question in the thread topic, I would say a pre-Garcia L46 Deluxe in a rare caliber like 22 Hornet or .218 Bee would be the most desirable. The Deluxes tend to go for twice what a standard rifle sells for and the odd calibers always bring a premium.

Scott

Last edited by woodshed; 12/07/13.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have AI in 223 & 6MMPPC, AIII in 30'06 & AV in 270. Below is a AIII 1st generation classic in 30'06 which I think is the most desirable SAKO

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Beautiful Classic, you don't see many of those around. You should snag this .223 and collect the whole set.

[Linked Image]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=378500537

Scott

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is nice.

I had a classic in .30-06 like above, most accurate rifle I've ever owned.

You could do a lot worse than collecting those.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Which Sako's are the most sought after?

Well it's the aluminum lugged, Tikka T3 Lite of course! grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kitch - other then caliber your VIXEN is a dead ringer for mine in .223 Remington circa early 70's. Even your scope reminds me of the older Weaver 10X AO it was wearing. BTW - did you have a issue with the original finish going "gummy" on you? This happened to both my SAKO's and they needed to be refinished.
Homesteader.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Woodshed,

Your right. I have never owned or touched a Sako.

Dink

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dink, I wasn't calling you out in particular. You are dead wrong on the recoil lug change though, detachable recoil lugs came into vogue with the S491/M591/L691 actions. So there is that...

Scott

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have owned a bunch of Sakos . Many were bought in hopes of turning a profit when the daughters were in college. I did shoot a few. I do not recall an inaccurate one. One of my regrets is that I did not nail one of the small action .223s while they were still readily available and affordable.

Perhaps one of the most beautiful rifles I ever owned was a Stoger DeLux Forester in ..243. I also had a Safari in .338WM that I attempted to hunt with. Looked great, shot great, but it was way too heavy to carry. Must have gone about ten pounds all up. I decided the reason it was called Safari was that one needed a gun bearer to carry it.

The Garcia guns were good. They tried to keep the cost down with a lesser degree of polish on the metal on the standard models. No fall off on huntability, just looks. I never cared for the higher Monte Carlo models. I have my eye on an L61 as I write. I'm also trying to justify the price of a small action .223.

BTW, the early ones were on Mauser actions. One of my friends found me one week doing some college field work, and wanted me to come hunt on the weekend. I had the clothes, but the rifle was 200 miles round trip away. He said come hunt, he had an extra rifle. It was a .270 Sako on a Mauser action. Made the closest deer kill of my career. Something spooked a buck and he almost ran over me in an improvised stand hidden, with tree tops from a recent harvest of mature hardwoods. Maybe a 25' shot.

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 12/07/13.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BTW - did you have a issue with the original finish going "gummy" on you?

Nope-still looks as good as it did when it left the factory. That scope is a Leopold M8 16x and clear as a bell.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by woodshed
Beautiful Classic, you don't see many of those around. You should snag this .223 and collect the whole set.

[Linked Image]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=378500537

Scott

THNKKS, I just put it on my watch list..

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
De nada. Always more than willing to help a brother shell out hard earned coin on another nice rifle. Wish I had the scratch...

Scott

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by woodshed
Dink, I wasn't calling you out in particular. You are dead wrong on the recoil lug change though, detachable recoil lugs came into vogue with the S491/M591/L691 actions. So there is that...

Scott

You are correct.

I figured with all the scuttle butt about the 85's recoil lug that is what I thought the OP was referring to.

While the recoil lug is detachable it was still attached to the receiver until the 85.

Dink

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Fair enough. I haven't owned an 85 but have drooled over several. Too rich for my blood I'm afraid.

Scott

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've only owned a couple of Sakos. This one is in .25-06 and has been around a lot. I bought it in a gunshop in Los Angeles (when there were still gunshops in LA). I had the action glassed and the bolt engine-turned awhile back. Only thing I wish it had was a full 24" barrel. The factory 22.5" barrel shoots the 100 grain Barnes TTSX into one hole, so I guess I can't complain too much.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 12/07/13.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

I think that the gentleman, is commenting on the first Sako BIG GAME BOLT rifles, which WERE Mausers, specifically FN actions. These, were available to and used by scads of gunmakers from the end of WWII until the mid-late 1960s and many very fine and often quite inexpensive hunting rifles were built on them, Sako was one such marque.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have examined scores of Sakos, there was a serious collector hereabout for some time, years ago, when I avidly went to any gunshow I could. I have also shot quite a number of them and most WILL shoot, no question.

I bought a second type Finnwolf,in about 1976 and later gave it to one of my brothers. He beat it a bit and gave it back to me, sometime around 2003, IIRC.

I cleaned it up, loaded for and shot it and then gave it to the above guy's son, who shot his first deer with it. He, then decided to settle in Australia and gave me the rifle, again, as he could not take it there with him.

I sold it about a year ago, as I have been systematically selling off my guns as I have no heirs, had about 50 fairly highend guns and do not want them to be confiscated and destroyed by the RCMP, should I bite the dust while still in legal possession of any of them....this is the LAW in "liberal" Canada, nice, eh?

So, after all of that, I am not a major fan of Sakos. The older ones WERE VERY nicely finished, but, so were many other guns of their era and the vaunted Finnwolf, while "purty", was a heavy pig for a .308Win. and the stock was an angular club.

Each to his own, but, for the price of a "cherry" Finnwolf, in today's Canadian market, based on recent experience, I can buy a 95ish % original P-64 Mod. 70 Fwt-.270 and this is, IME, a FAR superior HUNTING rifle, which is what appeals to me. YMMV, of course.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Sooo...you aren't a fan of Sako rifles because your old beat up lever-action Finnwolf isn't as nice as a near mint pre-64 Winchester Featherweight. Okey dokey. To each his own. You know Sako makes bolt action rifles, right? Also, I'm not familiar with the exchange rate in Canada, do apples equal oranges in your neck of the woods? wink

Scott

Last edited by woodshed; 12/08/13.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Actually, if you could read and comprehend, you would understand that I have had experiencce over some 50 years next spring with many different Sakos and hundreds of other rifles, as well.

I bought my Finnwolf, NEW, my pair of P-64 Mod. 70 fwts. were AS NEW when I bought them, show considerable use now and my third P-64 Fwt.-270, is a custom we built on a fine 1946 action, these are all in highend synthetic stocks.

I had a minty P-64 Mod. 88, for some time and while not as nicely polished as the FW, it had a much better stock style and shot about the same.

The one Sako I remember most clearly was one of the synthetic-stocked Classics, originally a 7RM. One of my buddies had it re-tubed into a .416 Rem., back when this cartridge came out and kept it a light rifle. It shot VERY well, using Hornady and later some SAFs, but, it BOOTED one and shooting it was a bit of a chore.

All in all, I DO prefer my various P-64 Mod. 70s and Dakota and Brno ZG and 21/22 series rifles to a Sako. But, whatever, not worth more energy.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Easy there tiger, it's called humor, you should look into it sometime. Haters are gonna hate, and fanboys are gonna be fanboys I suppose. Peace.

Scott

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by RGK
I've only owned a couple of Sakos. This one is in .25-06 and has been around a lot. I bought it in a gunshop in Los Angeles (when there were still gunshops in LA). I had the action glassed and the bolt engine-turned awhile back. Only thing I wish it had was a full 24" barrel. The factory 22.5" barrel shoots the 100 grain Barnes TTSX into one hole, so I guess I can't complain too much.
Bob

[Linked Image]

To my eyes that is a very nice looking rig that also shoots well! Hard to ask for more.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sako 85

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In general, there is a reasonable understanding that the L series, and following A series, were the best that Sako produced. A well married combination of CNC machining and hand fitting. Many have their opinions, and I prefer the later A series, as I simply like the stocks better.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
"I prefer the later A series, as I simply like the stocks better."

I couldn't agree more.

Scott

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I'd be quite happy to find an All in 7-08 with the hunter stock. Even better, for me, with the McMillan factory stock!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the earlier guns myself. When they got into CNC made rifles, they lost their appeal to me.

I can't get enough, I am looking for another 222 Mag in a heavy barrel. I have 3 222 mags right now, another won't hurt.

I have shot every kind of game with Sakos over the years and my preference still resides with the Pre-Garcia, bofors guns, but that won't stop me from buying a good Sako in a caliber I like...

Pre-Garcia Bofors Deluxe in 264 Win Mag...

[Linked Image]

Pre-Garcia Bofors L-469 222 Mag...

[Linked Image]

Finnwolf 243...

[Linked Image]

Deluxe 300 WBY Mag...

[Linked Image]

Deluxe 30-06...

[Linked Image]

Pre-Garcia Bofors 243 heavy barrel...

[Linked Image]

Pre-Garcia Deluxe Bofors in 222 Mag...

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/Varmints/122_3175.jpg[/img]

L57 in 220 Swift...

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/rifles/115_2332-1_zps932128b0.jpg[/img]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I would GRAB that Swift in a short hurry, mine is about the only "factory" production-level rifle I now own and is a Ruger MKII, grey lam. stock, std. bbl, ugly as Hell struck with a club, but, WTH, I want it for next winter at home in the Kootenays, calling Coys and maybe Wuffs and I don't care if I bang it up.

Has anyone ever seen or handled one of the last Finnwolf series, chambered for the .300 WM, SUPPOSEDLY built around the late '80s and MAYBE imported to the US?

BTW, Pat, if you know the poster on CGN, "Banished", whom I knew 25-30 years ago, but, have not seen in 20+ years, he was one of the three major guys behind the "Imperial Magnums" and he MIGHT know the whereabouts of one of the 7-08s they built using McLennan STS tubes, IIRC, which were all done by Nobby Uno and would SHOOT.

You might want to check this further, I have no time for any involvement, due to medical issues, but, it is worth a try.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
l 461 l579 and l 61r... these are the ones I and most people seek

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Sakos rule!!! but don't buy any leave them all for me!! I collect M995 and they are super accurate as are all my other sakos !! I have a 338 lapua for my bear gun and a 7mm STW for whitetail and a 30-378 for my back up gun for moose and bear. I have 10 other calibers in M995 and they are all very accurate! My son says I am a fanatic if it doesn't shoot a dime it isn't in my gun safe ( not a dime but at least a nickel)Love those SAKOS!!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like the 75s.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A few of my favorites.

I picked up this little Sako 17 Javelina A&M built rifle.

[Linked Image]

My little A1 in 223

[Linked Image]

A 222 mag

[Linked Image]

An AII and L579 in 6XC and 243

[Linked Image]

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Got (7) Sako's in my collection at present and they all are nice in their own way; but for "sought after" ; it would have to be my 1969 Pre-Garcia L61R Deluxe 300 H&H magnum; 98% condition with original peep and front sight hood. About as rare as they get.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Cruiser,

I'll give $500 for that.....grin.

Dink

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
"I'll give $5000 for that.....grin.:

Fixed your typo; DEAL !!!

Can you change your name to Bink?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I owned a 220 swift heavy barrel in L579 not pre 64 was in mint condition was pretty beautiful.... kinda regret selling that...

Never trust a man in a wheel chair...with dirty shoes.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like the Fiberclass models

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Cruiser1

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What are thinking? $5000...you work for cabelas?

You still have the deluxe in 30-06?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Seeing as how this thread is getting some looks, I am looking for an A5 Deluxe in 338WM, and another in 416RM...

Just in case!

R.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Rman
Seeing as how this thread is getting some looks, I am looking for an A5 Deluxe in 338WM, and another in 416RM...

Just in case!

R.

Cabela's in St.louis has what you looking for in .338 (I think anyway).

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The most sought after for me right now is a 222 Remington Magnum in a Pre-Garcia Bofors, heavy barrel...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Just in case!

R.

Dink

I had a look, but did not see it? Please post up a link?

Thanks!

R.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What are thinking? $5000...you work for cabelas?

You still have the deluxe in 30-06?

Yep,still got the AV Deluxe 30-06, best wood on one I have seen. Also, just found a military import L61R Deluxe .270 and a military import L579 .243 w/ an excellent Pecar 3-7 scope.
But, the best shooter is my Model 75 Hunter Stainless .270.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Just in case!

R.

Dink

I had a look, but did not see it? Please post up a link?

Thanks!

R.

I was at the store and seen it. It looks just like the one at the Rogers, Minn. store though.

I don't know why I can't get the link to post. It is not listed as a deluxe but I believe it is.

Dink

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Got (7) Sako's in my collection at present and they all are nice in their own way; but for "sought after" ; it would have to be my 1969 Pre-Garcia L61R Deluxe 300 H&H magnum; 98% condition with original peep and front sight hood. About as rare as they get.

[Linked Image]

Yep. That's right up there with a Golden Bear, a 222 Mag Mannlicher, a L46 in Bee, 32-20 or 7mm Sako.

The belted mag carbines with 20" barrels were kinda weird, all but the 375 were impractical.

Hey shrap, have two 222 Mag HB's in the safe.....ain't sellin tho!!!
If you want crazy groups, the 53gr. MatchKing and 27.5 grs of Benchmark has went under the half inch mark or less in every Mag Deuce I've fired them in; even a 1-9 one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

I have the partner to that rifle; Sako L61R Deluxe in the 13,000 serial range chambered in 264 Win Mag. Bofors marked with the sight hood as well. The stock is perfect, but I wanted to shoot it, so I found another Sako deluxe stock from the same era and had it bedded and floated.

I couldn't find the bullets I wanted to shoot in it, but at a gun show I found 800 6.5 85 grain hollow points, so it went from a hunting gun to a varmint gun. Hollow points at 3700 fps make this a wicked PD gun...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm not an expert on anything but I have had a Sako Finbear AV in 375 H&H since the mid 80's right after they changed over to 2 recoil lugs. Before that they had one and the stocks were cracking. Back then you could also buy barreled actions don't remember who it was seems like Bill Hicks and bought one for a friend and put it in a McMillan stock. Those didn't dome with the sights like the others. Been a great rifle and has shot everything I've run through it very well. Mine has seen some bad weather and I'm going to get it Cerakoted this winter when I have time. There is a local guy that does it. Just too many colors to decide is the problem.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
75's for me.

Have/had l579, 75s,85s...currently just 75s

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The finnwolves

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The one and only Sako I sold and which I regret was a Finnbear Hunter L461 in 6.5X55, bought in the late 80's. A Stoger Import. Put it up for $1K and it sold in less than 5 minutes at the asking price.. The rifle was a tack driver, beautiful wood great trigger and very very accurate. I won many "hunter" bench rest matches with it. However it was rather heavy, and I did feel guilty taking out beating it up hunting. It also was the worst rifle I have ever owned for copper fouling, did not seem to effect it's accuracy however.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Sako 264 win mags with 26 inch barrels.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Sako Mauser 375 H&H [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by hanco
Sako 264 win mags with 26 inch barrels.

Saw a Pre-Garcia Deluxe 264mag, 26" go for over $4k couple years ago.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
264 Win Mags with 26 inch barrels, Sako deluxes in 264 are rare, 300H&H's are rare also. I have never seen a Sako deluxe 264 with a 26 inch barrel. If wasnt a fake, I bet it would go for 4000.00. 24 inch deluxes sell for 2000.00 and up in 264.

Last edited by hanco; 07/03/16.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Holy necropost batman! But since it appears to have started up again, I'll join in.

Originally Posted by Blacktail53

The current wood stocked offerings today need to go on a diet. IMHO...

I have no idea what Sako's are collectable, or what previous stocks felt like, since I just recently bought my first Sako, an 85 Bavarian. But when I read this comment, I had to reply. The "Classic" 85 that I held sort of fit the diet-needing description. But my Bavarian stock is svelte. In fact I definitely wouldn't want it any lighter are slimmer. It's pretty much perfect for me, as is the whole rifle. There isn't a rifle on the planet I'd trade it for. Sure, I've always dreamed of having an AI AW, but truth be told, I'm sure I'd enjoy this Bavarian even more. I love everything about it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
85 Classics are less hefty than the 75s by about 1/2lb. They aren't chunky until you get into L sized action. 85 Bavarians are also exceptional. These are my favorite Sakos.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have two Sakos, A1 & AII, in the singleshot configuration, with target triggers.

I belive the previous owner bought the actions new, in 89-91 and made benchrest rifles out of them. They are currently chambered in 223 & 22-250.

I can count on one hand, the times I have heard or seen similar actions in this configuration on the net..

Most have a "inserts in mag well" instead of true solid bottoms.

Triggers are in the 3-5 oz range..

The US in the last 40 years:

Socialism for big corporations and military industrial complex

&

Rugged individualism for the individual.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Still prefer the newer 3 lug guns. Not as polished but I like them better otherwise. Also prefer the newer oil finished stocks to the shiny.

L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I started this thread several years ago and to my surprise, here it is again! I still look for Sakos from time to time but haven't found the one yet.

One thing I have noticed is that Sakos are relatively expensive these days; much more so than in the past. I am talking about new models. They sure are proud of those Model 85s. Of course, all guns have shot up in price over the last couple of years.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Always had a thing for the Firearms International Sako's (pre Garcia/1972 guns), especially the Mannlichers. The L461 'Vixens' from this era are perfection....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Makes me happy for buying an L579, just waiting for it.

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Beautiful.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Always had a thing for the Firearms International Sako's (pre Garcia/1972 guns), especially the Mannlichers. The L461 'Vixens' from this era are perfection....

These are what you are looking for, a rare Mannlicher in 222 magnum in rifle configuration, and even more rare, a L461 in 223…

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by setch
I'm sure there are sako aficionados on the 'fire who may know the details. You may want to check out these guys, who have been hugely helpful to me in the past.

http://www.sakocollectors.com/

There is where I would head. Tremendous Knowledge base and they are polite.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Lots of good guys at the sako collectors forum

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Finally got a golden anniversary, number 181 of 1000, made in 72, all were 7 mags I Believe

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]cave story wallpaper

Last edited by hanco; 04/29/23.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I grabbed this as soon as I saw it.......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sako Deluxe, heavy barrel AV. 280 Remington.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Beautiful rifle GWB, what are you loading for it? I have a 280 now, a Kimber BGR. It shoots 120 Barnes very well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by geedubya

ya!

GWB

Heavy barrel?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by geedubya

ya!

GWB

Heavy barrel?

My bad,

I measure it @ .649" at the muzzle.

ya!

GWB

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Beautiful rifle GWB, what are you loading for it? I have a 280 now, a Kimber BGR. It shoots 120 Barnes very well.

In the past it has pretty much been 140 Gr. Accubonds or Ballistic tips pretty much across the 7mm spectrum.

I've had several rifles chambered for the 280 Rem.

The 162 Gr. ELD-X is what I am shooting in this rifle.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 04/30/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I know where a L61R Finnbear 264 Win is for sale. I know nothing about Sako’s except what a friend bought in Germany when he was in the army.
This rifle looks very good condition with some blueing loss near the muzzle. Would this be worth more than $1,000???

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Bugger
I know where a L61R Finnbear 264 Win is for sale. I know nothing about Sako’s except what a friend bought in Germany when he was in the army.
This rifle looks very good condition with some blueing loss near the muzzle. Would this be worth more than $1,000???

Without seeing pix or "hands on" it is hard to say. I personally am not a fan of the 264 Win Mag, so unless it was a Deluxe, with good wood, pad, unmolested, no iron sights, I would not pay $1K. I'd prefer to be in it @ $850 or less. Your mileage may vary.

Just Sayin!

GWB

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant

26” barrel 264’s are hard to come by.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

26” barrel 264’s are hard to come by.

Very hard

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It’s a 24”

Buy and Sell your guns online at GunsInternational.com
Toggle navigationMENU

Sell your guns on GunsInternational.com
Go

Advanced Search
New Today Rifles Sako Rifles
Crosshair Sako ~ L61R Finnbear ~ .264 Win Mag for sale
Guns International #: 102185924
Seller's Inventory #: 3575845

Sako L61R Finnbear 264 Win Mag 1 of 11 Sako L61R Finnbear 264 Win Mag 2 of 11 Sako L61R Finnbear 264 Win Mag 3 of 11 Sako L61R Finnbear 264 Win Mag 4 of 11 Sako L61R Finnbear 264 Win Mag 5 of 11 Sako L61R Finnbear 264 Win Mag 6 of 11 Sako L61R Finnbear 264 Win Mag 7 of 11 Sako L61R Finnbear 264 Win Mag 8 of 11 Sako L61R Finnbear 264 Win Mag 9 of 11 Sako L61R Finnbear 264 Win Mag 10 of 11 Sako L61R Finnbear 264 Win Mag 11 of 11
Guns International #: 102185924
Seller's Inventory #: 3575845

Category
Sako Rifles
Rifles - European Sporting
Seller's Information
When emailing or calling sellers direct, please mention that you saw their listing on GunsInternational.com
Verified Seller
Seller: Cabelas Anchorage
Company: Bass Pro - Cabelas
State: Alaska
Zip: 99515
Phone: (907) 341-3385
Fax:
Platinum Seller
Seller Type:FFL Dealer
Return Policy: 3 day inspection and return policy on used guns and accessories.
Payment Methods:

About Us: When calling ask for the Gun Library
Sako ~ L61R Finnbear ~ .264 Win Mag

Description:
Sako L61R Finnbear chambered in .264 Winchester Magnum. .264 Winchester Magnum

Price: $999.99

Metal Condition: Good
Wood Condition: Good
Bore Condition: Very good
Barrels: 24 inch
Weight: 8 lb 6 oz
Sights: Front iron sight with shroud
Item Location: Anchorage, AK

See all listings by
Cabelas Anchorage Tell a friend
You are Watching this listing
(click here to view your Watch List)
Email Seller Print this listing

Contact Seller
*Your Name:
*Your Email:
*Your Phone Number:
Yes! I would like to receive news and updates from Guns International. This address will not be sold or used for promotional purposes.
Send

Puglisi Gun Emporium Dawson Doubles Jackson Armory Gun Sport Ltd.
facebook instagram twitter
McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams Site Secure SecurityMetrics for PCI Compliance, QSA, IDS, Penetration Testing, Forensics, and Vulnerability Assessment
Privacy Policy
User Agreement
FAQs
Contact Us
©2006 - 2023 all rights reserved.
Guns International.com | ww2

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ok, here is the link from GI.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ar-264-win-mag.cfm?gun_id=102185924#lg-2

IMHO, that is a $750 gun.

Recoil pad is bad.

Stock is rough

Bluing is rough and thinning.

No offense but it could be one that Big Stick owned and threw on a asphalt pile before he threw it in the creek.

Chances are you will have to pay Taxes and shipping.

You might offer $750 shipped and see what they say.

Any more than that, all in, I would pass.

JMHO.

GWB

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Wouldn’t pay 700 for it

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Here is two decent 264’s. Made first year of production, 26” barrels. Rifle on left is a 3 digit serial number

Last edited by hanco; 04/30/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My buddy was in the USAF in the 60s .
At the Rod & Gun Shop in the Azores they had Sako Finnbears in .308 or .30-06 for $105.00
That was a lot of money back then but still cheaper than here.
Soup

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Personal druthers. Leave the A-series guns for me! Later models with hunter style stocks, teardrop bolt handle and non-Williams iron sights. Need a .25-06 still.

"Damn right it's loaded, it makes a lousy club"
-JW
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the heads up on that 264! I’ve always like Sako’s even though I don’t own one. I almost bought that one, again thanks.
One of the first rifles was a 264 and I sold it when I needed money in school. To me the 264 is so much better now than it was in the 60’s due to much better bullet selection. I’m thinking maybe a 700 Classic…

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Beautiful.

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Just got my 1970 L579 in .243 win today. Total quality in a 53 year old rifle. Yes, old world craftsmanship. Surpasses my new Win m70 supergrade.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Easy The best lever ever made.

SAKO Finnwolf

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Fotis
Easy The best lever ever made.

SAKO Finnwolf

Very nice

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I don't know if they are desirable but I have two Hi-Powers. Left is a 300 H&H and the right is a 270 Winchester. The 270 was my fathers that he picked up when he got out of the Coast Guard in 1966. Until 7-8 years ago it had a Leupold M8 7.5x scope. I replaced it with a Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5-6.

I just picked up the 300 for short money and it has been heavily modified. Has a double set trigger, Pecar 3-7 scope and a quick detach scope mounting systems. Someone also put an ivory inlay in the stock and the recoil pad needs replacing. Overall I thought it was a pretty cool rifle for less than the cost of a Ruger American.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.