Hop To
V
velcro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I have to agree with Mr. Calhoun "even a dummy finds an acorn once in a while"
I have been looking for one of these for a long time now. I finally found one & guess what it came with a Savage Model 1920 attached to it. It is in excellent shape.
The Savage 1920 is also in excellent shape with a bore that looks like it hasn't had much use at all bright & shinny with deep deep rifling . The wood is like new with crisp checkering. The one thing that puzzles me is that there are 3/8" dove tails mounted on the barrel. Does anyone know what kind of scope it would take? I probably paid a little to much for it but I REALLY NEEDED IT.
Either way I am a happy camper.
Work,Church & Home works for me.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii137/Bucky066/1920/DSCN0704.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii137/Bucky066/1920/DSCN0703.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii137/Bucky066/1920/DSCN0706.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii137/Bucky066/1920/DSCN0705.jpg[/img]

Last edited by velcro; 12/07/13.

Living in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian"
Semper Fi The Old Corps Era of the M-1 Garand�
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Happy happy happy! Beautiful!!

LOL
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Those are cool old rifles. Congrats on the find.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
where'd the pics go??

V
velcro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Refresh my memory Mr. Lightfoot was I suppose to send you some other pics.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those are old Unertl mounts for a Unertl target scope, or maybe a Lyman Super Target Spot or something like that.

Either way they're target mounts, the rings will cost you over $100 for a used set if you can find a some. Definitely not factory but do have a cool factor.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats, your M1920/26 has great condition for its age. With a period scope and mounts it will definitely be an "�ber" rifle. wink

Anyway you cut it, it's great to see these old rifles are still out there. smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
V
velcro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
The rifle is in a lot better shape then I thought Really in great shape. I went to the range today to shoot it and like I said up above about being a dummy I brought 243 ammo with me instead of 250-3000, DAH.
Mad Dog thanks for the info about the rings. I have already gone to my goto guy MR. Lightfoot about what to do scope wise but I,m guessing a Unertl or similar. It really doesn't need a scope with the Lyman Peep but I think it would look way cool. Those scopes thing's are really uncool expensive. We'll see

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by velcro
The rifle is in a lot better shape then I thought Really in great shape. I went to the range today to shoot it and like I said up above about being a dummy I brought 243 ammo with me instead of 250-3000, DAH.
Mad Dog thanks for the info about the rings. I have already gone to my goto guy MR. Lightfoot about what to do scope wise but I,m guessing a Unertl or similar. It really doesn't need a scope with the Lyman Peep but I think it would look way cool. Those scopes thing's are really uncool expensive. We'll see

I could use a peep like that for my former FILs that I just got, anybody got one for sale

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Velcro
Fantastic Find, I Know you've been looking for a Lyman 54 for some time now.
Really nice rifle, Both look great.
As Maddog Said to find rings for those bases are hard to com by.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
It would take a long tube Lyman, Unertl or Fecker, and yes they are stupid expensive rigs. But what the hey, keep your eye open. You never know what you may find and like the 54 it too may come attached to a rifle. Very nice 1920!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Someone is making new scope-scope mount set-up for those mounts now. Forget who. Cost around $800 last I saw. Used ones start about there for good ones. I have rifle, mauser action in 250 Savage, that still needs scope due to cost.... Local smith made weaver style mounts we put in same holes but can not find modern scope with long enough barrel or long enough eye relief. Project has gone to bottom of pile for now.

Bruce
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
You can find a Fecker or a Litschert in a relatively low power (6-10X) in one of their smaller sizes for about what you would pay for a new 3-9x Leupold. Good scopes, and would give years of service even though the newest one is over 50 years old now. The truly expensive target scopes are the big (15-20x) Unertls, Litscherts, Targetspots, etc. that fetch $6-900 these days. Leatherwood makes a couple long tube target scopes similar to the old Lyman A5/Winchester 5A with external adjustment mounts that would fit your blocks, but they aren't cheap and exhibit some of the undesirable traits of the old scopes they mimic. Oh, that someone would bring back the Unertl scope at an affordable price.

Rarely will you find a set of rings (mounts) separate from its scope. Buying a set of rings will still leave you searching for a scope, which you'll rarely find without its mounts. You can't have one without the other, and the scope is worthless without the mounts and vice versa.

I have a Unertl now for on my Krag single shot .22 Maximum Lovell, that I also can use on my M54 Winchester .30/30 which has a receiver sight and scope blocks like the OP's, and my .22 Martini. The neat thing about these scopes is if you make a notation of the micrometer adjustments you can switch them around between rifles and come back very close to original zero when you put it on either one.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Buffalo Arms in Idaho lists some scopes like this.

LOL
V
velcro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Great info on different scope manufactures. It seems every time I think I bought my last Savage one more thing pop's up.
You're right Steve you know how long I have been looking for that Lyman 54 & to find it on a 1920 in such good shape is pretty lucky.
I don,t need the scope but I think the rifle would really look good with a nice 24" USMC Target scope on it. I think I'm really pushing my luck now. So the search continues Pilgrim, Oh the sleepless night's.
Thanks Guy's

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Nice gun, wish I had your scope problem on a Model 20 like that. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice rifle. I had to buy a eurobubba'd 1926 to get the Lyman, then swap the bolt to my 1920.

I guess I could also swap barrels & stocks around to wind up with a 1920 with the Lyman, and without the scope mount holes in the action. But then I'd have a parts gun with no extra holes smirk Think I'll just go kill deer with it. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

V
velcro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Thank's Fireball for mentioning the Buffalo Arm's site, they have the USMC Target scope.
When I looked at the price for the mount's & the scope I told my wife we couldn't go on the cruise because we were loosing a lot of money in the stock market. She said OK just sell one of your gun's, I said well it's not doing THAT bad.

V
velcro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
OMIT

Last edited by velcro; 12/12/13.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,650
Posts18,455,461
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.